Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 05:11 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,049,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Introduce me to any English speaking state-school educated European under thirty years old that has any British accent. Half a million European students attend US universities who speak perfect English, all with American accents using American phrasing, words, and spelling. One will never hear the words lift over elevator, boot of a car over that of trunk, or aluminium.

There are over 315,000 Chinese students in US universities, all speak American English. Recently, I sat with two Chinese students one a Mandarin native speaker, the other Cantonese; they speak English with each other, completely American phrasing.

Hey, we love Hugh Laurie.
What has somebodies 'accent' got to do with anything!! I'm sorry but despite (some) Americans continually trying to claim the English language THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AMERICAN ENGLISH! Its the same language as the one the English speak there are HUNDREDS of differences in dialect and accents not just between the UK and the US but across the UK and across the US let alone 'other' Anglo English speaking nations! Everything you have said you have said in ENGLISH the language from the ENGLISH, if you doubt this I ask you again to repeat your posts using nothing but this 'American English' you claim exists?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 09:20 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,544,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanastra View Post
Just curious, do you feel the way Americans talk and spell English is infinitely inferior to the way you all do?
Nope as I'm not at all disrespectful to America and Americans that uses their version of the English language.

I rather like it

Old 09-12-2016, 07:29 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,027,399 times
The basic language is the same. Sure, as a Brit - and now an Anglo-American do I miss the propensity for cultural irony - the word play - on the other side of the pond, but the sweet clarity of Webster's - you can throw in the US contribution to slang - is OK too. English is English.

Last edited by modernist1; 09-12-2016 at 07:39 PM..

Old 09-12-2016, 07:48 PM

4,801 posts, read 2,809,263 times
Default We need sensible questions

Do British people view British English as the only "true" English?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanastra View Post
Just curious, do you feel the way Americans talk and spell English is infinitely inferior to the way you all do?
First of all, you'd need to define the first three bolded terms in line one above. Who are the British people ? Does that include the Scots, the Welsh, the Irish (Republic & Northern), the people who live on the various channel isles? & if it's only Great Britain, does it include anyone outside of London, or Greater London? The industrial areas, the great ports, & down by Stonehenge?

British English is the same kind of question - Which English? Received pronunciation? What the BBC announcers speak? What the English upper classes speak?

"true" English strains credulity - I see the adjective, & wonder what it's supposed to mean, or imply.

infinitely inferior is another howler - are we all supposed to fall down & worship @ the Anglo-Saxon altar? But wouldn't that mean some consideration is due to the Germanic peoples of Europe? & what of the Norman Conquest? Surely there's some consideration due them, as well.

No, no, this won't do @ all. Come back when you're formulated the questions better, or @ least to the point that they admit of some sensible answers.

& by the way, Americans is bad form. The New World is entirely populated by Americans - including the Canadians, who may be tired of the name of the continent being confused with the USA. Just between us, the UK & US typically refer to each other as cousins - kind of old-school-tie thing, I know, but it doesn't raise the ire of all our fellow continentals quite as much, there's a good fellow.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:42 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,389,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
I could never understand why the Americans felt the need to dumb the English language down.
Oi init bruvv. Ahhh mate thats well dog has it bluddd oi lets sketchit yo ay and hit the legs this is well waffle munter bruv.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:15 PM

14,355 posts, read 11,747,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Half a million European students attend US universities who speak perfect English, all with American accents
Funny, the only Europeans I know with American accents are the ones who came here as children. The older ones speak English with a German accent, a Dutch accent, a French accent, etc. You mean you don't have a good idea which country these European international students come from when you hear them speak?

Old 09-13-2016, 12:26 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,249,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Funny, the only Europeans I know with American accents are the ones who came here as children. The older ones speak English with a German accent, a Dutch accent, a French accent, etc. You mean you don't have a good idea which country these European international students come from when you hear them speak?
Good point, I have a lot of friends and associates from the Continent and they all speak English with their native accents

Old 09-13-2016, 12:31 AM

8,343 posts, read 273,160 times
I see in many American movies, phrases that misuse the word 'got'.
for example: "What do you got".
It's a grammatical perversity.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:34 AM

1,147 posts, read 719,561 times
I'm not American or British, but I'm more familiar with British English.

What is it with Americans saying "I could care less", or something along those lines? If you're implying that you don't care about something, then "I couldn't care less" actually makes more sense.

"I could care less" actually contradicts what the person is trying to imply (i.e. that they don't care whatsoever).

Old 09-13-2016, 07:50 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,189,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
What is it with Americans saying "I could care less", or something along those lines? If you're implying that you don't care about something, then "I couldn't care less" actually makes more sense.
I think I remember this being discussed here within the last few months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom