Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 01:38 PM

17,639 posts, read 17,750,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I have never understood the interest in American football. It's as you say, a lot of standing around, and not much actual play. I have tried watching it when a game is on the telly, which is very rare. It is just so boring.

At least with football, we get one and a half hours of football without ads. I think that's why telly sports channels in America don't want our game to catch on in America. They wouldn't be able to stop the game for ads, like they do American football.
Blame television for that. Before the sport became a super money maker there wasn’t nearly as many commercial breaks. After it became popular and television networks dictated the play of the game that’s when it dragged on with more commercials. Watching school games is different. No commercial breaks slowing down the game. Game moves much faster. Sometimes it might be over in about an hour and a half.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 04:36 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,753,730 times
GEICO commercials are the funniest in the United States. They seem to get a new one every 3-4 weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH9yvMGeHfo

Old 07-11-2018, 04:39 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,351,562 times
The Office Linebacker commercials will always be some of my favorites.

Last edited by hunterseat; 07-11-2018 at 05:20 PM..

Old 07-13-2018, 08:24 AM

32,963 posts, read 36,449,858 times
Quote:
I think a lot of it is what you grow up with. With me it was football, and you Kathryn, American football.

I have read before Americans describing our football as boring. I believe it is mainly a children's sport in the US. Strange how it is massive everywhere else in the world, except America.
It is what you grow up with. My mother was a baseball fan in the 1940s and '50s. Brooklyn Dodgers. She fancied boxing for a while, too. My nephew made me watch golf and tennis. I didn't have to, but I was being polite. At least the tennis players moved around.

I have no idea why, but I'm fascinated with curling.

I grew up with people who watched American football. Sometimes our meals were scheduled around games.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:30 AM

32,963 posts, read 36,449,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
GEICO commercials are the funniest in the United States. They seem to get a new one every 3-4 weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH9yvMGeHfo
I went there one year.

https://www.washingtoncrossingpark.o...g-reenactment/

Old 07-14-2018, 06:32 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,054,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh, I have the answer for that - Americans are right and everyone else is wrong.

I'm just kidding of course, but I do agree that it has a lot to do with what you grow up with. I grew up with touch football games in the neighborhood, high school football, college football, and in the background that entire time, my dad and I were watching professional football too. Then I moved to Texas and found out that I wasn't nearly as crazy as some folks are about football (of course I'm talking about American football) - there are many people even crazier than I am about it.

Then I signed my kids up for soccer and nearly died of boredom - as did they. I threw in the towel when I saw my daughter standing out in the field making daisy chains - she was totally not into it. I thought "Why am I letting these games rule my family's life?"

Now I watch some college and pro games during football season and of course I wear a jersey a lot during those months, and we meet up with friends to watch our favorite teams and then of course we pig out during the Superbowl but ... well, I guess we all still are pretty crazy about it now that I think of it. I've even made it a point to go to New Orleans, not for a home game, but just to watch a play off game in a bar in New Orleans with a bunch of other Saints fans. So yeah... come to think of it, it's a pretty big deal.
That doesn't make any sense??? I doubt it was football she was playing and if it was then she must have had THE worst coach in the world!

Old 07-17-2018, 03:01 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,284,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
That doesn't make any sense??? I doubt it was football she was playing and if it was then she must have had THE worst coach in the world!
Dunno, at school I found soccer pretty boring too, or would have if not standing outside in the snow wearing shorts and t-shirt. It wasn't until I hit puberty that I developed enough physical coordination to be put in a position with even a marginal chance of getting the ball (school "regs" had the uncoordinated placed at left and right back, or center- forward (because the ball always came down the center with a midfield run, and you could have had Stephen Hawking as CF and had as much benefit, and coming down the middle meant full backs were outside of play too).

Old 07-17-2018, 06:13 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,054,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Dunno, at school I found soccer pretty boring too, or would have if not standing outside in the snow wearing shorts and t-shirt. It wasn't until I hit puberty that I developed enough physical coordination to be put in a position with even a marginal chance of getting the ball (school "regs" had the uncoordinated placed at left and right back, or center- forward (because the ball always came down the center with a midfield run, and you could have had Stephen Hawking as CF and had as much benefit, and coming down the middle meant full backs were outside of play too).
This doesn't make any sense? I don't know how you play 'over there' but the only player on a football pitch that shouldn't be moving constantly over 90 minutes is the goal keeper.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:02 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,441,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
You ever see the movie 'Kes'? That was me........in goal....... 50 years ago, I was the spit of young Caspar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu-5LCr1kwg

Old 07-17-2018, 07:55 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,284,602 times
Quote:
You ever see the movie 'Kes'? That was me........in goal....... 50 years ago, I was the spit of young Caspar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu-5LCr1kwg
Exactly Dave.

Dunno what Easthome is on about. I'm talking 1980's Newcastle, PE football.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom