Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2010, 07:44 PM

784 posts, read 2,729,450 times

Advertisements

I'm curious, what is the grading system in UK Universities? What does 2:2 mean? 2:1? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 08:03 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,322,542 times
A first is for brainboxes and drama students.

A 2:1 is the requirement to go on to teacher training, and shows the student worked reasonably hard.

A 2:2 usually means they spent a fair time in the pub and did the minimum required.

A third suggests they were on the wrong course or were just lazy.

Wikipedia have an article on it here: British undergraduate degree classification - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I got a 2:1 part time, and was amazed by the laziness and arrogance of some younger full time students.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:51 PM

784 posts, read 2,729,450 times
Thanks.

How is someone with a 2:2 or a third from Oxford / Cambridge viewed vs. someone who has a first from a "lesser known" university?

Old 04-03-2010, 01:40 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Just be aware that, while the overall degree may be a 2:1, that individual courses within the degree will be marked individually and that these are shown in the transcript every student gets. So, a discerning employer may look beyond the overall classification depending on what they are looking for.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:40 PM

32 posts, read 583,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
Thanks.

How is someone with a 2:2 or a third from Oxford / Cambridge viewed vs. someone who has a first from a "lesser known" university?
A slacker that graduates from a world class top university will still get quite a bit of credit with employers even if they didn't do so well. "lesser known" isn't that specific as there are some horrible universities in the UK where graduating at the top of your class isn't considered as special since the university is so bad. (Luton, greenwich university etc.)

In real life grades aren't that important in all subjects, some fields give you an advantage just for going to good school and some fields gives you an advantage if you actually did well at whatever school you went. It all comes down to the employer and what's important to him/her.. If you're employer is an oxbridge graduate he/she might give special treatment to students who went the same route as him/her. if an employer was a member of some fraternity/sorority he/she might give special treatment to brothers/sisters of that house.

College is complicated and you can't really put a finger on who has the better advantage than others. But whatever school you're going to you should apply yourself 100% and do well so that it doesn't bite you in the a-ss later.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:43 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsk123 View Post
A slacker that graduates from a world class top university will still get quite a bit of credit with employers even if they didn't do so well. "lesser known" isn't that specific as there are some horrible universities in the UK where graduating at the top of your class isn't considered as special since the university is so bad.

In real life grades aren't that important in all subjects, some fields give you an advantage just for going to good school and some fields gives you an advantage if you actually did well at whatever school you went.
Yes, the University you get into also reflects how well you did at school (High School) as the better universities demand higher grades in A Levels (or Highers).

Old 04-05-2010, 03:35 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
Thanks.

Well, some might assume your family was rich enough or connected enough to get you into a top level university even tho you're as thick as a brick (Prince Edward anyone ?). Others might assume that getting a 2:2 from Oxbridge is so much more difficult that you might've worked really hard just to get that. I don't know how true this still is, but it used to be that it didn't matter what grade you got: if you'd graduated from Oxbridge you were set for life.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:35 AM

93 posts, read 307,900 times
Wikipedia points out nicknames for the grades, how widely are these used?

Are they used seriously, or just for fun?

Old 04-14-2010, 07:35 AM

18 posts, read 63,876 times
The nicknames are just for fun, I cant imagine you would ever discuss them with a potential employer.

Having studied in both the US and the UK, I would say a '2.1' is similar to having a B-average. Most (not all) of the larger graduate employers would request a 2.1 and some also stipulate A-Level grades- which in turn influence which university you got into. You could therefore have a first class degree but due to A -Level grades still not be accepted onto the programme of your choice (this isnt true for everyone, my roommate got a 2.2 and was accepted by one of the most well thought-of employers, because she has the gift of the gab!).

I know when I was at univerity studying law, only about 3% of our year got 1sts. Then it was something like 40% 2.1, 40% 2.2, 10% 3rd and the rest failed!

Old 04-22-2010, 06:51 PM

439 posts, read 1,221,259 times
Another thing to bear in mind is how the class is calculated...if you take say 10 courses and get 6 As, you got a 1st at my uni. A lot of people got 5 As and so got stuck with 2:1s, and they missed that 6th A by about 2%...just a little thing like that can make a big difference. That's one reason I prefer the American GPA system; it's more transparent who got what.

And yes, I was one of those people who got only 5 As instead of 6 The difference between my class and the class of a couple of my friends looks artificially large.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom