Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 11:32 AM

318 posts, read 935,188 times

Advertisements

Londons hight limit sucks the skyline is dismal as well as all the other major UK cities the UK is a small island it would make more sense to build up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 12:14 PM

521 posts, read 1,474,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower 9 View Post
Being an Irish person who lived and taught in Scotland I hope she goes the way of the Irish .Scotland for the size of her has produced more scientists and has had a better education and law system than Engand ,but when they asked to have their own television broadcasting system to make programmes about Scotland the B.B.C.
turned her down flat .It is fading but there is a sense of community and a pride in a shared culture which is lacking in England ,whose public school system is very poor and taught no history except of royalty etc.The English people are among the worst educated culturally .In France where I live now the standard is much higher over all.

At the olympics it was mainly a Scottish pipe band that was playing.So distinctive world wide ,but they cannot rule themselves.Who are we kidding ?England has had her day ,now Scotland must have hers.
You're cracking me up; I need a laugh and you surely provided one.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2theUS View Post
Londons hight limit sucks the skyline is dismal as well as all the other major UK cities the UK is a small island it would make more sense to build up.
Might I suggest that you avoid Washington D.C. then

Old 08-12-2008, 12:20 PM

44 posts, read 103,209 times
Quote:
London Bridge Tower will be impressive when it's built, at over 1000 feet, as will the pinnacle.

Given that London only started building skyscrapers relatively recently when compared to some other cities such as NY, and that Londons main clusters are concentrated in the business districts of Canary Wharf and the City, the new buildings will have an impressive impact.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
That`s what the 6 have got surely?? If the minority had it`s way it would be joining Eire??
Don`t get me wrong here. I`m for the unification, but after all these years it would have to be on a majority. And while on the subect,,,

BBC - History - Invasions of Ireland from 1170 - 1320
That's just no good Lincs, it doesn't support the myth and legend that has grown up about these issues and that are now accepted as fact. The nasty English attacked a poor, helpless, innocent Scotland (and Ireland) without any provocation, grinding her under the jackboot of imperial domination.

The fact that here in Bradford our first church was burnt down by marauding Scots has been expunged from history because, as we all know, it only happened the other way round.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie Bar View Post
Might I suggest that you avoid Washington D.C. then
Why would I do that

Old 08-12-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatter View Post
London Bridge Tower will be impressive when it's built, at over 1000 feet, as will the pinnacle.

Given that London only started building skyscrapers relatively recently when compared to some other cities such as NY, and that Londons main clusters are concentrated in the business districts of Canary Wharf and the City, the new buildings will have an impressive impact.
Yeah I agree about the London Bridge Tower it looks cool from the renderings. I have seen some great designs for London and elsewhere over the UK but not got approval for the hight limits.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:21 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,735,111 times
Quote:
Why would I do that
Washington also has a height limit. No building (except the Washington Monument) can be taller than the Capitol building. So, approximately 13 stories. Some hate it, claiming it is the cause for high rents and less of an urban "feel", some love it claiming it makes the city different and more "European."

It's funny to stand in Georgetown and look across the river to the high rises in the suburb of Rosslyn, VA.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
Washington also has a height limit. No building (except the Washington Monument) can be taller than the Capitol building. So, approximately 13 stories. Some hate it, claiming it is the cause for high rents and less of an urban "feel", some love it claiming it makes the city different and more "European."

It's funny to stand in Georgetown and look across the river to the high rises in the suburb of Rosslyn, VA.
I agree that it has a different feel to other US cities. I hadn't thought of it as a European feel at the time but thinking back I can identify with that.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:28 PM

271 posts, read 1,239,229 times
It was the Scottish King who joined up England and Scotland, it wasn't the 'fault' of the English. Wales has been considered a part of England for 800 years.
NI is not part of GB, its part of the UK.

The BBC spends more money on the tv/radio system in Scotland and Wales per capita than in England, as the population of those two countries is very low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom