Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 09:11 AM
j.f

15 posts, read 48,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Don't worry .. they have KFC, McDonalds, Wendy and Burger King in the UK
Yes, and you just substitute £ for $ in the price - but at least at today's exchange rate you're paying not quite one and a half times the price in dollars, which is a little less painful than when it was over $2 to the £.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 01:19 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,285,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
It might be a fun move for a year or so. Prepare yourself to pay more than you ever expected for everything. Oh and you are going to miss American customer service and endless food choices big time.
American customer service possibly. Endless food choices? Surely you jest.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:28 AM

8 posts, read 25,675 times
Hello,

Thanks to all the responses. I've been back and forth to the UK over the years, last time being last year, so I'm quite aware of the "British lifestyle" (i.e more expensive, less customer service..haha.. etc.) as mentioned by some of the posts here, so I'm prepared for that angle.

@Jaggy001 - I'm not into fast food, so I wont miss it here nor there. But will definitely be into the Indian takeout in London!

I will have enough money to keep me going for several months before I find a job, albeit I'd prefer one right away, but it's tough to do from here, when you are not on the ground.

I'm also aware of the economy, jobs situation but its definitely no different here in the States right now. Its tough here too, so I'm taking that into consideration.

Essentially,among a few personal reasons....I just really love the U.K and its always been a part of me, even though I left as a kid. It's also closer for my only family, who reside in South Africa to come visit, and for me to be a part of their lives and vice versa. The sort of priorities that become important to you as you grow older. Family, citizenry (having lived all over the place, never even voted, gasp) and just to build a foundation for my future, in my home country.

I hope that kind of gives you a sense of where I am, without boring you.

Coming back to the tips etc..., I guess first thing when I get there would be to get my social security number ( NHS #in the U.K) right? so I can apply for work ?

Old 06-17-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Just be aware that, even though you are a UK citizen, it will be like going to live in a foreign country for you. Your work experience and qualifications may not transfer easily and you could have difficulty in the current economic climate in getting a decent job. Also, expect to take at least 1-2 years to acclimatise and be prepared for bouts of homesickness too.
I'm sure I would miss the U.S to some extent, mostly my friends. But I've travelled throughout my life, just based on the nature of my parents occupation, so I'm quite used to that. Nothing I don't think I could get over with time.

As for work, economic climate is tough on both sides of the Atlantic currently, I would give myself enough time to patiently look. My work experience and education, from what I understand, should transfer too regardless. we shall see....

Old 06-18-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by george2010 View Post
@Jaggy001 - I'm not into fast food, so I wont miss it here nor there. But will definitely be into the Indian takeout in London!...

So the humour will take a while for you to get then George LOL - I am 99.99999% positive Jaggy's comment on fast food equalling "endless food choices" was tongue-in-cheek

Old 06-19-2010, 11:25 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
So the humour will take a while for you to get then George LOL - I am 99.99999% positive Jaggy's comment on fast food equalling "endless food choices" was tongue-in-cheek
Quite

Old 06-19-2010, 02:12 PM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,925 times
Quote:
Also, expect to take at least 1-2 years to acclimatise and be prepared for bouts of homesickness too.
I lived in the US for 48 years before moving to the UK. No homesickness. Didn't miss a thing. About a year to acclimatise.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
I lived in the US for 48 years before moving to the UK. No homesickness. Didn't miss a thing. About a year to acclimatise.
I'm not homesick either (moved to UK at age 44). In fact I am in Canada visiting family right now and I miss the UK!

Old 06-20-2010, 06:08 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
I'm not homesick either (moved to UK at age 44). In fact I am in Canada visiting family right now and I miss the UK!
I know what you mean! We lived in Uganda for 2 years and as much as I enjoyed it I was sometimes so painfully homesick for Scotland. Never got homesick for the US.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Quite
ha ok, u got me....momentary loss of my wit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom