Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 02:03 PM

3 posts, read 6,807 times

Advertisements

i am considering a few places in the states for college but i am also looking at england and I was wondering after reading some other post if being and american if i would be ill-received or disliked for being an american and like i said i am at this moment just considering it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 12:33 AM

339 posts, read 1,262,747 times
What sort of College are you looking to go to?

There are at least two types in the UK (that I know of):

Sixth form college
Technical college

Hang on a sec, do you mean College or University?

EDIT: Brits love Americans!

Last edited by collinsl; 02-23-2009 at 12:54 AM..

Old 02-23-2009, 12:34 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whhs162005 View Post
i am considering a few places in the states for college but i am also looking at england and I was wondering after reading some other post if being and american if i would be ill-received or disliked for being an american and like i said i am at this moment just considering it

Why on earth would you be disliked? There are many Americans living in Scotland im sure there are pleanty in England too.

My fiance is American and has never been ill treated.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:21 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
The word you want to use is university. College here is equivalent to your final 2 years of high school- at least in age. In academic work, it's more like your first 2 years of American university if you go to one which required gen ed.

I'm an American studying abroad in the UK but before I went to uni in the States, I looked seriously into applying to several English unis including Kings College London and LSE. First of all, because high schools in the US are so different from the equivalent in the UK, it's not as if you can just apply with no background. Even some of the lower ranked schools I was looking at required 5-7 AP exam grades of either a 4 or a 5. That's something you have to plan for years in advance. If you go to an IB school, it's better because you naturally take all the IB courses, but you still have to score very well.

As far as Americans being liked, I've never really had a problem. It can get a bit offensive sometimes when getting teased for the accent which isn't something I was prepared for. I have some friends who have adopted a southern English accent to avoid the random jibes for their American accents, but I think that's kind of immature. :P

Old 02-23-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
The word you want to use is university. College here is equivalent to your final 2 years of high school- at least in age. In academic work, it's more like your first 2 years of American university if you go to one which required gen ed.

I'm an American studying abroad in the UK but before I went to uni in the States, I looked seriously into applying to several English unis including Kings College London and LSE. First of all, because high schools in the US are so different from the equivalent in the UK, it's not as if you can just apply with no background. Even some of the lower ranked schools I was looking at required 5-7 AP exam grades of either a 4 or a 5. That's something you have to plan for years in advance. If you go to an IB school, it's better because you naturally take all the IB courses, but you still have to score very well.

As far as Americans being liked, I've never really had a problem. It can get a bit offensive sometimes when getting teased for the accent which isn't something I was prepared for. I have some friends who have adopted a southern English accent to avoid the random jibes for their American accents, but I think that's kind of immature. :P

The main difference between the both is that:

University you can do a degree and the entry is a bit tougher than getting into college. I've been to college twice and now im at university. A whole different ball game altogether.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:16 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
The main difference between the both is that:

University you can do a degree and the entry is a bit tougher than getting into college. I've been to college twice and now im at university. A whole different ball game altogether.
For an American, there is really no difference between a college and university except that colleges GENERALLY do not have graduate programs and sometimes colleges are one part of a university (ie a College of Arts and Sciences or College of Engineering). You get an undergrad degree from both.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
For an American, there is really no difference between a college and university except that colleges GENERALLY do not have graduate programs and sometimes colleges are one part of a university (ie a College of Arts and Sciences or College of Engineering). You get an undergrad degree from both.
Education here shaped the American system, its just a traditional way. Universities were "higher" thought of and tougher to get into. Colleges you can sit anything apart from degrees.

I much prefer university than college.

I have quite a bit of knowledge regarding the U.S system as my American fiance studied here and in the U.S

Old 10-04-2009, 05:29 PM

1 posts, read 3,554 times
I am also thinking of going to university or college in England. I am curreently in american high school and my boyfriend who lives in England says I may not have to take college and just go to university. Which one do I go to college or uni?

Old 10-04-2009, 05:45 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NarikoYukikatana View Post
I am also thinking of going to university or college in England. I am curreently in american high school and my boyfriend who lives in England says I may not have to take college and just go to university. Which one do I go to college or uni?
You should look at going to a University. A UK school could be very cost-effective compared to an equally rated US school as British overseas student rates are often much lower than fees at some of the better US universities.

Obviously you will need to look into entrance requirements as British Universities can set quite stringent academic requirements.

Most British Universities can give you an academic transcript at the end of the course which is translated into US GPA equivalents.

Don't worry about the American thing. Americans are very well accepted in the UK. You just need a sense of humor.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:46 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,323,521 times
Manyu universities have year long exchange programmes with American colleges, so you can have the best of both worlds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom