Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 12:35 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,709,792 times

Advertisements

I am going to UK for a wedding. I have few relatives there for whom I would like to take gifts. Is there anything in USA that isn't available in UK or would be appreciated especially by young adults or kids. I have a teenage niece and few nephews who are below 10. Some male cousins in their 20s. I don't want to spend too much money but would like to give something useful/interesting from this side of the pond
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 05:39 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,247,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I am going to UK for a wedding. I have few relatives there for whom I would like to take gifts. Is there anything in USA that isn't available in UK or would be appreciated especially by young adults or kids. I have a teenage niece and few nephews who are below 10. Some male cousins in their 20s. I don't want to spend too much money but would like to give something useful/interesting from this side of the pond
A gun?

j/k

Old 09-20-2018, 06:13 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
I have't found much that isn't available over there too. It's all Made in China. You could try going to a craft fair though. For young kids, I bought little toy American cars. A youngish male relative is always asking for T shirts with American bands on them. It's a problem.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:23 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,721,600 times
Most is available but I'm sure American Eagle would be appreciated. It's a nice clothing brand not so much available in the UK. The American cars is a good idea (not hot wheels we have those). If you're looking for something more economical maybe Reese chocolate bag assortment or something to that effect, we have Reese but its the thought that counts. Nice Californian/Oregon wine for the adults maybe? Drinking age here is 18+

Old 09-20-2018, 06:31 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
I'm judging by what my British friends buy when they are here. They arrive with empty suitcases and load up.

For the kids, take a few American candies that aren't marketed in Britain. If you know shoe sizes, fancy colored socks and socks with cartoons on them. From Walmart is perfect.

For the adults, good coffee. Coffee is readily available but it is expensive.

My friends tried to clean out the Nike factory outlet. They bought Nike for just about everyone they knew. Again, readily available in the UK but a huge price difference.

I took them to Costco and they loaded up on ski jackets for the kids

They bought an entire suitcase full of Christmas ornaments.

Dont take anything electronic unless you are sure it is multi-voltage. Their electric system isnt the same as ours. Some electric stuff, you just have to flip a switch to go from one electric system to another. DVD movies from here won't play there, different system.

They don't like our chocolate.

Maple syrup, if you think they will use it.

Just about anything here you can buy there, but there is sometimes a huge price difference.

If you are going to Scotland, it appears that everyone in Scotland likes Patsy Cline music.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:31 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,426,522 times
Big bags of beef jerky from Wal-Mart. Tins of clam chowder soup........hard to find here. I agree on the chocolate. Hershey isn't really to our taste.......it's horrible.......

Old 09-21-2018, 01:28 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,509,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

For the adults, good coffee. Coffee is readily available but it is expensive.
This and your other bizarre claim about all Scottish people liking Patsy Cline shows your advice is well intentioned but misguided.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:15 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Our only good chocolate, as far as I know, is Lindt. Lindt truffles are very nice--round and filled with some yummy liquid. But they don't really need chocolate as they already have good chocolate. I've never found any of them to like maple syrup. They don't usually like peanut butter (neither do I.)

Clothing is more expensive over there so maybe that's an idea. They always used to appreciate blue jeans too, Levis.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:22 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,721,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Our only good chocolate, as far as I know, is Lindt. Lindt truffles are very nice--round and filled with some yummy liquid. But they don't really need chocolate as they already have good chocolate. I've never found any of them to like maple syrup. They don't usually like peanut butter (neither do I.)
I think peanut butter is pretty liked. Just peanut butter & jelly NO.

BTW Lindt is Swiss not from the US.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:24 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,570,310 times
Don't forget to bring stuff back with you. M&S Madagascar Vanilla Bean chocolate bars, Cadbury chocolate, any sweets are good because the chocolate doesn't have tons of chemicals in it. American chocolate is waxy, ultra sugary, chemical tasting junk. American sweets are too sugary. So is our bread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom