Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 08:47 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times

Advertisements

Queen Elizabeth’s hard-luck younger sister.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prin...ess_of_Snowdon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 09:16 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
The show recently on Netflix reminded me.

forgotten she had died though...

Old 05-27-2018, 09:27 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,424,858 times
Margaret was a spoiled brat, who hated ageing. She was forgotten by the British public a long while before she died.

She had her moment in the sun though.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:30 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Margaret had a tumultuous love life. And it must not have been easy being the baby sister of the world’s most famous living woman.

Old 05-27-2018, 02:02 PM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Margaret it seems was a horror to friends and made them all call her maam... they had to toe the line with her all the time.. taking orders and only doing things she liked doing on her home on Mustique... she was ugly to servants and maids too it seems.. and generally not nice... My favorite (probably apocryphal) Princess Margaret stories ...

At a party, she runs into Elizabeth Taylor, who's wearing the Krupp Diamond. She sniffs, "That's the most vulgar thing I've ever seen." La Liz replies, "Wanna try it on?" She does, and while entranced, Liz coos, "See? It's not so vulgar now, is it?"

Judy Garland gets slipped a note from Margaret at another party, "commanding" her to sing. Judy, not the one, tells the messenger, "Tell her I'll sing if she christens a ship first!" https://www.datalounge.com/thread/19...sh-newspaper.-

Old 05-27-2018, 05:02 PM

10,520 posts, read 6,157,413 times
Umm, anybody over 48?

Old 05-27-2018, 07:02 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Remember more "of" Princess Margaret than actually about; she was a few generations ahead so never really paid much notice.

Still she was a damn fine looking woman in her youth. However sadly she suffered it seems from the curse that befalls all "spares" in the Saxe-Coburg Gotha (Windsor) family. Not going to inherit, just what does one do with one's life otherwise.

One shudders to think what Princess Margaret would have thought of the Markel woman marrying into the RF. Though if she had lived until now one supposed age may have mellowed her a bit.

https://www.popsugar.com/celebrity/H...t-Die-44445959

One always had a soft spot for PM because she lived her life as she felt it befit a royal princess. The princess travelled with a train of luggage (and presumably fleet of servants to manage) as if was the early 1900's.

Recall one story of how just after giving birth to one of her children, Princess Margaret leaving the infant in care of nurses/servants flew off on holiday. First class of course and having purchased every seat in that class to ensure no one else was there but herself and travelling companions.

Upon meeting the newly married Princess Grace of Monaco, PM was asked to give her opinion; she sniffed "not one of us....".

Old 05-27-2018, 08:46 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Remember more "of" Princess Margaret than actually about; she was a few generations ahead so never really paid much notice.

Still she was a damn fine looking woman in her youth. However sadly she suffered it seems from the curse that befalls all "spares" in the Saxe-Coburg Gotha (Windsor) family. Not going to inherit, just what does one do with one's life otherwise.

One shudders to think what Princess Margaret would have thought of the Markel woman marrying into the RF. Though if she had lived until now one supposed age may have mellowed her a bit.

https://www.popsugar.com/celebrity/H...t-Die-44445959

One always had a soft spot for PM because she lived her life as she felt it befit a royal princess. The princess travelled with a train of luggage (and presumably fleet of servants to manage) as if was the early 1900's.

Recall one story of how just after giving birth to one of her children, Princess Margaret leaving the infant in care of nurses/servants flew off on holiday. First class of course and having purchased every seat in that class to ensure no one else was there but herself and travelling companions.

Upon meeting the newly married Princess Grace of Monaco, PM was asked to give her opinion; she sniffed "not one of us....".
Well, she was right about Princess Grace. Princess Grace took her royal offspring to visit her family, the Kellys, in Philadelphia, regularly. Their presence was never announced to the public until after they left.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:34 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Maybe I wasn't fair to her, but I never liked her. Maybe it was just because she was the younger sister who would never be queen--maybe that's what made her so nasty.

She smoked a lot and was drunk a lot. One story had her keeping her guests up most of the night because they couldn't leave until she went to bed. Which was somewhere around 4am.

She seemed to be mean and inconsiderate to everyone. Selfish, spoilt party girl.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:43 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
I think her life would have been so different if she had been given permission to marry Peter Townsend. Of course there is no guarantee that theirs would have been a happy marriage, but maybe it would have been. And of course it's ironic that permission was denied to marry a divorced man, only to have Princess Margaret and then three of the Queen's four children end up getting divorces, including Charles who will end up being King (most likely, of course). From today's perspective, it seems so silly to deny permission to marry someone just because they were divorced. It's clearly a non-issue now given how warmly the royal family welcomed Meghan Markle.

Maybe Margaret would have ended up living a happily married, quiet life, and never become a jet-setting socialite, which I think would have changed the history of the entire royal family.

(I can't say I really "remember" much of this, as I even alive for a lot of it, but I've always found her story sad and captivating)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom