Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2018, 09:34 AM

18,096 posts, read 15,670,593 times

Advertisements

Too much drama in the Merkle family. I'd want to be separated from all of that too. The monarchy, though they've had their own family drama over the decades, is not real keen on adding to the drama. Meghan is anxious to fit in and stay in. Why this particular 'role' is what she wanted is a bit of a mystery to me. She certainly had other options for climbing social ladders, and with a lot more freedom, but this is the path she wanted and she's well on her way.

Merkle is lucky she is in this generation because of the relaxing of the rules. Harry is a particular favorite of the queen, so if anyone could have rules bent in their favor, it was going to be him, plus his family seems to want to make sure he's happy. Had this been a generation ago though, Merkle would not have been acceptable to the royal family (IMO).

As for Diana, poor thing was mentally ill (Borderline Personality Disorder, according to a psychiatrist friend of mine). That wasn't the fault of the royal family, but she was emotionally ill-suited to ever be in such a controlling, structured and cold environment for a marriage, and that situation certainly didn't help her illness. And she wreaked havoc from her end, as BPD-afflicted people generally do.

I make no predictions for the longevity of Harry's marriage. Who knows, it could be one that lasts many decades and is happy and productive.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:44 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
Andrew Morton, the same guy who wrote Princess Diana's biography, says in his new book about Meghan that the half-brother DID live in the same house when Meghan was a baby.

In fact, the half-brother used to smoke pot in the house with his friends. His father didn't mind until Meghan was born. Their dad pretended to do something disgusting to chase his son's friends away . . . he ate chocolate pudding out of a diaper, pretending it was poo.

The incident is somewhere in the middle of this video, which contains excerpts from the book. Also more details about the lottery win, which evidently didn't go according to plan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqhBetxufSk

Old 05-18-2018, 10:38 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I think it would be so much more charming if Ms Markle embraced her family and friends, warts and all. I suspect what she objects to is that her family will reveal the Meghan beneath the acting, and that's what she wants to hide.
Or maybe they're dysfunctional opportunists. Certainly seems that's the case with her siblings and their offspring.

She has many friends invited and coming to the wedding.

Old 05-18-2018, 11:03 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Or maybe they're dysfunctional opportunists. Certainly seems that's the case with her siblings and their offspring.

New friends are invited, but old friends and family are not invited. Half siblings are her family and regardless of the difficulties they have experienced in life, that does not justify rejecting them. In fact, if she was genuinely a person who cared about those in need, she would first address those in need who are standing in her backyard.

Old 05-18-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Andrew Morton, the same guy who wrote Princess Diana's biography, says in his new book about Meghan that the half-brother DID live in the same house when Meghan was a baby.

In fact, the half-brother used to smoke pot in the house with his friends. His father didn't mind until Meghan was born. Their dad pretended to do something disgusting to chase his son's friends away . . . he ate chocolate pudding out of a diaper, pretending it was poo.

The incident is somewhere in the middle of this video, which contains excerpts from the book. Also more details about the lottery win, which evidently didn't go according to plan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqhBetxufSk
Sorry, didn't watch the video. I'm not a big fan of Andrew Morton who started his career in the tabloids, including the Daily Mail. Many of the supposed facts in his biographies are contested by those he's covered and/or their family and friends. Who knows the real truth to any of this? One thing is sure - Meghan and her mom are about the only people who AREN'T talking through their own agendas. Not saying they don't have an agenda because I'm sure they do - but thankfully they're not running their mouths, getting in wrecks, checking into hospitals, calling up tabloids, talking with TMZ and anyone else who will listen - honestly, it's sad and distasteful to me

Sounds like a typical shared custody sort of thing with kids floating between parents when it comes to the half brother, who is 15 years older than Meghan by the way. And the crazy half sister doesn't seem to get along with ANYONE - she is estranged from both her mom and her brother and Meghan.

She says this: "We had the same father, she was in our lives. We had two households, there was a bridge. We were united. So I thought, why doesn't she call me?" So they did have two households, not one. Makes sense. I have never heard and can't find any indication that she and her crazy brother weren't raised by their mom as well as their dad. Seems to me they floated between homes that were pretty close together, which is often a pretty good, and common, arrangement with divorced parents.

Samantha Grant's own kids have distanced themselves from their mother, by the way - it's her nephew and his mom (the ex wife of the half brother), not her kids who have accompanied her to London to be "commentators" on the royal wedding. What a hot mess!

Old 05-18-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
New friends are invited, but old friends and family are not invited. Half siblings are her family and regardless of the difficulties they have experienced in life, that does not justify rejecting them. In fact, if she was genuinely a person who cared about those in need, she would first address those in need who are standing in her backyard.
Have you read the crazy stuff her half brother and half sister have been saying to the press? Not to mention, her brother getting arrested several times for domestic abuse. Not just recently - for at least a year. I wouldn't have a thing to do with either of them, regardless of being related to them.

See, coming from a dysfunctional family myself, I've found that I've had to distance myself from the crazy, and establish very clear boundaries, which is sad but sometimes necessary. I didn't invite my brothers to my wedding either, though I did include my parents. Now - I have a good relationship with both brothers now, but at the time, I was not close to either of them. And it took a great deal of effort ON MY PART to build a healthy relationship with both of them, and it has only flourished in the past ten or twelve years. I'm grateful for that but it took a lot of firmness on my part, especially with my youngest brother, who frankly has been a mess for decades.

I am as far as I know, the only member of the family who has voluntarily gone to counseling in order to make sense out of all the dysfunction, and I'm glad I did because now I am happily married (though my brothers were not at the wedding) and both brothers now like my husband and love and respect me. Like I said though - it took work on my part. Maybe on theirs too, but I was the first to reach out, to get counseling, to try to rebuild relationships shattered by mental illness, addiction, abuse, etc. I didn't feel whole or able to really incorporate them (or my parents) into my life in a healthy, strong, honest way (with boundaries) till I was in my forties. It was a huge effort on my part and took years to work through.

So yes, I do empathize with Meghan Markle. I'm sure she also has some emotional issues, maybe even character issues as well, to sort through. But I don't believe that we "owe" anyone anything just because we're related to them.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 05-18-2018 at 11:27 AM..

Old 05-18-2018, 11:24 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,682,916 times
The video cleared up a few things. I am going to reserve judgement--maybe I'll never make up my mind, lol.

Dad's lottery winnings mystery--he did win but apparently he owned money to Meghan's mom and didn't want to pay it. So he hid out and sent someone else to pick up the money. The person double crossed him and stole the money! Supposedly. Yet, I read somewhere that he used his lottery winnings to send Meghan to the fancy school. It doesn't quite add up. Now he's sounding like a bit of a lout.

She was very drawn to Diana, watched the funeral on tv, was very interested in her and maybe used her as a role model. Probably she became interested in charities due to her interest in Diana.

Her husband was devoted to her and even relocated to New York City when she started working in Toronto. But she had discovered a new circle of friends and sent his rings back in the mail. Seems that he was very hurt. But then it is not unusual for someone to find new friends and a new life--

She had become a party girl. Trump came around at some point and lured some of her friends onto his tv show but not Meghan.

(Just some highlights of the interesting video.)

Old 05-18-2018, 11:35 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The video cleared up a few things. I am going to reserve judgement--maybe I'll never make up my mind, lol.

Dad's lottery winnings mystery--he did win but apparently he owned money to Meghan's mom and didn't want to pay it. So he hid out and sent someone else to pick up the money. The person double crossed him and stole the money! Supposedly. Yet, I read somewhere that he used his lottery winnings to send Meghan to the fancy school. It doesn't quite add up. Now he's sounding like a bit of a lout.

She was very drawn to Diana, watched the funeral on tv, was very interested in her and maybe used her as a role model. Probably she became interested in charities due to her interest in Diana.

Her husband was devoted to her and even relocated to New York City when she started working in Toronto. But she had discovered a new circle of friends and sent his rings back in the mail. Seems that he was very hurt. But then it is not unusual for someone to find new friends and a new life--

She had become a party girl. Trump came around at some point and lured some of her friends onto his tv show but not Meghan.

(Just some highlights of the interesting video.)
Morton said that her claim that she didn't know anything about the Royal family was disingenuous. It does leave one wondering about what else is disingenuous.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:26 PM

2,276 posts, read 1,670,725 times
I may take a look at the wedding for the gown and the setting, as I love the town of Windsor and that gorgeous chapel. Other than that, I have no big interest.

I have the gut feeling that Meghan is an opportunist and I hope Harry doesn't get burned in the long run. Hopefully the interest in charities will remain and Meghan will enjoy playing her "role" in the royal family, as I feel that's what she feels she has attained. She sure dumped her former husband and other live-in boyfriend in less than a compassionate manner, which they did nothing to deserve.

Her half-sibs are a train wreck and her former SIL and nephews are worse (going to London to be commentators on British tv although they haven't seen her in years). Her half-sister changing her name back to Markle and her nephew naming a new pot blend Markle Sparkle - enough said. We mostly all have "that in-law" but these are really classless.

With the Texas tragedy which happened today, it all seems irrelevant. But I hope and wish for the best for Harry as I remember so well that sad little boy walking behind his mother's casket.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:35 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

Yeah, they are all the new more influential friends she made after discarding the old friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom