Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 10:01 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
and it's the most common language because?
Because of history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 10:23 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarokid View Post
I hate how americans criticise us Brits for not "speaking proper english!" WTF! I've got news for you, yanks, but they don't call it 'english' for nothing. Damn colonists.
I've experienced the opposite, with Brits telling me I spell/pronounce words incorrectly.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:28 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,472 times
Because the British colonised large chunks of the world & introduced their language to the natives.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:37 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
Because the British colonised large chunks of the world & introduced their language to the natives.

Yes absolutely, and it's still the most commonly spoken language because it makes commercial sense to speak the same language as the US (not the UK). I'm sure at some point in the future msnderin will become the most commonly spoken (already the most commonly spoken first language)

Old 04-08-2010, 11:12 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Because of history.
But doesn't mean there weren't other major contributoring cultures to the countries history. There are still cultures in the US which speak a form of German, for example.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:16 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
But doesn't mean there weren't other major contributoring cultures to the countries history. There are still cultures in the US which speak a form of German, for example.
Of course, but America was formed mainly by the British. The 13 colonies were not under German rule, they were under British rule. When people joke about America's mother country they are talking about Britain.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Yeah absolutely but the vast majority was English speaking people from Ireland, Scotland and England. French is still spoken in parts of the US for example the LA cajun culture too.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:20 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
Of course, but America was formed mainly by the British. The 13 colonies were not under German rule, they were under British rule. When people joke about America's mother country they are talking about Britain.
"Mainly" is the key word, and I was merely pointing out it was a word Scotlass seemed to neglect.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
"Mainly" is the key word, and I was merely pointing out it was a word Scotlass seemed to neglect.
Where does It say that I disagree?

I am well aware that other nations contributed to founding the US but it was mainly the British (colonization) thus the vast majority of the colonists were English speaking.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:47 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Where does It say that I disagree?

I am well aware that other nations contributed to founding the US but it was mainly the British (colonization) thus the vast majority of the colonists were English speaking.

Yes but the founding of the "United states" was not a British policy. Your over estimating British influence on the US you see and experience today. I'm quite happy to state that British influence on the current US is borderline irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom