Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 12:03 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
People are angry. The refurbishment that you mentioned I think has played a big part in the fire, and it spread so rapidly – the plastic cladding was like paper. It just burned straight through. And so people are angry, and people want answers. There were many warnings, people raised their concerns, and nothing was done about it. And it’s our home community. It might not matter so much to Westminster, but it matters to us. We’re angry and sad.
ANGRY local residents suggest Grenfell Tower fire is a result of negligence | EvolvePolitics.com
That's what I'm hearing on BBC radio (the only news I can get besides American news that isn't covering it).

The tenants complained about the fire hazard but were ignored by management. Of course the place was pre-1974 so was immune to the sprinkler requirement too. I think it's that plastic/foam cladding myself--plastic produces that horrid dense black smoke. And since the place was covered with the cladding, of course it would spread nearly instantly like that.

(and it started with a stove exploding on one of the lower floors? One tenant claimed that and said he called for help and was reassured that it would be taken care of.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 12:18 PM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That's what I'm hearing on BBC radio (the only news I can get besides American news that isn't covering it).

The tenants complained about the fire hazard but were ignored by management. Of course the place was pre-1974 so was immune to the sprinkler requirement too. I think it's that plastic/foam cladding myself--plastic produces that horrid dense black smoke. And since the place was covered with the cladding, of course it would spread nearly instantly like that.

(and it started with a stove exploding on one of the lower floors? One tenant claimed that and said he called for help and was reassured that it would be taken care of.)
Heard earlier that it was a fridge that went on fire..maybe not though..

Old 06-14-2017, 03:11 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,063,385 times
Gosh, so many awful tragedies have been happening in the UK over the last few months.

Quote:
Heard earlier that it was a fridge that went on fire..maybe not though..
There was a case of a fridge exploding and catching fire, a few years ago, in South Wales. Unfortunately, a woman died because of it:

Cwmbran fire: Samantha Thomas died after fridge exploded - BBC News

It's awful to think that household appliances can start a fire in a house, sometimes during the night, as people sleep. There were cases of tumble dryers catching fire, a while back, too.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:19 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,063,385 times
Quote:
Man being interviewed has said that their were concerns about the cladding and he voiced his opinion with others at the time about safety...He went on to say he had been threatened..allegedly..
I expect there are other buildings covered with the same cladding, too. You would think the cladding would've been tested to see how flammable it was, before using it to cover a large building.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:02 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
It's all over the news here in Canada. Terrible tragedy. Lots to answer for like only one staircase in a building that large? Why didn't the sprinklers work, or were there any? I've heard that there is no code to have sprinklers, at least according to the BBC.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:18 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
It's all over the news here in Canada. Terrible tragedy. Lots to answer for like only one staircase in a building that large? Why didn't the sprinklers work, or were there any? I've heard that there is no code to have sprinklers, at least according to the BBC.
I read that that sprinklers weren't required when that building was built in 1974. The sprinkler law is not retroactive.

There will be a big investigation--hoping something will change, especially whatever it is with that cladding. Whether it's because of what it was made of or due to how it was put on, allowing for an air space that served to feed the fire upwards. Both theories were being discussed.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:38 PM

17,622 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Perhaps those on the council should give up all their homes for these people and let the council move into the charred husk they created!

Old 06-15-2017, 01:47 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
I expect there are other buildings covered with the same cladding, too. You would think the cladding would've been tested to see how flammable it was, before using it to cover a large building.
A spokesman about buildings on radio yesterday said that it was a grey area about usage on building... It seems the person in the flat where the fire started had time to pack bags before leaving, when maybe he should have been finding a fire blanket or some foam.. surely in high rise flats they have fire hoses etc...

Old 06-15-2017, 04:12 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,512,636 times
One pictures that is emerging from this terrible tragedy is that if Grenfell Tower is representative of social housing throughout London and other areas of the UK too it seems to be wholly given over to foreign immigrants.
This huge and growing strain on Britain's social housing - together with similar pressures on our health and education system - could be why corners were cut to save money on fire safety during the Tower's refurbishment.
And with net migration to the UK running into hundreds of thousands every year where exactly are those people,often poor,going to be housed except in unsafe and inadequate housing ?

Old 06-16-2017, 07:20 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Death toll climbs to 30. I think there are still people missing too, right?

My gosh, this is terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom