Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 11:39 PM

2 posts, read 5,448 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering what people in the UK, and in Scotland in particular, think about the likelihood of Scotland ever becoming a truly independent country? From what (admittedly) little I know about public opinion regarding this issue, it seems that Scottish people like the idea of independence in theory, but the prospect of independence in reality, and all the responsibility that would entail, is perhaps less attractive.

Also, it's my understanding (also admittedly somewhat lacking) that the supposedly pro-independence Scottish National Party supports retaining the monarchy, keeping Scotland in the British Commonwealth, and retaining the pound as the national currency. Are these things true? Because if they are, that doesn't really sound like independence to me.

So, can anyone shed any light on the true depth of feeling in Scotland vis a vis independence, and also just how committed to "real" independence is the Scottish National Party?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 12:31 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,114,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpnjack View Post
I was just wondering what people in the UK, and in Scotland in particular, think about the likelihood of Scotland ever becoming a truly independent country?

Well most of the people that I've associated with would like to see our country "free" (as they say) again. It would be nice for both countries to have a go at being independent but happening now? Not for a long time.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:44 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,322,887 times
Why have you only asked what the Scots think?

Do the English have no say in our own independence?

As in any divorce, I would be a little sad to see us split apart, but maybe it would be best for both parties.

As for the Nats, how can you be independent and governed by the EU?

Old 02-23-2009, 01:31 PM

2 posts, read 5,448 times
Hengist, if you read my question thoroughly you'll see that I asked what the people of the UK think about this issue - that includes England.

I'd like to know how a country can be truly independent with a foreign head of state, using a foreign currency. That's what I'm curious about. How serious is the Scottish National Party about REAL independence? And how keen are ordinary Scottish people to have full responsibility over their own affairs?

The reason this interests me is because there are many small to medium-sized countries that are fully independent and have done very well for themselves (Ireland, Netherlands, Denmark, Switzerland, Singapore, among others). I don't see why Scotland wouldn't succeed as well with full independence, and I don't really understand why they don't just go for it. That's why I asked what people in Scotland in particular think about this issue - presumably they'd have the most insight.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpnjack View Post
Hengist, if you read my question thoroughly you'll see that I asked what the people of the UK think about this issue - that includes England.

I'd like to know how a country can be truly independent with a foreign head of state, using a foreign currency. That's what I'm curious about. How serious is the Scottish National Party about REAL independence? And how keen are ordinary Scottish people to have full responsibility over their own affairs?

The reason this interests me is because there are many small to medium-sized countries that are fully independent and have done very well for themselves (Ireland, Netherlands, Denmark, Switzerland, Singapore, among others). I don't see why Scotland wouldn't succeed as well with full independence, and I don't really understand why they don't just go for it. That's why I asked what people in Scotland in particular think about this issue - presumably they'd have the most insight.
I've already explained in my previous post.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:20 PM

183 posts, read 396,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Well most of the people that I've associated with would like to see our country "free" (as they say) again. It would be nice for both countries to have a go at being independent but happening now? Not for a long time.
Don't see it happening either, not in the current climate. We have to be careful what we wish for. Too many Scots get the Braveheart tinted glasses on about independence without actually thinking through what it actually entails. And I don't really trust Alex Salmond or his party either. Would we all live with higher taxes to go independent? What effect would this have with our business relationship with the rest of the UK?

If both Scotland and England went fully independent and it didn't work, it's alot harder to try and put things back the way they were.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:56 PM

3,261 posts, read 3,704,318 times
A good sensible post Tartanlad.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:59 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,322,887 times
Mentioning the nationality of the Prime Ministers who rule over the English in the context of English independence is off topic? Hurrah for Blair and Brown. They have done a great job with the English economy.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:46 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,765,578 times
Dont the Scottish have too much power and influence in the English system?
No offense to the Scottish,just curious....

Old 02-24-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Dont the Scottish have too much power and influence in the English system?
No offense to the Scottish,just curious....
Its the other way round. Alex Salmond is in the US debating Scottish independence right now. I suppose it has its good and bad, but with the economic climate im not sure right now would be such a good idea.

I know the Scottish government is fighting for more power for our country considering most of the "decision" making is done in Westminster (England) which i think is unfair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom