Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 02:34 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,933,405 times

Advertisements

In the near future I would like to visit some old industrial cities with preferably lots of grit, old (abandoned) factories and warehouses, old railroad tracks and rusty bridges. Some cities like Leeds, Manchester, or Sheffield come to mind. Would these be the best cities to visit for my purpose? Are the industrial areas in these cities safe to visit and take pictures?

As an example of what I would like to see, here is a link to picture of an old factory in Oldman in the Manchester area.

Eventually, I would like to see the real deal: US cities like Detroit, Flint, Baltimore, Gary, Cleveland, Toledo, Youngstown, and Holyoke but going there is a bridge too far for me at the moment. Especially because these cities are not necessarily safe to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 02:39 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,603,907 times
not my area of the country, cant help you, sorry.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:20 AM

985 posts, read 1,854,357 times
Do you meen Oldham (OldMan)?

I visited Leeds in June. You can certainly see and feel a lot of previous industrialisation there. Almost a time warp in some places.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:16 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,933,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
Do you meen Oldham (OldMan)?

I visited Leeds in June. You can certainly see and feel a lot of previous industrialisation there. Almost a time warp in some places.
Yes, Oldham. I made a type or the spellchecker messed up. Too late to edit my post now ...

Leeds is on my shortlist too. Are the old industrial structures everywhere, or more specifically in the safe parts of town, or only in the less desirable neighborhoods like in the US?

Old 12-02-2018, 04:28 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
I can only speak for Manchester/Salford. You can still see the remnants of factories/warehouses, but they are generally dotted throughout the city, not concentrated in one area, and most of them have been converted into apartments, offices, or other venues. Castlefield in Manchester has several old warehouses converted into other uses and is a very nice area: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle...of_Castlefield

The Salford Docks (now the Salford Quays) were an important part of the industrial era, but they've mostly been rebuilt now - the home of the BBC.

List of warehouses in Manchester: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._in_Manchester
List of mills: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._in_Manchester

Old 12-02-2018, 04:42 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
You might like the Bradford Industrial Museum. They have the old machines and you get a guided tour. You can see everything you mentioned in Bradford. But lock your car and be careful.

Old 12-02-2018, 05:03 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Queen St Mill near Burnley is supposedly open to the public three days a week. It's a working cotton mill.

Of US cities, you mention Holyoke. I don't know if the mills are still there as there were many fires and now parts of the city are being converted to artists' studios.

I think in Leeds and Manchester most of the mills have been to living accomodations.

If you really want gritty, go to Lawrence MA, USA.Three to four canals for water power, and most of the mills are still standing. People there speak Spanish now and it's fairly safe during the daylight hours. It is a historic site.

You would need to google these. I am on my phone, can't get the links. But I would highly recommend the Bradford Industrial Museum and the city itself for what you are interested in.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:36 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Queen St Mill near Burnley is supposedly open to the public three days a week. It's a working cotton mill.

Of US cities, you mention Holyoke. I don't know if the mills are still there as there were many fires and now parts of the city are being converted to artists' studios.

I think in Leeds and Manchester most of the mills have been to living accomodations.

If you really want gritty, go to Lawrence MA, USA.Three to four canals for water power, and most of the mills are still standing. People there speak Spanish now and it's fairly safe during the daylight hours. It is a historic site.

You would need to google these. I am on my phone, can't get the links. But I would highly recommend the Bradford Industrial Museum and the city itself for what you are interested in.
Weren't most of your mills woolen mills?

A lot of cotton mills are still standing in Philadelphia, but some have been converted to other uses. A lot of mills are still standing in Gastonia, NC & nearby cities. The largest one in Gastonia has been converted into lofts. I'm also using my phone.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:25 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
I was born and bred in Oldham. There used to be cotton mills everywhere. Most have been demolished, or are in different use. Some have been converted to apartments. I don't think you'll find any derelict ones to admire.......

Old 12-03-2018, 02:46 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,185 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Most of the major cities in the North have seen lots of investment and gentrification, and are not exactly the rust belt of the 1980's.

Many have very good transport systems, and often very wealthy enclaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom