Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 01:56 PM

8 posts, read 189,754 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

This is about to be a bit of a rage thread mixed with serious questions. My wife, 3 year old, and I are in the US and we are sick of it. We are starting to understand every day why other countries are so sick of us. We are both Ex Military and feel like it was for nothing. This country is full of racist idiots (I'm white and sometimes embarrassed because of some of these idiots here)). I know every country has their own "intelligent" citizens, but in the US, everyone walks around like they deserve something for nothing. Here if you are lazy in school, you get labeled as "slow learning" and then passed without being failed. Illegal immigrants that cross the border and pop a baby, get financial help as well as a few years of college paid for their kids. I'm disabled, ex military and my wife is ex military and my son doesn't get any help with college, but yet illegals get help... Our economy is in the toilet, our school system is complete GARBAGE, and everyone here is more important than everyone else. I know I'm not the brightest crayon in the box, but I try to correct my spelling and grammar, yet the sixteen year old kids here can't even spell "with" correctly. I'm sick of the US, and the people that reside here.

We want to get the hell out of here, and after doing some research we just feel like Scotland is great for us. It seems to be great for a family that wants to live comfortably (not trying to be millionaires, just happy), and what the hell, I'm second US born from Scotland! However, I wanted opinions from people that live there or have lived there. We know we have to save up and this will be process lasting a few years, so I know this won't happen soon.

The education is ranked higher than the US, though Scotland has a high murder rate in the UK, the US still has more than double the crime index Scotland has, Edinburg has high tourism (so jobs there), rent is lower (I know cost of living can be higher), the unemployment beats the US into the dirt (as well as being one of the lowest in the UK), and so far everyone says they are very welcoming! My wife is a mechanic so Edinburg and it's cruise ships seem like a fit (she was a mechanic in the Navy).

So basically is Scotland as great as I'm reading? Would some Americans be as welcomed as it's made out to be? If not Scotland, where in the UK would be a decent place to live? We want to be near a city, but we do enjoy our wide open grassy fields. Any opinions are welcomed and to people about to troll saying "gtfo of the US if you're so unhappy" ..that's what I'm trying to do, so save your breath...

Last edited by ctoptrophobe; 05-06-2013 at 02:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 03:20 PM

490 posts, read 682,031 times
I was born in Scotland and spent 7yrs living back there until 2010 nr Edinburgh.

If you're looking to avoid racists then Scotland has its share of those, but no more than anywhere else.

The education system is good and Edinburgh is a beautiful city. High cost of living by Scottish standards though.

Don't know where in the US you're from but the weather in Scotland is cool and wet for the most part, but that's why the highlands are so beautiful.

I'd say it's a good place to live, the crime rate is lower than the US, gun crime is non existant compared to America. The biggest crime problems in Scotland are drugs and petty disorder (the Scots like a drink!) but I rarely encountered any trouble while I lived there. If you can afford to live in a reasonable area then you'll see no crime.

If you can cope with the weather there's no reason not to be in Scotland.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:42 PM

See I actually love cold and wet weather. My back and my wife's arthritis doesn't though lol.

Yea I know there is racism everywhere, just human nature I guess, but it just seems like it's more open here. I live in a hick town full of people who claim others are ignorant and stupid, yet they couldn't spell their own name without looking at their underwear. It's just getting to the point that I'm starting to think the slang "troll" is Latin for American.

I've been reading up and seeing that cost of living is high, but rent is fairly cheaper. So what about jobs, my wife has been searching and it seems like there is a decent amount of jobs (specifically for mechanic), what was your experience with this?

Also why did you move? I see your profile says you are in England now. Was it an issue with Scotland or was it something like work/school related? Last question, how welcoming is the majority of Scotland towards Americans? If I went to England or Canada I'd have to pretend I wasn't American (from from my own experiences of talking with the English and Canadians.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:02 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,544,434 times
Did you imply you have UK born parents? Or do you qualify for visa otherwise?

Old 05-06-2013, 04:13 PM

490 posts, read 682,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctoptrophobe View Post
So what about jobs, my wife has been searching and it seems like there is a decent amount of jobs (specifically for mechanic), what was your experience with this?

Also why did you move? I see your profile says you are in England now. Was it an issue with Scotland or was it something like work/school related? Last question, how welcoming is the majority of Scotland towards Americans? If I went to England or Canada I'd have to pretend I wasn't American (from from my own experiences of talking with the English and Canadians.
No idea about the job market for mechanics. Scotland's unemployment rate is about average for the UK. Edinburgh has more jobs than most locations in Scotland.

I moved for work reasons.

I can see no reason why an American wouldn't be welcomed in Scotland. Just so long as you're not one of those "boo yah USA! USA!" types

Old 05-06-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Did you imply you have UK born parents? Or do you qualify for visa otherwise?
No, I mean my grandmother is from Scotland, or so I'm told

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart G. Griffin View Post
No idea about the job market for mechanics. Scotland's unemployment rate is about average for the UK. Edinburgh has more jobs than most locations in Scotland.

I moved for work reasons.

I can see no reason why an American wouldn't be welcomed in Scotland. Just so long as you're not one of those "boo yah USA! USA!" types
Yea I'm definitely not going boo yah, that's why I want out. This country has gone to ****, but no one in power within the US is willing to admit it.

Well you are definitely boosting my hopes for this move! I'm just hoping my wife and I can get visa's. She's already contacting places to work, my worry is myself. I'm considered 60% disabled due to the military, but the VA helps and provides me with compensation for not being able to work and I found out that will carry over to other countries. Just don't know if that will look bad when trying to get a visa...

Old 05-06-2013, 04:47 PM

442 posts, read 800,296 times
Can you afford a short trip?

And yeah, that other dude brings up a good point -- you'll need a visa.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:11 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,480,377 times
Quote:
See I actually love cold and wet weather. My back and my wife's arthritis doesn't though lol.

Yea I know there is racism everywhere, just human nature I guess, but it just seems like it's more open here. I live in a hick town full of people who claim others are ignorant and stupid, yet they couldn't spell their own name without looking at their underwear. It's just getting to the point that I'm starting to think the slang "troll" is Latin for American.

I've been reading up and seeing that cost of living is high, but rent is fairly cheaper. So what about jobs, my wife has been searching and it seems like there is a decent amount of jobs (specifically for mechanic), what was your experience with this?

I'll not attempt to dissuade you from Scotland as our heritage is Scottish and we have many "still-living" relatives there. Have spent months there at a time. A wonderful country you can enjoy with gusto.

I would however wish to address your last sentence regarding Canada or England. Those Canadians you talked to should have also raised the issue of the Boo-Raaah, numero-uno stuff being the single biggest factor regarding your acceptance in either of those countries. As long as that is kept contained you'll fit right in virtually anywhere you wish to relocate without the need of hiding your origins.

Certainly a visit would be in order to verify, I would think.

Best of luck in your future endeavours and might I say it's a very great pity you have come to feel the way you do about your home country.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:12 PM

Oh we are definitely going to go for a trip first. I just want to get opinions before I save up and spend money heading out there. As for the Visa, not sure yet. We are waiting for some contacts to email us back with some info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I'll not attempt to dissuade you from Scotland as our heritage is Scottish and we have many "still-living" relatives there. A wonderful country you can enjoy with gusto.

I would however wish to address your last sentence regarding Canada or England. Those Cnadians you talked to should have also raised the issue of the Boo-Raaah, numero-uno stuff being the single biggest factor regarding your acceptance in either of those countries. As long as that is kept contained you'll fit right in virtually anywhere you wish to relocate.

Certainly a visit would be in order to verify, I would think.

Best of luck in your future endeavours and might I say it's a very great pity you have come to feel the way you do about your home country.

I agree, it is a pity... No one should feel that way about the place they were born and raised, but unfortunately it happens. There's just too much stupidity here and no one to address it. Our country is slowly destroying itself and causing more and more problems for the entire world.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:39 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,240,463 times
Quote:
Hello all!

This is about to be a bit of a rage thread mixed with serious questions. My wife, 3 year old, and I are in the US and we are sick of it. We are starting to understand every day why other countries are so sick of us. We are both Ex Military and feel like it was for nothing. This country is full of racist idiots (I'm white and sometimes embarrassed because of some of these idiots here)). I know every country has their own "intelligent" citizens, but in the US, everyone walks around like they deserve something for nothing. Here if you are lazy in school, you get labeled as "slow learning" and then passed without being failed. Illegal immigrants that cross the border and pop a baby, get financial help as well as a few years of college paid for their kids. I'm disabled, ex military and my wife is ex military and my son doesn't get any help with college, but yet illegals get help... Our economy is in the toilet, our school system is complete GARBAGE, and everyone here is more important than everyone else. I know I'm not the brightest crayon in the box, but I try to correct my spelling and grammar, yet the sixteen year old kids here can't even spell "with" correctly. I'm sick of the US, and the people that reside here.

We want to get the hell out of here, and after doing some research we just feel like Scotland is great for us. It seems to be great for a family that wants to live comfortably (not trying to be millionaires, just happy), and what the hell, I'm second US born from Scotland! However, I wanted opinions from people that live there or have lived there. We know we have to save up and this will be process lasting a few years, so I know this won't happen soon.

The education is ranked higher than the US, though Scotland has a high murder rate in the UK, the US still has more than double the crime index Scotland has, Edinburg has high tourism (so jobs there), rent is lower (I know cost of living can be higher), the unemployment beats the US into the dirt (as well as being one of the lowest in the UK), and so far everyone says they are very welcoming! My wife is a mechanic so Edinburg and it's cruise ships seem like a fit (she was a mechanic in the Navy).

So basically is Scotland as great as I'm reading? Would some Americans be as welcomed as it's made out to be? If not Scotland, where in the UK would be a decent place to live? We want to be near a city, but we do enjoy our wide open grassy fields. Any opinions are welcomed and to people about to troll saying "gtfo of the US if you're so unhappy" ..that's what I'm trying to do, so save your breath...

You're probably right in some of your comments, but I would say that given your sweeping generalizations and shallow analyses, you won't find happiness in Scotland either. Your underlying issues will follow you there..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom