Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 02:25 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
But the Brexit was largely based on lies or mis truths if you prefer, with the wonderful wide world open to Britain to kick off deals galore. The reality may well prove not as fruitful as the public was led to believe.
Hence careful scrutiny of each and every agreement should be the order of the day.
In your opinion.

No one really knows why people voted to leave or remain, because the only opinions you've seen are opinions that support a particular agenda. Similarly you don't know what people actually think the reality will be, because the only opinions you get to see are opinions that support a particular agenda.

Old 05-15-2020, 05:32 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
But the Brexit was largely based on lies or mis truths if you prefer, with the wonderful wide world open to Britain to kick off deals galore. The reality may well prove not as fruitful as the public was led to believe.
Hence careful scrutiny of each and every agreement should be the order of the day.
Still think you're right and the majority were wrong I see!

Old 05-15-2020, 09:29 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
Why shouldn't the UK, the US, Canada and Australia and New Zealand come back together?
It doesn’t really make sense to me as a Canadian. Canada already has free trade deals with the US (NAFTA 2.1), Australia (CP-TPP) and New Zealand (CP-TPP) and Australia also already has a free trade deal with the US. Adding a separate US-Aus-NZ-UK deal just overly complicates the situation. A customized bilateral deal between Canada and the UK makes more sense.

Australia/New Zealand aren’t natural trading partners for Canada, partly because of distance and partly because we don’t naturally compliment each other as far as trade goes. My impression is we generally tend to export the same kind of products and import the same kind of products. So I just don’t understand the economic benefit of being in a second free trade deal with them. There’s not much more we can offer each other either as we already have free trade. I’d also be interested to know how Canada would benefit from a second trade deal with the US. If anything, Canada would be the loser. We’re a small country in comparison. We don’t have leverage.

Edited to add: It really seems to me as if the OP is looking for a replacement for the EU minus the political aspect. It never happened with NAFTA and wouldn’t with this proposed multi-country deal either.

Last edited by cdnirene; 05-15-2020 at 09:55 AM..

Old 05-18-2020, 05:00 PM

654 posts, read 364,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Edited to add: It really seems to me as if the OP is looking for a replacement for the EU minus the political aspect. It never happened with NAFTA and wouldn’t with this proposed multi-country deal either.
I usually prefer power delegated to the most local jurisdiction possible (i.e., power is held by states and provinces, not national governments), so I'm thinking Australia, New Zealand, Canada, the US and the UK all keeping the powers that they have, but with complete free trade and mostly free movement of people between all of them.

Since all of those countries except the US have Queen Elizabeth, that wouldn't need to change although perhaps we could use Her Majesty as a way to get rid of Donald Trump.

Otherwise, I don't see a need to give any new powers to some supra-governmental body except to the extent that the new supra-governmental body would (1) break down barriers between these countries and (2) try to encourage each country to pursue "best-practices" public policy based on what others are doing. For example, the US could sure learn from New Zealand's coronavirus policies. Having tax policy set in London sure didn't work for the US in 1776 and I don't think that would work again, so centralized government just wouldn't work.

Old 05-18-2020, 06:03 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,956,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Still think you're right and the majority were wrong I see!
It is not a question about the majority being wrong, although as you mention it, you are correct in your assessment. Snake oil salespeople with own agendas as of so many pollies involved, where self interest rules over good policy are seldom persons to receive council with regards to good policy from.

Old 05-18-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVLNATIVE View Post
I usually prefer power delegated to the most local jurisdiction possible (i.e., power is held by states and provinces, not national governments), so I'm thinking Australia, New Zealand, Canada, the US and the UK all keeping the powers that they have, but with complete free trade and mostly free movement of people between all of them.

Since all of those countries except the US have Queen Elizabeth, that wouldn't need to change although perhaps we could use Her Majesty as a way to get rid of Donald Trump.

Otherwise, I don't see a need to give any new powers to some supra-governmental body except to the extent that the new supra-governmental body would (1) break down barriers between these countries and (2) try to encourage each country to pursue "best-practices" public policy based on what others are doing. For example, the US could sure learn from New Zealand's coronavirus policies. Having tax policy set in London sure didn't work for the US in 1776 and I don't think that would work again, so centralized government just wouldn't work.
Free movement in order to permanently reside will never likely be an option between the countries mentioned. Nor will free trade. I have explained vested interests will ensure 'local home ' advantages for its own farmers and growers through powerful lobby groups that can and do influence the politics on the ground.

The Americans could certainly learn better management of the cornea virus but from New Zealand? Really there is nothing similar in the geo make up of either country.

Old 05-18-2020, 06:12 PM

654 posts, read 364,256 times
Quote:
Free movement in order to permanently reside will never likely be an option between the countries mentioned. Nor will free trade. I have explained vested interests will ensure 'local home ' advantages for its own farmers and growers through powerful lobby groups that can and do influence the politics on the ground.

The Americans could certainly learn better management of the cornea virus but from New Zealand? Really there is nothing similar in the geo make up of either country.
Didn’t New Zealand eliminate Covid-19? Yes, it’s a very different country but remember, the US has nowhere to go but up.

Once we get a normal executive branch, free trade will hopefully be viable again, and even the current president is open for free trade with the UK.

Old 05-18-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
It doesn’t really make sense to me as a Canadian. Canada already has free trade deals with the US (NAFTA 2.1), Australia (CP-TPP) and New Zealand (CP-TPP) and Australia also already has a free trade deal with the US. Adding a separate US-Aus-NZ-UK deal just overly complicates the situation. A customized bilateral deal between Canada and the UK makes more sense.

Australia/New Zealand aren’t natural trading partners for Canada, partly because of distance and partly because we don’t naturally compliment each other as far as trade goes. My impression is we generally tend to export the same kind of products and import the same kind of products. So I just don’t understand the economic benefit of being in a second free trade deal with them. There’s not much more we can offer each other either as we already have free trade. I’d also be interested to know how Canada would benefit from a second trade deal with the US. If anything, Canada would be the loser. We’re a small country in comparison. We don’t have leverage.

That's been my argument. We are too alike for any meaningful trade agreements to work. Britain has the by far greatest majority of its business in trade with EU. That is unlikely to change. Canada with US and Australia with China.
Obviously in time less reliance on certain markets can occur, but a somewhat drawn out process. The call for a Union of some sort of the Anglo Saxon world is more a kinship thing than serious reality or having any real basis on economic ground.

Old 05-18-2020, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Didn’t New Zealand eliminate Covid-19? Yes, it’s a very different country but remember, the US has nowhere to go but up.

Once we get a normal executive branch, free trade will hopefully be viable again, and even the current president is open for free trade with the UK.
New Zealand is remote. It has five million people. It is a small economy. It went in hard one of the hardest anywhere in lock down, not likely possible in a country the size of The United States to achieve.
Besides, it would be not supported from the Right side of politics and less than adequate support from government in support of those left jobless, would antagonise the situation from all sides.

Old 05-18-2020, 06:28 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
Free movement of people has nothing to do with trade so I think a trade agreement is the wrong vehicle for that. A “free movement agreement” could I suppose be reached separately, but I would certainly be opposed. The U.S. is the only country without government health care and private health insurance is expensive there. If Americans became sick, say with cancer, or required an operation they could not afford, they would have the option of taking up residence in one of the other countries for free health care. Are you prepared for a deluge of sick Americans seeking health care financed by your tax dollars? I’m not. Our health care dollars are already stretched too thin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom