Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 01:41 PM

5 posts, read 2,946 times

Advertisements

I would be most appreciative of any information regarding the job market, rental prices and conditions, utility charges, transportation. I am 59 years of age, single and no children, so I do not need a huge living area, however, I would prefer to live alone if possible. I would eventually like to get another cat...if pets are allowed in most rentals. The U.S. is VERY discriminatory toward "older" workers. I am wondering if it is the same there? Actually, just ANY information would be helpful. I have a dear friend who just returned from vacation in England (I've always wanted to go!) said the people were charming and informative and if she didn't have grandchildren here, she'd be on the next plane. She said it's also beautiful, clean and the food is fresh. Something we Americans don't see much of. Anyone? Thank you in advance. Edenbridge, Kent would be my destination.

Last edited by helenlouise; 12-19-2016 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: Adding Edenbridge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 06:50 PM

296 posts, read 260,203 times
Sadly, yes there is discrimination to job seekers over the age of 50. However if you do not have the correct permit/visa you cannot work anyway... legally.
Edenbridge?? I doubt you will find any work there, maybe some part time work in a hotel etc. You probably know the only reason people go there is on the way to visit Hever Castle, spent a good few afternoons there myself. So, unless you get a job offer in advance, the prospects are not good.
Housing on the other hand is reasonably priced, you could probably live on a £1000pm budget quite comfortably. That would include you rent & other costs food, broadband, biils etc.
Most rentals are no pets. Also you probably would need to find a private landlord anyway, as you will no doubt fail a letting agents credit check.
Don't know where you live in the US, but the places i stayed were all clean with fresh food.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:33 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenlouise View Post
I would be most appreciative of any information regarding the job market, rental prices and conditions, utility charges, transportation. I am 59 years of age, single and no children, so I do not need a huge living area, however, I would prefer to live alone if possible. I would eventually like to get another cat...if pets are allowed in most rentals. The U.S. is VERY discriminatory toward "older" workers. I am wondering if it is the same there? Actually, just ANY information would be helpful. I have a dear friend who just returned from vacation in England (I've always wanted to go!) said the people were charming and informative and if she didn't have grandchildren here, she'd be on the next plane. She said it's also beautiful, clean and the food is fresh. Something we Americans don't see much of. Anyone? Thank you in advance. Edenbridge, Kent would be my destination.
I don't know that much (I'll readily admit) but from visiting there and having family there:

Yes about the food. The grocery stores I shopped in had everything. A lot of it was organic too, even frozen meals were organic. I took pictures inside the grocery stores because they were so clean and spacious. The food prices were the same as here.

It's incredibly beautiful in the countryside. Thing is, even if you're in an ugly place you're usually not too far from absolutely stunning countryside. Of course there is endless history to explore too.

It's just as hard, if not harder, to get a job in England. I think British people get paid while they are unemployed--maybe for quite a while too, but I'm not sure for how long. Probably won't apply to you though.

The weather is better than in the US. It's milder and never as hot as it gets here and never as icy cold and with such deep snow either.

BUT you probably can't live or work there. They have difficult immigration standards just as we do. I found out too late that I could have worked there! My grandparents were British and that made me eligible. My cousins are moving there--husband was born there, his wife's dad was born there. I know of other Americans who are moving there but the spouse is always a citizen.

Rental prices are about the same as where I live in New England but sometimes they're lower. If you now live in a cheap part of the US like Florida or other parts of the south, the rents in England would be more expensive. And you probably wouldn't have health care but I don't know.

We found the people to be really nice, very helpful. There is a lot more leisure time there and maybe that makes people more relaxed. I don't know what it is but the hatred that is apparent over here, if it does exist there, you don't hear it that much. I find England to be what the US was a long time ago in good ways.

My husband and I are thinking of leaving the US due to the scary election results but I'm pretty certain I can get in just because I am married to him. For you, either marry a British woman or go there for a visit. But I don't think there is a way for you to go there and work and stay there.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:54 PM

Thank you for your input. How would I go about obtaining a permit/visa? If I understand you correctly, you're saying I cannot work there for 6 months to see if I would want to stay with just a passport? Some people have said I cannot work OR live there. Why would that be? How about employment in larger cities? I admit my ignorance about this situation which is why I am trying to find out as much as I can. Thanks again.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:04 PM

Thank you for your input. Why would I not be able to live or work there? Don't people move to England from the U.S. all the time? I would think it would be the same as my friend who moved to the U.S. from England. She worked with me at the hospital laboratory for many years. I live in Oregon. I'll admit my ignorance on this subject (hence my inquiries) but it makes no sense to me that a person could not move there and find employment. Or move there at ALL, for that matter. Are you saying you have to be related to an English born person? I do not wish to renounce my U.S. citizenship, but what about dual citizenship? Help!! I'm so confused! (:

Old 12-19-2016, 10:06 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
The question has come up here before and some nice person added a link to their immigration site. I think it was a lot like the US policy. Here, you either marry a US citizen, get sponsored for a US job (which is nearly impossible because they have to prove that not enough Americans can do it) so the only people who get hired are doctors or high end scientists mostly.

Here, you get a three month visitor visa but you cannot over stay that visa. It's probably the same there. A work permit is something else and is probably only granted if a person qualifies for permanent residency.

Nurses used to get into the US because there was a shortage--I don't know if there still is.

No country wants competition for their jobs. Moving there, you would probably need have a job skill that they cannot fill themselves. If you were retired, you might be able to move there if you were rich. Same as here. I do see a lot of British people where I live and they have either married an American or they were transferred here because they worked for a British company that sent them here. Some are here because they went to college over here and converted their student visa to something permanent. One, a friend of my husband's moved to Florida in retirement because he was a millionaire. He hated it, sold his mansion, and moved back to England. But he was here because he bought his way in.

I think I know how you feel. A lot of people want to move to England. (Yes, I'm almost positive that you would need to be related to someone and they would sponsor you.)

Old 12-20-2016, 12:42 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,389 times
Helenlouise, only EU citizens have the right to go to the UK and look for work. Everyone else must have a definite job to go to so that a work permit can be arranged in advance of travelling. You cannot go to the UK as a tourist and change status in-country. To get a work permit you need to find a prospective employer who is able and willing to sponsor you. To have a realistic chance you need to be qualified to do something on the UK's occupation shortage list which you can find here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigrat...ccupation-list

Old 12-20-2016, 01:58 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,032,662 times
Quote:
I used to live in Edenbridge! Its quite a pleasant small market town, a bit quiet but that might be what you are looking for?

Old 12-20-2016, 07:42 AM

72 posts, read 70,332 times
Quote:
Not that anyone will take any notice of what I write, but so many people who post these "I want to live in UK" posts, based on a day dream, whim or because a friend said they had a lovely time during a one day trip while on vacation. Any way someone else has posted informative immigration stuff.

The grass isn't greener just because it's England. It's not as clean as you think, people pee and vomit on the streets because they can't hold their liquor and they are a very angry lot.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:52 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,323,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kas982 View Post
Housing on the other hand is reasonably priced, you could probably live on a £1000pm budget quite comfortably. That would include you rent & other costs food, broadband, biils etc.
And the rest. Housing in south east England is horrendously expensive. Rent on a one bed flat in Ednbridge starts at £750 for a basic one bed flat. Not sure how you would pay council tax, electricity, gas, water, phone, broadband, not to mention food. You would need a London job which would add hundreds in travel costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom