Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2009, 09:48 PM

7 posts, read 14,302 times

Advertisements

I''m not even sure if this is the right place to post this, but it looks right, so here goes.

I am wanting to around the Manchester area but I'm not sure how to go about it, or the appropriate steps to take. The more i read when Googling for the answer, the more confused and conflicting stories I get!

I'm 26, male, single, from the US.

I work from home, and can work anywhere in the world with an internet connection.

I have around $250k saved up and make around $15-20k a month.

I visited the UK last year and loved every second of it, and have dreamed of going back and living there.

What would it take for me to become a citizen and to live there?

What about taxes since I'm paid USD, etc?

What steps would I need to take to make this dream a reality?

I think that covers it :P

Please let me know!!

I'm A Nomad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 03:42 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,225 times
You need to qualify for a work permit: for tier 1 you need a master's degree - this permit allows you to do any kind of work you want. Alternatively for tier 2 you need a bachelor's degree in a shortage profession plus a British-based company to sponsor you. Work permits are usually good for 2 to 5 years but if you can renew one enough times to live in the UK for 5 years you can then apply for permanent residence and ultimately citizenship. Please note that you cannot live in the UK to do any kind of work - even working over the internet - without a work permit.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:58 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
This is the only website you really need to follow: UK Border Agency | Sponsored skilled workers

Old 10-17-2009, 08:09 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Re: tax

As a US citizen, you are liable for US tax no matter where you live in the world. However, there is a double taxation treaty between the UK and USA so you will pay UK tax and show that as a credit on your US tax return. If your US tax liability is greater than your UK one, you will then pay the difference to to US govt.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:19 PM

267 posts, read 1,287,595 times
I think you're going to have a big problem getting a visa to be straight with you. As said you need to offer a great qualification or skill that there's a shortage in. I appreciate you wanting to try another country (as like me you work online) though. How much do you know about Manchester? I ask as Manchester has one of the most expensive area's of the country with 7 figure homes just out side it but it also has a few really bad area's you'd not want to live in. My mate is a copper for greater manchester police. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom