Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 03:19 AM

985 posts, read 1,854,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karstic View Post
Brits don't visit Europe as they are Europe, they might say the continent.
The fact that probably most Brits say Europe when they actually mean continental Europe was likely also a factor towards the Brexit result.
The feeling to be part of Europe (as a geographical or also loosely political term) seems to be even weaker than to be part of the EU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 04:51 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,596,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
The fact that probably most Brits say Europe when they actually mean continental Europe was likely also a factor towards the Brexit result.
The feeling to be part of Europe (as a geographical or also loosely political term) seems to be even weaker than to be part of the EU.

I go to France at least three times per year, sometimes more, I am in Hannover, Dortmund, or mostly Bielefeld at least twice per year, sometimes more.
If anyone asked me if I was going anywhere soon, I'd say, "Yes, France, or yes, Germany," I'd almost never say, "Yes, Europe", and not because the U.K. is geographically part of Europe either, simply because I would be going to either France or Germany.
Similarly, if I had a trip lined up to Savannah GA., and someone said, "Going anywhere soon Jean?", I wouldn't say "Yes, to America or the U.S.", I'd say "Yes, to Savannah."
I might add Georgia, as not every Brit would know where Savannah is, I might have to add U.S., in case they thought of Georgia near Russia.
As to the Brexit vote, I voted to stay, as I thought that was best, I've always considered that I'm a European, living in the U.K., which is part of Europe, it had very little to do with either my French or German connections.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:05 PM

112 posts, read 112,127 times
I used to live in a Town in England that has a Ferry to Cherbourg France. We used to get a foot passenger ticket for Ten Pounds and go for the weekend. I knew quite a few people with holiday homes in France, Spain, Portugal etc. Much the same as people who own Lakehouses and Cabins over here in the States for their "getaway". Its one of the things i miss most about living in the UK, Breakfast in a Cafe in England in the morning, Dinner in a Restaurant in the evening overlooking St Tropez and knowing the cost of the Flight was less than the Bottle of Wine on the table

Old 09-23-2016, 01:00 PM

1,529 posts, read 916,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karstic View Post
Brits don't visit Europe as they are Europe, they might say the continent.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
People visit Europe all the time, even day trips to France or cheap flights to most European destinations, and Europeans will want to make sure that Brexit doesn't effect tourism, and so will Britain.

Brexit won't have that many impications in terms of visiting, beyond the current exchange rate, and you always needed a passport to enter or leave the UK anyway, we were never part of the Schengen Agreement.

It's certainly no hastle visiting European countries, there are plenty of cheap budget airlines, ferries, trains etc and there is even a European International Coach network (Eurolines) similar to the US Greyhounds.

What is less certain is whether it will be as easy to live or work in the EU after Brexit, and the answer may well be probably not, although this all depends on negotiations so no one knows yet for certain.
Karstic said it best in post number 9.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
It is even harder for some Brits to accept and comprehend that they are part of a Europe that includes such countries as Russia, Belarus, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan just to name a few.

Old 09-24-2016, 01:32 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red baron View Post
It is even harder for some Brits to accept and comprehend that they are part of a Europe that includes such countries as Russia, Belarus, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan just to name a few.
I was once asked by a waitress in America, when I spoke to her, "you from Europe?" I replied, "No..... I'm from England."..............

Old 09-24-2016, 03:09 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,825 times
In general (and for many years) it is common for British people to visit Europe. Theres so many flights that go to countries like Spain for example from Glasgow there´s plenty of daily flights, imagine other big airports and that is just to Spain.

I first went on holiday to Spain when I was 2. Thereafter my parents took me two times per year, every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom