Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2022, 04:41 AM

27,242 posts, read 13,527,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Austen View Post
Clarify "May not like the idea so much if you live in Edinburgh".
easthome clearly means those who live in a city, may not want to holiday in that city.

Most people prefer to go somewhere different for their holidays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2022, 07:18 AM

12,957 posts, read 13,371,662 times
How about Greenland?

Old 07-19-2022, 10:18 AM

2,361 posts, read 861,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
easthome clearly means those who live in a city, may not want to holiday in that city.

Most people prefer to go somewhere different for their holidays.

I know but I also mentioned two other cities worthy of a visit. The cities of Bath and York. He didn't say the same about them so Maybe because those two cities are in England ?

Old 07-19-2022, 01:10 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,671,605 times
Quote:
I know but I also mentioned two other cities worthy of a visit. The cities of Bath and York. He didn't say the same about them so Maybe because those two cities are in England ?

He used the words For example - so he used one city of three to make a point about not holidaying in one's home city. Nothing about England vs Scotland.

You are reading too much into his post.

Old 07-19-2022, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
He used the words For example - so he used one city of three to make a point about not holidaying in one's home city. Nothing about England vs Scotland.

You are reading too much into his post.

Yeah well whatever. Another trip to Edinburgh is on my bucket list anyway.

Old 07-19-2022, 03:17 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,671,605 times
Quote:
Yeah well whatever. Another trip to Edinburgh is on my bucket list anyway.

I used to do short term visits there decades ago. One of my favorite cities in UK, if not the world. If I return to UK for a visit, a trip to Edinburgh is on my list.

Glasgow was crummy then ( mid 80's) when I did my short term visits but I heard it is now a pretty, go-to city.

Old 07-19-2022, 03:54 PM

14,822 posts, read 12,051,692 times
Quote:
Clarify "May not like the idea so much if you live in Edinburgh".
If you actually read through what I said I think its pretty obvious no?

The question asked is "where to go for a weekend away"

Here is my post again:-

Depends if you want, cities, beaches or nature and on where your starting off point is I guess. For example somebody suggested Edinburgh but you may not like the idea so much if you live in Edinburgh! :-)

Do you see?

Old 07-19-2022, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
If you actually read through what I said I think its pretty obvious no?

The question asked is "where to go for a weekend away"

Here is my post again:-

Depends if you want, cities, beaches or nature and on where your starting off point is I guess. For example somebody suggested Edinburgh but you may not like the idea so much if you live in Edinburgh! :-)

Do you see?
Well yeah but If I were to move to Edinburgh on a job transfer I could well spend a week or two exploring and getting to know the city and it's people when I got some time off. It's that kind of city.

On the other hand if were to end up in Grimsby on a job transfer I would hire a boat and head out to Norway instead for a week or two

Old 07-19-2022, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
I used to do short term visits there decades ago. One of my favorite cities in UK, if not the world. If I return to UK for a visit, a trip to Edinburgh is on my list.

Glasgow was crummy then ( mid 80's) when I did my short term visits but I heard it is now a pretty, go-to city.
If you havent yet been give York a try. You can take a walk around the old city walls and take a tour through a replica of a Viking village. It's a city with a lot of history and charm.

Old 07-20-2022, 03:01 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,051,692 times
Quote:
Well yeah but If I were to move to Edinburgh on a job transfer I could well spend a week or two exploring and getting to know the city and it's people when I got some time off. It's that kind of city.

On the other hand if were to end up in Grimsby on a job transfer I would hire a boat and head out to Norway instead for a week or two
If you were to 'move' to Edinburgh then perhaps you would spend a week or two exploring and getting to know the city, however if you actually lived in Edinburgh then perhaps a 'weekend away' in Edinburgh would not be your preferred choice, and yes if it makes you feel any better then if you lived in York then I doubt you'd want to splash out for a weekend away..............in York either! That is the point I made, I do NOT in any shape or form suggest there is anything wrong with Edinburgh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom