Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 08:22 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
DIdn't the scotch irish come from scotland?
Not necessarily.

First off, Scotch-Irish is a US term. It referred to immigrants from Ulster Province. It referred to the immigration to Ulster from northern England and the lowlands of Scotland, however Highlanders and a limited number of Irish snuck into the plantation settlements. When they got to the colonies on the east coast at first they were called Irish. When they objected to that they were called Scotch-Irish and were called that till close to the end of the 20th century.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:03 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
DIdn't the scotch irish come from scotland?
Do you realize just how many Irish came to Glasgow many years ago looking for work that was needed desperately.. you dont bite the hand that feeds you....you said that about the Irish Scots as if it was a reason and they can do what they like to us....this is the IRA at their best picking on the innocent..to carry out their dirty trade.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:09 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
raise the dragon on these maoist hooligans

Old 03-17-2019, 04:03 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,417 times
The Scots-Irish did a better outstanding thing going over to Ireland than the rather low natural population. I would in furtherance say this regarding the moving to America. They overall had a better record over there than the traditional unfortunate Irish.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:25 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,165,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
The Scots-Irish did a better outstanding thing going over to Ireland than the rather low natural population. I would in furtherance say this regarding the moving to America. They overall had a better record over there than the traditional unfortunate Irish.

The Scots-Irish label can give a false belief ie that the people were an Irish mother and a Scots father or vice-versa. Most of those who went to America in the 1700s came from Ulster and so Ulster-Scots is more appropriate. There was a General Shiels a Catholic and he too was from Ulster. It's said that he was the only one to defeat 'Stonewall' Jackson.

I think it was the Confederate General Adams who had an Ulster father from Strabane and a Scottish mother who came from Dumfries

Old 03-18-2019, 12:57 PM

Default Ulster Band in Savannah

As we prepare for trip home we leave this beautiful city of Savannah with cherished memories. Yesterday the band paraded through the streets of Savannah lined with a million Americans spectators. While playing a selection of traditional music, military marches and American civil war melodies the band received raptures applause throughout the 4 mile routes. This was a wonderful opportunity to show case our Ulster Scots Music and culture on a world stage.
Attached Thumbnails
Device left at Glasgow Uni claimed by the IRA-omagh-band-savannah-usa-march-2019.jpg  

Old 03-18-2019, 06:24 PM

I smile Ulsterman as the Confederates batle flag with the 13 stars was in the shape of the St Andrew's flag!

Old 03-19-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
I smile Ulsterman as the Confederates batle flag with the 13 stars was in the shape of the St Andrew's flag!

Yes, didn't they base the Confederate Flag on the St Andrew's flag. I know the Confederates had a couple of other flags but not the same design as the St Andrew's one.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:30 PM

In routine matters when one mentions the Confederate flag to folk they usually know about the St Andrew's shaped one with the 13 stars on the cross bars. In the actual state of things it was more of a routine CSA military flag rather than the national State flag of the Confederacy. Just sad they lost the war. Although there is much about over the pond that does not impress me at least they had the Billyboys in remote hills and named after King William!

Old 03-19-2019, 07:15 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
Quote:
In routine matters when one mentions the Confederate flag to folk they usually know about the St Andrew's shaped one with the 13 stars on the cross bars. In the actual state of things it was more of a routine CSA military flag rather than the national State flag of the Confederacy. Just sad they lost the war. Although there is much about over the pond that does not impress me at least they had the Billyboys in remote hills and named after King William!

I'm not sad they lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom