Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 06:45 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,602,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
Sounds a bit negative Paul, why so?
I lived in a city for 40 years and that was enough for me. I got out and never looked back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 06:53 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
In no particular order, ya'll should go off the beaten path to:

Charleston, South Carolina
Greenville, South Carolina
Charlotte, South Carolina
Austin, Texas
Seattle, Washington
Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
Portland, Oregon
Petosky, Michigan and the other towns up in the mitten
Asheville, North Carolina
Denver, Colorado
Boulder, Colorado
Ithaca, New York
Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts
Lexington, Kentucky
Galena, Illinois
New Bern, North Carolina
Lake Tahoe, California/Nevada

Oh forget it - too many to mention. It's a big country. Why does everyone all go to the same few places? There is so much more.
Amen to this.

We have some friends who are from Belgium and one of their favorite things to do is come stateside and rent a car and take off across different regions, off the interstate highways. After doing this all over the US, they have decided that, in spite of the heat, Texas and the rest of the south eastward is their favorite region, which is a surprise to me but yay them! They LOVE Austin and San Antonio especially. Heck they even like Dallas and I told them "I love Texas and don't even like Dallas!"

Anyway, one thing that was funny though was when they visited a couple of years ago in May. My husband and I love to sit out on our patio and our backyard is well shaded and green and comfortable. May is absolutely one of my very favorite months down here in Texas, and it was about 80 degrees (about 26 C) and GORGEOUS outside so I said, "Hey, let's sit out on the patio!" We went out there with a bottle of wine and within about five minutes they were exclaiming, "It's so hot here - how can you stand it?" I said, "Well, it does get hot from about the middle of June through September," and they said, "No, it's so hot right now!" They were all flushed and pink and sweaty. I said, "OK, let's go inside but my goodness, you really ain't seen nothin' yet. If you really want to experience the reality of living in the US, come visit in the summertime - really ANYWHERE on the east coast or south or through the midwest. This is considered beautiful weather right about now!"

Anyway, I live in the Tyler, TX metro and one of their favorite things to do is drive around looking at real estate with realtor.com opened up, looking up square footage, prices, etc. They are always amazed.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:02 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,187,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
They LOVE Austin and San Antonio especially. Heck they even like Dallas and I told them "I love Texas and don't even like Dallas!"

Anyway, one thing that was funny though was when they visited a couple of years ago in May. My husband and I love to sit out on our patio and our backyard is well shaded and green and comfortable. May is absolutely one of my very favorite months down here in Texas, and it was about 80 degrees (about 26 C) and GORGEOUS outside so I said, "Hey, let's sit out on the patio!" We went out there with a bottle of wine and within about five minutes they were exclaiming, "It's so hot here - how can you stand it?" I said, "Well, it does get hot from about the middle of June through September," and they said, "No, it's so hot right now!" They were all flushed and pink and sweaty.
I'm in San Antonio and this morning a friend in London was worrying that it was gonna hit 86 degrees. I told him that we call that a cool spell around here. I can see that it would be uncomfortable for someone not used to it. Even worse without an air conditioner.

I grew up in south Florida, so this heat and relative lack of humidity are easy to take.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:34 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Amen to this.

Anyway, one thing that was funny though was when they visited a couple of years ago in May. My husband and I love to sit out on our patio and our backyard is well shaded and green and comfortable. May is absolutely one of my very favorite months down here in Texas, and it was about 80 degrees (about 26 C) and GORGEOUS outside so I said, "Hey, let's sit out on the patio!" We went out there with a bottle of wine and within about five minutes they were exclaiming, "It's so hot here - how can you stand it?" I said, "Well, it does get hot from about the middle of June through September," and they said, "No, it's so hot right now!" They were all flushed and pink and sweaty. I said, "OK, let's go inside but my goodness, you really ain't seen nothin' yet. If you really want to experience the reality of living in the US, come visit in the summertime - really ANYWHERE on the east coast or south or through the midwest. This is considered beautiful weather right about now!"
I'm not from Texas, but I lived in Dallas for 17 years with my ex-husband. Yep, 80 is nothing there.

Now, I'm in the North Georgia mountains and our average high in the hottest months is about 85. May here is still fairly cool.

Since living here, I've become extremely intolerant of heat, which is amazing considering I grew up in Florida. I think changing hormones have affected my temperature regulation.

I intend to move to a higher altitude in North Carolina where I will be somewhere between 3500 and 4100 feet. My winters will be a bit colder, but my summer temperatures will be in the 70s. But I'll still be in the southeast!

If I'm really lucky, I could always spend January and February in Destin, Florida. Or I can just head down the mountains and be at a lower altitude in a short time.

That would be the best of all worlds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom