Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2017, 07:55 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,975,307 times

Advertisements

Long story short I need to name my daughters homeshcool when I register her. Hubs and I are both Irish decent on mother and father side and would like a little nod to that. We are also atheists so we wanted something with a non religious meaning. We looked for something close to "reason" or "common sense" and came up with Ciall (would call it Ciall Academy). I'm having issues on the pronunciation only because most of them are computer generated. Is it pronounced Key-eel or Keel? Or are both of those wrong? Anyone able to help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 11:34 AM

16,685 posts, read 8,677,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Long story short I need to name my daughters homeshcool when I register her. Hubs and I are both Irish decent on mother and father side and would like a little nod to that. We are also atheists so we wanted something with a non religious meaning. We looked for something close to "reason" or "common sense" and came up with Ciall (would call it Ciall Academy). I'm having issues on the pronunciation only because most of them are computer generated. Is it pronounced Key-eel or Keel? Or are both of those wrong? Anyone able to help?
I am confused.
You say that you are both "atheists", therefore do not want a religious sounding/meaning name. But just because you do not believe in God does not mean you cannot have an appealing name that might have it's roots in the bible.
It is not as if being an atheist has some rules about not allowing certain religious things to be involved in your lives, right?

As to your overall question, my knowledge on Irish names and how to pronounce them is so limited, I cannot help.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:45 AM

18,544 posts, read 18,807,370 times
Quote:
Listen to the three... Irish Pronunciation Database: ciall your very close though..

Old 07-10-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I am confused.
You say that you are both "atheists", therefore do not want a religious sounding/meaning name. But just because you do not believe in God does not mean you cannot have an appealing name that might have it's roots in the bible.
It is not as if being an atheist has some rules about not allowing certain religious things to be involved in your lives, right?

As to your overall question, my knowledge on Irish names and how to pronounce them is so limited, I cannot help.
We don't want any connection to religion in our school or it's name/curriculum. We are vehemently against religion. I wouldn't expect a Catholic to include some Muslim reference in their school name. We are science, reasoning, knowledge based and wanting name to reflex that.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Listen to the three... Irish Pronunciation Database: ciall your very close though..
Thanks!

Old 07-12-2017, 11:08 AM

16,685 posts, read 8,677,212 times
Quote:
We don't want any connection to religion in our school or it's name/curriculum. We are vehemently against religion. I wouldn't expect a Catholic to include some Muslim reference in their school name. We are science, reasoning, knowledge based and wanting name to reflex that.

I know this is not the topic of your thread, but indugle me, as I would not want to start a thread on the subject just to get your viewpoint.
Also, I am not being critical as I respect your right to believe or not to believe.

What that said, not being religious is certainly different than being "against religion". I am not a Muslim, Buddhist, or any other variety. However that does not make me against those religions. As long as they are peaceful and not killing in the name of their beliefs, I harbor no ill will toward them.

So it makes me wonder why an atheist (not that you are representative of all of them) who does not believe in religion, would be against religion to such a degree you do not want your kids name to even have a hint of a religious origin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom