Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 08:37 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

Y'all - I can hardly wait. I'm so excited! We will be there for about 10 days. That includes travel days so eight days on the ground.

My husband lived in Dundee for six months working about fifteen years ago so he's somewhat familiar with Scotland, and he also made a couple of trips to Ireland as well. I think we will save Ireland for another separate trip so let's focus on Scotland.

We visited London and Yorkshire a couple of years ago and loved it but once again - going to focus on Scotland this trip. We're thinking of flying into Manchester (via DFW airport) and renting a car (my husband can drive easily "on the wrong side of the road" so we prefer our own transportation rather than public transportation). Any suggestions on particular airports? I chose Manchester (so far) because we do want to see Hadrian's Wall and the lowcountry border since that's where my ancestors hail from (northern England and southern Scotland for the most part).

We'd like to see some Druid stone circles and sites. Also of course Edinburgh because doesn't everyone have to see that city when they go to Scotland? And Loch Ness of course (same reason). But we're open to other suggestions.

I don't want a frantic pace but I do want to see the Highlands as well, and Skye, if possible.

I'd like to end each day in a pub with some whiskey and some haggis or something like that - LOL. I've heard that the Scots are generally a friendly bunch. I loved the people of Yorkshire so hopefully Scots are similar. Who knows - guess I will find out!

Your thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks! CAN'T WAIT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2017, 09:36 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,225 times
Hello Kathryn, this is a good place to start:
Undiscovered Scotland: Home Page

Old 12-02-2017, 09:47 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brontosaurus View Post
Hello Kathryn, this is a good place to start:
Undiscovered Scotland: Home Page

Oh thank you - I love discovering sites that are off the beaten path.

I am perusing a map and travel routes and I keep forgetting that Scotland is about as big as East Texas in it's totality. That puts things in perspective for me travel time wise.

Old 12-02-2017, 10:24 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Great, Kathryn! I haven't been to Scotland yet but my cousin was there this summer. I think they flew into Edinburgh, not sure. That's where the flight went even though they were headed towards Wales.

They said the Scottish people were wonderful! Friendly, fun, sweet. They had bad weather but the people didn't seem to mind--they were still fun, helpful, and pleasant to be around.

Manchester Airport. I am familiar with that airport because that's dh's "pet" airport; he used to live nearby and he used to go plane spotting there. It's simple to rent a car there, there was an Airport Hotel and that would be really convenient if you landed at night. That hotel may or may not be open (they were messing around with it) but just drive north from the airport and there are lots of places to stay.

Have you been to the Lake District? It's known for its beauty and in it is Wordworth's cottage which is well worth a visit. It's crowded in summer but not so bad in springtime. The driving will be a thrill for your dh (if he's anything like my dh, lol) on narrow, winding hilly roads. We stopped at the ruins of a Roman Fort on the way up!

You'll be close to the Bronte Sisters parsonage in Haworth and that's worth seeing.

In two days, we did the Bronte Parsonage, Levens Hall Topiary, and the Lake District. https://www.levenshall.co.uk/ --just to give you an idea of how close together things are and how long it takes. Yeh, I could have spent a long time in the Lake District, but you can get a pretty good taste of the area in a day.

Hubby is the expert because he comes from the Manchester area, went to school in Yorkshire, and had relatives in Scotland that he used to visit. I can ask him later. I would definitely recommend Manchester Airport though as safe, small enough to navigate, fairly efficient, easy to rent a car (reserve in advance before you go and it will be ready) has good access in and out, and convenient to where you are going.

Old 12-02-2017, 10:27 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,746,219 times
Sounds like a blast...have fun!

Old 12-02-2017, 03:14 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,225 times
Get a small car to fit on the small roads or you'll be sorry!
Scotfax: Driving Single Track Roads on Undiscovered Scotland

Old 12-02-2017, 03:21 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
"M61 out of the airport towards Liverpool. Pick up the M6 and turn north and follow that up to Scotland, just outside of Glasgow. If you are traveling up the M6 you will cross Hadrian's Wall going into Scotland.

When you get to Manchester airport, go into W.H. Smith's and buy the map book of Great Britain. It's large format with a red cover--will give all the highways and in the back is a small section that tells where things are. Places are marked on the map."

--from the horse's mouth, lol. You might want to buy a guidebook when you get to Scotland too. We used GPS throughout England but, in the long run, the travel atlas was a huge help.

Old 12-02-2017, 03:26 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
I had 2 weeks in Edinbrough this September. 2 weeks wasn't enough for JUST Edinbrough IMHO, though we did kill 1 day with a cheesy Highlands bus tour (skipped Loche Ness, read that it's nothing but Tourist Cheese).

Anyway, we walked all over. Played golf on one of the free courses (our AirB&B had clubs, but they can be rented), explored a few of the museums, spent way too little time at the arboretum, hiked Arthur's Seat, drank a lot of beer, tried a little whiskEy (nope, still don't like the stuff), ate a ton of food.. though half of it was self-prepared. Mostly we tried to stay out of the touristy sections though.

I absolutely loved it. I really like Ireland too, but Edinburgh was just another step above IMHO. The locals were truly fantastic, even if we were American tourists. Our next trip over there will involve a camper van and touring the Highlands more (on our own).

My best suggestion is to not short-change yourself by trying to do the typical drive-by vacation (is that an American thing or do other's do that too?) I know time is short and there's a lot to see, but do you Really want to just say "yeah I saw that too" or would you rather take some time and really explore/experience?

Old 12-02-2017, 04:11 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,430,247 times
Edinburgh Castle is great but Stirling is better (IMO)

Also look into Queen Elizabeth Country Park and the Trossachs, make sure you take in a distillery tour.

We found Nether Largie stone circle on the way from Helensburgh to Oban, its somewhere along that west coast route.

Also shop on Sauchiehall Street (Sockie) and Buchanan St in Glasgow, take in the beautiful Princes Square and don't forget the Art Deco Willow tea rooms.

About an hour north of Glasgow is Helensburgh where the Hill House is Rennie Mackintosh's Art Deco masterpiece, he was way ahead of his time in design. Helensburgh is also home of Alexander Graham Bell, John Logie Baird and Stevenson, all are commemorated around the town in one way or another. If you are looking for accommodation or just great food Rosslea Hall in nearby Rhu is lovely.

As you can probably tell I lived near Helensburgh for nearly 10 years so know that area pretty well. The drive north from Helensburgh via Inverary to Oban is stunning (if a little narrow in places)

Dizzybint will be along soon with much much more info

Old 12-02-2017, 05:28 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,144,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brontosaurus View Post
Get a small car to fit on the small roads or you'll be sorry!
Scotfax: Driving Single Track Roads on Undiscovered Scotland

truer words were never written. there's apparently some headlight flashing/single lane road etiquette thing i was initially unaware of and i may have frustrated a local or two with my lack of knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom