Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 06:10 PM

257 posts, read 1,444,716 times

Advertisements

Oh I know, his company has offices all over the world so we just want to be flexible and ready to roll!
Thanks for everyones help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 07:05 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellabella View Post
Oh I know, his company has offices all over the world so we just want to be flexible and ready to roll!
Thanks for everyones help.
Get the Green Card first. If he gets moved with his company that is a totally different situation and the company immigration attornies should be able to get a re-entry permit which would allow him to be out of the USA for longer than a year.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:33 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,240,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
I understand your reasoning here..about the economy and all.. It's good to have a backup plan if possible.

Just want to point out if you weren't already aware that the economy in Europe (Ireland's in particular) is far worse than anything you see here in the US or Canada. They're anticipating a possible 20% unemployment rate and will take much longer to recover as well. Very doubtful that your husband would get any job over there right now...

20%.. who is predicting that? Unemployment in the UK is around 7.2% at May 2009. France at 8.8%, Germany 8.3%, Ireland 11.8%. USA is around 9.5%.. and so actually a little higher than the big European economies.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:56 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,986,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
20%.. who is predicting that? Unemployment in the UK is around 7.2% at May 2009. France at 8.8%, Germany 8.3%, Ireland 11.8%. USA is around 9.5%.. and so actually a little higher than the big European economies.
Okay, perhaps I exaggerated a little..17%...Ireland I'm talking about. I'm not informed on the rest of the EU.

Economy forecast to shrink 15.6% | Irish Examiner

I also know that the media and the Irish government tend to make things even seem "brighter" than what is predicted or implied (remember the "soft" landing of the housing bubble?) ..so perhaps 20% Ireland is not that far off at some point..

Of course I'm hoping that it won't be as bad as that.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:59 AM

447 posts, read 1,765,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Not if they have EU passports.
If you (the spouse) do not already have an Irish passport, you must now live in Ireland for a specified time before you can get one.

Also be aware that it takes time to get registered on the foreign birth registry. My husband did it in 1999 and it took 8 months. We did move to England then Ireland for a time after that. The kids and I had EEA family member stamps in our passports, which allowed me to work.

I applied for my Irish passport (we had since moved back to the US) in 2005, just before Ireland changed the rule and began requiring residency before issuing citizenship). It took well over ONE year for my citizenship papers to be issued-

At least in the US, you can get a 6 month EEA stamp before you move (we did that through the UK consulate in Los Angeles) then I applied for the 5 year stamp once we were in England. That was a pretty painless process and only took about 4 weeks.

Good luck. We loved living in Ireland and the UK. We lived in Ireland 2000-01; and the UK 99-2000, and 2005-August 2008.

Word of caution: Southeast England is very expensive, though. It was a huge shock as we were coming from the relatively low cost of living city of Houston.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:30 PM

3 posts, read 5,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellabella View Post
Just wondering if anyone can tell me if my husband and children are allowed to work in the UK or the EU since they have Irish Citizenship through family. (husbands mom was born there)
I keep trying to get my husband to get his passport and I am waiting on him to do it so I can get the children theirs (although, I think they can get theirs through the grandmother)
We are from Canada and would love to know if he can just apply a job in EU countries or if he is limited to Ireland or just the UK.
Thanks for any info.
Sometimes on here you can get a quick direct answer rather than sifting through web sites, THANKS!!
Hi mellabella,

Just wondering how everything made out with the Irish citizenship. Am going to apply for it myself. Did your husband get his passport ok? Am Canadian too and am a bit nervous with how long the process will take. Not to mention when I do go airport security and they don't hear an Irish accent off me .

P.S. Saw your post on google and decided to give you a shout. Am really nervous about it because I want everything to go alright. Am trying to get back to my boyfriend in the UK so want to make the process as fast I can.. It's a bit of a pain getting all of the document though haha. Anyway hope everything is going well!

Old 01-05-2012, 03:20 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,107,233 times
Yes, if your husband's mom is Irish, then he's Irish. But he must register himself at the Consular Registry of the Irish Embassy as "out of date" citizens and initiate the paperwork. It might take 1 or 2 years. Then, when he's Irish, you can obteian the EEC resident status as a "spouse of citizen" and work in any EEC country.

Last edited by Manolón; 01-05-2012 at 03:32 AM..

Old 04-07-2015, 06:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,075 times
I have an Australian passport, I have been in Australia for 44 years and now I have an irish passport, can I now live in the uk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom