Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2009, 10:56 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,312,274 times

Advertisements

When it gets below zero here?

I flew to Manchester on Monday and what a day I picked. Had to leave home even earlier because of all the accidents or iced roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 12:27 PM

183 posts, read 396,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post

I flew to Manchester on Monday and what a day I picked. Had to leave home even earlier because of all the accidents or iced roads.
1. Councils that seem to be cutting back on gritting the roads. I know my local council are. Pavements, side roads and some non essential main roads go untouched.

2. People that don't adapt their driving to the conditions and race about everywhere no matter what the weather, end up sliding off the road or into others.

3. Bad winter weather can be more unpredictable here. In other countries you might get snow or ice at the same time every year. Here we can have all seasons in one week!

Old 01-09-2009, 01:22 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,118,273 times
People are in too much of a bloody hurry and need to slow down?

People are too stressed in this country and need to chill?

Hmmm I could think of more, got a pen and paper?

Old 01-09-2009, 08:17 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,296,276 times
Quote:

....because the UK has a temperate climate and naturally, isn't used to extremes of hot or cold.

Be grateful that you don't have to experience scorching hot summers or icy cold winters. Britain's weather is one of its best attributes.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:35 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,476,222 times
Because most people in the UK have no idea how to drive in bad weather. It just doesn't snow long enough or hard enough for drivers to get a thorough lesson in how not to crash. People drive too fast, hit the brakes too late and too hard and drive too close to the car in front. You have to slow down, pump the brakes well in advance if you don't have ABS (and even if you do) and keep a healthy distance between you and other drivers. If you do get into trouble, remember to keep the wheels straight and don't jam the brakes on! Wait for the tires to get a grip on the road and if that doesn't happen straightaway, steer gently in the direction you wish to go with your foot off the pedal. And keep your car in good condition, especially when Winter arrives. Check the tires and fluids regularly and sign up with the AA.

Mind you, having said all that, even people living in places where it snows 6-8 months out of the year still drive like total plonkers .

Old 01-14-2009, 12:02 PM

33 posts, read 92,355 times
Simple reason: Britons do not do well in extreme temperatures. Anything outside of our 10-25C range causes all kinds of havoc.

You'd think that given our obsession with the weather, we'd know what to do when we actually something interesting.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaggard View Post
Simple reason: Britons do not do well in extreme temperatures. Anything outside of our 10-25C range causes all kinds of havoc.

You'd think that given our obsession with the weather, we'd know what to do when we actually something interesting.
I have driven in all sorts of extremes abroad and coped fine. 25c is not hot. Try driving in 100 weather with no air con (Mississippi-South Carolina)

Drove in Spain too.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:03 PM

33 posts, read 92,355 times
I didn't necessarily mean driving - more of our inability to deal with extremes. How many people get unexpectedly sunburned when the first hot spell of the year shows up? Every year.

We dont drive well in the snow simply because we're not really used to it - plus when it does come the authorities are usually slow to grit the roads or shovel or whatever so you're driving on the ice and snow and slush - which causes problems.

Most of the areas in the US that are used to the snow keep an eye out for the weather forecasts and grit pre-emptively and are very quick to get the ploughs/plows out, meaning that driving is not necessarily as tricky.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:11 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,312,274 times
I actually meant airports. Even schools were closed for a a day or two.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
I actually meant airports. Even schools were closed for a a day or two.
Hahaha i remember that, we used to go play in the snow when school would close. Ah the good days

Was snowing earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom