Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 06:43 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,310,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I agree raggy dee ann. The genteel southern accent is one of my favorite stateside. Tell me, Do any British people speak the received prononciation (the Queen's english) anymore?
Oh lots of them, but you know I think they are a dying breed...maybe someone can correct me. I thinks it's becoming more fashionable to tone down your accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 07:04 PM

605 posts, read 2,381,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
Oh lots of them, but you know I think they are a dying breed...maybe someone can correct me. I think it's becoming more fashionable to tone down your accent.
Like cheeky little mockney Jamie Oliver?!

Old 07-07-2008, 07:45 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
From across the water it just seems that estuary english has replaced the queen's as the stereotypical "english accent". So I'm surprised that there are still a lot of them. In all my dealings with people from southeast england, they all spoke estuary english. In fact, the only person I've ever heard actually speaking the queen's english is the queen herself. As for me, I like West country and Yorkshire accents. They sound really folksy to me. I've heard that some british people will actually alter their accents depending on the social situation, is that true?

Speaking of southern accents, my aunt, who is from Oklahoma, (a southern-ish state) has a texas accent. When she moved north she tried to cover up her accent, and couldn't do it! So she gave up

Old 07-07-2008, 08:29 PM

656 posts, read 2,315,946 times
I am reminded of a poem about an English soldier writing to his beloved (I believe it was circa the Great War). It expressed his love for her, but made it very clear to the reader that even if he died, England would still win a bit of foreign soil. The overall tone was that of great duty and nationalism with little in the way of fanfare or pomp. It has been over a decade, and I can't remember the title or poet's name, but that's what I took away from it. Of course, I could've missed the mark completely, too.

It would seem to me that English sentiment has not changed all that much over the past century, or am I mistaken? Pride with a quiet sense of duty.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:57 PM

493 posts, read 1,762,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrob View Post

When Jamie Oliver was on the Today program a few months ago, he spoke with more of an 'English' accent than he does on UK TV which really made me think he just does that in England to be 'one of the blokes'.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:02 PM

493 posts, read 1,762,739 times
Quote:
Yes, lots. Normally those who would be perceived to be "upper class" by the majority. This manner of speaking can cause quite polarized reactions by Brits.
Yup! A very good friend of mine who speaks "RP" was shopping with me once and as soon as she started talking, the shop assistant serving us looked at my friend as if she must be stuck-up and have tonnes of money. My friend has had a rather priviledged upbringing but is one of the nicest and most down to earth people I know, more so than the wannabe middle classes.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:21 AM

Quote:
I always thought his accent was genuine until recently. I know he's from Essex so I just presumed.....

Old 07-08-2008, 04:51 AM

605 posts, read 2,381,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
I always thought his accent was genuine until recently. I know he's from Essex so I just presumed.....
Nah - it's his unique selling point. I reckon that behind closed doors he talks more like Jools!

Old 07-08-2008, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Nah - it's his unique selling point. I reckon that behind closed doors he talks more like Jools!
Hey, I got nothing against that. I'm the same way and it's served me well all these years....selling snow to eskimos comes to mind or so my mum tells me

Old 07-08-2008, 06:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,411 times
Default LastMinute

Renting rooms, apartments, for visitors of the Exit fest

You will have everithing you need, whole house for you and your friends! http://www.exitfest.org/components/c...icons/cool.png

Last minute deal = 10 people for 500 pounds or 10 euro pp per day

House is placed near Novi Sad, aproximatly 10 km from Exit Fest, in a quite enviroment. Good bus and taxi conections with city. There are 4 bedrooms with 2-3 beds, bathroom, kitchen, toilet, tv, internet, green garden for relax http://www.exitfest.org/components/c...icons/w00t.png

If you are interested, please contact me on:

[EMAIL="nesha@nadlanu.com"]nesha@nadlanu.com[/EMAIL]

Hope to hear from you soon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom