Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 10:20 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,493,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Right with you there!
LOL! It would be the sensible thing to do since so many Northerners feel they have more in common with the Scottish than they do with the English, especially Geordies. Scots and Geordies have a great time when they get together
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 11:18 AM

40 posts, read 113,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
LOL! It would be the sensible thing to do since so many Northerners feel they have more in common with the Scottish than they do with the English, especially Geordies. Scots and Geordies have a great time when they get together
Northerners, having more in common with the Scots? I wouldn't bet on many folks up there sharing that statement. The North of England has never been part of Scotland and simply doesn't fit in with Scotland, so what you're suggesting makes no sense. Did you know that the Scots launched attacks against the North many times?

Incidentally, this argument can be flipped on its head. You could argue that the Scottish borders have more in common with England than they do with the Highlands. After all, Borderers are heavily of Anglo-Saxon descent and culture.

Your earlier post also makes little sense, considering that the only part of the UK with no power to govern itself, is, wait for it, ENGLAND.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:24 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,598,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightonMan84 View Post
Northerners, having more in common with the Scots? I wouldn't bet on many folks up there sharing that statement. The North of England has never been part of Scotland and simply doesn't fit in with Scotland, so what you're suggesting makes no sense. Did you know that the Scots launched attacks against the North many times?

Incidentally, this argument can be flipped on its head. You could argue that the Scottish borders have more in common with England than they do with the Highlands. After all, Borderers are heavily of Anglo-Saxon descent and culture.

Your earlier post also makes little sense, considering that the only part of the UK with no power to govern itself, is, wait for it, ENGLAND.
I have to agree there...Ask any border Englishman close to Scotland or Wales [Herefordshire and Shropshire] and they`ll tell you the most important thing for them is the border....Ohh and the fights..

Old 08-17-2008, 01:10 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,123,649 times
Quote:
Did you know that the Scots launched attacks against the North many times?

And did you know that it was the English that invaded Scotland and raped our land many times. They were greedy and could not be content with their own land but instead launched countless attacks here.

Thats what happens when a greedy monarchy thinks they can conquer the world.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:16 PM

"It was the Scottish King who joined up England and Scotland, it wasn't the 'fault' of the English. "

Post No 40...Unless of course you know different???

Old 08-17-2008, 01:22 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,498,637 times
I think it would really suck right now if the UK split up. They are the most dependable ally.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:35 PM

40 posts, read 113,825 times
Quote:
And did you know that it was the English that invaded Scotland and raped our land many times. They were greedy and could not be content with their own land but instead launched countless attacks here.

Thats what happens when a greedy monarchy thinks they can conquer the world.
Yeah, yeah, so you people have told us hundreds of times before. It wasn't all one way, y'know. It was all about conquest back in those days and Scotland was no different...it's just that you folks were no good at it Seriously, put away your special edition Braveheart DVD and open up a history book.

On that same note, did ye "ken" that the reason Scotland joined with England was because they were bankrupt from a failed colonial venture - the Darien project? Seems like colonialism is only bad when the English do it

Old 08-17-2008, 02:14 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,123,649 times
Quote:
Yeah, yeah, so you people have told us hundreds of times before. It wasn't all one way, y'know. It was all about conquest back in those days and Scotland was no different...it's just that you folks were no good at it Seriously, put away your special edition Braveheart DVD and open up a history book.

On that same note, did ye "ken" that the reason Scotland joined with England was because they were bankrupt from a failed colonial venture - the Darien project? Seems like colonialism is only bad when the English do it
I am not disputing that my country suffered economically I was getting at it was England that invaded Scotland because of greedy monarchy. Something that English people like yourself care not to admit because it was a very dark chapter in Englands history. Thing is, us Scots are quite happy with out wee country.

Pure fact and nothing to do with Braveheart, I did take history in school.

P.S I do not use "ken" because I am from the west, not the east

Last edited by Scotslass; 08-17-2008 at 03:17 PM..

Old 08-17-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
I am not disputing that my country suffered economically I was getting at it was England that invaded Scotland because of greedy monarchy. Something that English people like yourself care not to admit because it was a very dark chapter in Englands history. Thing is, us Scots are quite happy with out wee country.

Pure fact and nothing to do with Braveheart, I did take history in school.
Don`t admit?? I`ll do it every day of the week....We save your arses at every turn...And yes you may have taken history from a Jock point of view...I suggest you retake it from a FACTUAL point of view...

Old 08-17-2008, 05:03 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,493,978 times
Quote:

I think if you re-check your history you will find that certain Northern counties were indeed part of Scotland at various times throughout history

In the 12th century Northumberland was part of Scotland. The original Warkworth Castle was built by my 25th great-grandfather, Henry, Earl of Huntington. In 1141 Durham also became part of the Scottish kingdom. In 1016 Cumberland and parts of Westmoreland were part of Scotland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom