Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 02:14 PM

521 posts, read 1,473,288 times

Advertisements

Well, back to his wii console. AugustSpies has pointed you in the direction of a voltage converter so that is the first step. The t.v. it is used on could still be an issue. Most modern UK t.v.'s (at least the expensive kind) have dual PAL & NTSC format so, with correct power conversion, it could work. But you would need to be sure that the UK t.v. is NTSC compatible (and the wii is region locked so his US wii would not play UK bought games).

Oh, and I assume that the cereals thing was a joke but you can get Lucky Charms in the UK although why you would want to is beyond me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 03:07 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
I'm going to pass this thread on to him because he's the gamer, but I appreciate all this advice.

A tv license for $280?! That's about the same price as the wii! His first love are PC games, maybe that will suffice for a season.

Kat, what is the level of studying at UEA to get decent grades? On weekends? Up late most nights? What kind of things do you and your friends do for fun?

Oh, and where are you coming here in the States? It would be funny if you were the reciprocal student for my son's school!

Old 05-21-2008, 11:59 AM

16 posts, read 57,043 times
Well it really depends on what subject you do. I'm a law student so we have a lot of work (mainly around exam time as we dont have many coursework modules) whereas history do essays all year around. Medics are never seen they have so much work! To contrast that media studies students though do practically nothing! Personally I work most of the day and some of the evening and then take one day off at the weekend. But others do nothing in the day and work at night, depends what you prefer.

Me and my friends, go to the LCR (the student's union club) a lot, go to the cinema in the city, shopping, to the bar on campus, house parties...

I'm going to South Texas College of Law in Houston for the year. Can't wait!

Old 05-29-2008, 02:19 PM

Okay, I booked his flight yesterday! I booked it to London because I could get a non-stop flight and a lower price, but now we have to figure out transportation from Heathrow. It looks like there is a direct bus right to UEA. Do you know if that's right Kat?

We're still waiting for the paperwork to get his accomdation choices in. Son thinks that the Norfolk and Suffolk terrace rooms look the most convienent. We could pay the difference to get one of the places in University Village but it looks like that's a bus ride away from campus. Any opinions?

Old 05-30-2008, 09:08 AM

Yeah you can get the National Express straight from London to UEA campus. Probably a better idea than messing around with trains. Although I think your son may be able to get collected from the airport and then driven to UEA, but I'm not 100% sure, email Admissions maybe to check?

Norfolk and Suffolk Terrace are on campus, so v handy. University Village is only a 10-15 min walk from the centre of campus (depending on how fast you walk) or a 2 min cycle. Quite a few of my friends lived there and loved it, really depends on whether you want the extra 10 min walk for a 9 o'clock lecture and live in nicer halls, or have to share a bathroom but stumble out of bed 5 mins before a lecture! Actually though if you live in Norfolk Terrace in the furthest away section, it can take a good 5 mins to walk it. Decide what your priorities are.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:10 AM

Son is definately the stumble out of bed kind of guy. He finally got his official paperwork and student # but the on-line accomodation form is always down.

I've got him a bit concerned about the laundry situation at UEA. Is it true that dryers are not commonly used - that everyone hangs their laundry up in their rooms?? Son is used to waiting until he has absolutely no clothes left and then washes and dries everything in one shot. And all he wears is jeans, t-shirts, sweatshirts, i.e. things that take a long time to dry...

Old 06-19-2008, 04:55 AM

Doing laundry is possibly the worst part of uni. Everyone dreads it! In my first year a group of us would head down to the laundrette whenever we had no clothes left and it wasn't raining. By the end of the year I had at least doubled the amount of clothes I had as instead of washing I just bought new ones! Usually we'd go sit in the bar whilst the clothes were washing, making sure we got back on time or otherwise our "clean" clothes would end up in a pile on the dirty floor! Then we'd put them in the dryer for the minimum 15 mins just to take most of the wetness off, so they wouldn't be too heavy to carry home and we wouldn't shrink them too much! Then when we got back we'd all hang it all up on airers in our room, put the heating on full and usually they'd be dry by the next morning. I guess if you really need something then you can put it in the dryer for longer, it depends on how long you're prepared to sit around waiting for them when theres most probably something much more exciting happening back home.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:44 PM

Kat, Don't know if you are still hanging out here, but my son just got his accomodation offer at UEA and he got Suffolk. Looks like a great location. His classes are fairly screwed up but hopes that will straighten itself out once he gets there. He's been approved for 7 classes from his home College but UEA put him in for three classes and only one is on the list. Next up the interesting biometric scan for the visa.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 08-15-2008 at 09:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom