Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For UK citizens ONLY,do u prefer your own system or the USA system ?
UK system 9 90.00%
USA system 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 03:51 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,551,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Yes and medical insurance is VERY expensive I have seen people pay $600 per month. The UK is cheaper to live.

Then you have property taxes and state, income, sales, federal taxes etc
Nope-disagree-US is cheaper.
Property tax is instead of council tax.
We pay VAT,and income tax too.
Things to do with families and eating out is cheaper.
Accomodation is cheaper.
Petrol and cars are cheaper.
Groceries are about the same, but you can afford a bigger yard and grow your own!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 06:31 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,984,487 times
Having lived in both countries, let me point something out. It's difficult to generalise about local costs of living in the US in terms of statutory taxes, because there are so many differences, whereas in the UK it's really only going to be difference in council tax. Some US states don't have a state income tax at all (e.g. Texas, Florida). Others don't have any sales tax/VAT (e.g. Delaware). There is a wide continuum along which state income taxes range. Property taxes vary widely (e.g. very high in New Jersey, very low in Delaware). There is no council tax per se (property tax on real estate substitutes for that). As to nonstatutory costs, those of course vary greatly within both the UK and US: London and Manhattan are both terribly expensive; some little town in Texas or in Shropshire much less so.

I think the OP was really asking about political structures, however. Frankly I think that's rather silly, because the structures of each country have their respective advantages and disadvantages, and both have evolved to address different realities (e.g. America was already a collection of self-governing colonies that demanded a federal system when the country was founded). It's chalk and cheese, apples and oranges.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:12 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,752,372 times
Quote:
the structures of each country have their respective advantages and disadvantages, and both have evolved to address different realities (e.g. America was already a collection of self-governing colonies that demanded a federal system when the country was founded). It's chalk and cheese, apples and oranges.

Moderator's Note:

I think the above analysis sums things up very nicely.

However, if you folks wish to civilly discuss chalk and cheese, far be for me to stand in the way. That said, please be advised that if the thread turns into a senseless, nationalistic chest-beating contest, if will be closed toute suite.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:12 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,118,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
Groceries are about the same, but you can afford a bigger yard and grow your own!
Good point

Old 10-05-2009, 02:51 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,244,275 times
One is built on small government, individual responsibility and accountability, and opportunity for everybody. The other is about collective social responsibility, bigger government control, and a welfare safety net. You could go on for days debating the pros and cons of each.

The one thing that pis**es me off more than anything in the UK is our attitude toward the royal family - the biggest welfare recipient family in the world. 'Democracy' is a bit of an illusion in both countries, but in the US people at least try to adhere to 'all born equal' - and the head of state has to be elected!

Old 10-05-2009, 04:02 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,490,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
One is built on small government, individual responsibility and accountability, and opportunity for everybody. The other is about collective social responsibility, bigger government control, and a welfare safety net. You could go on for days debating the pros and cons of each.

The one thing that pis**es me off more than anything in the UK is our attitude toward the royal family - the biggest welfare recipient family in the world. 'Democracy' is a bit of an illusion in both countries, but in the US people at least try to adhere to 'all born equal' - and the head of state has to be elected!

U just gave me the idea for an interesting new thread...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom