Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 10:34 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGomez27 View Post
Wow, a city of 20 million , and a city named Getamap and not even a lot of crime??????
You also forgot a city full of pot smokers. Read under my education option.
Lol why whats wrong with it being named "getamap"? Or having 20,000,000 people, or not having crime?

I would imagine that to be a Utopian city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 11:54 PM

546 posts, read 1,176,778 times
City Name: Bakersville, NY
Population: 30,000,000
Land Area: 1200 sq. mi.
Location: Less than a mile off the coast of Brooklyn and Queens, NYC and it is connected to it by both highway bridges with high speed trains that go over 300 mph.
Demographics: 55% White, 3% Asian, 15% Hispanic/latino, 22% African American, 5% Other
Education: 34% have a college education
Crime: The lowest crime of all major cities
Elevation: at sea level and somewhat higher
Nightlife: Over 500 nightclubs, over 5000 different restaurants, and over 2000 bars

It is a very large city. The average density of this city is 25,000 people per square mile. In comparison, Manhattan has around 26,000 approximate people per square mile. It is on a large island that is about 7/10ths the size of Long Island, right below Long Island. It is connected by high speed train that goes straight to NYC, Philly, and DC. It has two major airports. There are maglev subways which are operated by computer that are laid across the grid over the whole city, making almost all trips not to be made by car. 60% of the people own cars, but rarely use them and they sit in automated parking garages similar to those robotic ones in Tokyo. 80% of the land in the city is under a non-profit land trust which limits the equity that you can build on your condo or home here, making the place permanently affordable to poor people and middle clsss families. Most people here are transplants from many states or immigrants from foreign countries. It is a very child friendly city and rated #1 place to raise a family. The cost of living is very low compared to Manhattan, and there is very little taxes there. In fact the COL index for Bakersville is 104 (100 being the national US average). This city is one of the best city for biking, and it is laid out in a very dense grid pattern. 99% of all activities you need to do such as getting groceries, medical, dentist, going to work or school can be accomplished by walking with within 1 miles of a person's residence. This city has lots of high quality parks. The cities' streets are also optimized for both walking and bike travel, if you don't want to use the grid system subway to goes throughout the entire 1200 square mile city. It has multiple CBDs which have very tall buildings reaching much higher than the Burj Khalifa in Dubai, UAE. There are green roofs on many of the buildings. It is a very green city. The city grows food through sophisticated high rise urban farms that use space-age technology to grow what is equivelant to several states worth of food production in seafood, fruits and vegetables, and chickens. The city is surrounding by pristine forests and 90% of the island which Bakersville is based on is considered protected wildlands and no human development or resource extraction is allowed there. The water for this city comes from desalination plants which are high tech and minimize pollution and enviornmental damage. This city also is home to one of the first cold fusion power plants besides the ones that are in Russia and China.

This is my perfect city.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:02 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,005,791 times
I have two dream cities. One would be to put Manhattan NY where Miami Beach is and put Washington DC where Miami is, then put Miami and Miami Beach in Broward county. Now that is one hell of a city.

Another would be to take all the barrier Islands and intercoastal islands of Miami Dade County and downtown Miami and put it in the Mid Atlantic a about 200 miles north of the Equator.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:14 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
City Name: Miranda, Arkansaw
Population: 53,000
Land Area: 17 sq. mi.
Location: The mountainous Northwestern part of the Vice-royalty of Arkansaw.
Demographics: 55% White, 22% African American, 20% Quapaw, 3% Chinese
Education: 43% have a bachelor's or associates degree.
Crime: Equivalent to Eau Claire, Wisconsin of our timeline.
Elevation: 1200 feet. Roads are well-maintained and safe.
Nightlife: Three notable taverns, an all-night theater, and a dance hall.

Miranda is named for Prospero's daughter in Shakespeare's The Tempest. It is the capital of the Vice-Royalty and as such is center on the elegant "Ivory Palace" of Viceroy Robert Hawthorne-Taylor of New Lincolnshire. The Viceroy is mostly a ceremonial figure and actual political power resides in the Senate, which is an elected body chosen from among the educated.

Besides the palace the city is noted for its theater and its great monastic college. The monks are allowed a fair amount of freedom to merriment, but if a monk is found guilty of inappropriate conduct with a student he is sentenced to his choice of castration or death. The college allows degrees in medicine, astronomy, mathematics, Latin, Classical Greek, Arabic, Mandarin, and several other subjects. There have been increasing connections to the exciting research into automata that are going on in the Chinese Empire. This is why the Chinese population has grown and the school now offers Mandarin.

Despite being a government and monastic center the theater element of the city assures delights for those of a less spiritual and perhaps more bawdy outlook. In many of the plays women are allowed to act and in some of them they expose their knees or engage in ribaldry. There are also the taverns. Zoning laws assure that any brothel is well outside the city. For those men who pursue the "Japanese vice", which is technically legal in Arkansaw, you should go to the basement of the all-night theater and be discreet.

Finally the town is known for its rich Quapaw heritage as the land was bought from them and tolerance of their ways has been encouraged since the days of the first Earl of New Lincolnshire.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:01 AM

377 posts, read 1,082,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
What do you think is the population?
That was the population.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:19 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times
My fantasy city would consist of mountains with no people around. Yep that's the ticket

Old 08-26-2010, 06:55 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times
My fantasy city is what I would want my city to be. Not really what was intended in this thread but I day dream about this all the time.

City Name: Pueblo, Colorado

Population: City: 1 million people. Metro: 2.5 to 3 million Million people (and growing)

Demographics: Good mix, melting pot, with a great gay part of town with thousands of people.

Education: Most people over 18 have the equivalent of a Master's Degree or greater.
I would like Colorado State University - Pueblo to be the largest university in the state with over 40,000 students and Pueblo Community College have over 25,000 students.

Crime: Very low for a city its size.

Sports: All the major sports teams and CSU Pueblo a division 1 school.

Airport: Pueblo Memorial International Airport with a airline based here preferably United. I want it to be like O'Hare with non stop flights to many of the large cities not only in the United States but the world.

Hospitals: I would like CSU Pueblo to work with the State Hospital and a local hospital to have one of the best teaching schools in the country and have its own hospital as well, CSU Pueblo Medical Center. Then it can work with the regional hospitals to make Pueblo the regional medical center for the southern part of the Rocky Mountain Region.

Downtown. I would want downtown to rival any major city in the world with sky scrapers just as tall as any city in the United States and many fortune 50 and 100 companies headquartered there. I want our Riverwalk to connect the historic train depot to the lake going past the convention center and arena and football and baseball stadium as well as the art district. I would like the Sangre De Crist art center to be just as large and impressive as the Disney theater in LA and attract the large Broadway shows from NYC and shows from London. I want the art center to be just as impressive as any in NYC with major art shows all year from all over the world. I would want all the major sports teams (NFL, Hockey, Baseball, and Hockey) to have arenas and stadiums in downtown drawing thousands of people to sold out games. (Forget soccer!)

Mass Transit: I would want Pueblo to have a combination of subway, light rail and bus system centered around the historic train depot in downtown. I, also, want the train depot to be the southern hub for the HSR network connecting Colorado to New Mexico with Amtrak going there connecting points east and west.

Now is this too much to ask for.......

Last edited by Josseppie; 08-26-2010 at 07:36 PM..

Old 08-26-2010, 07:49 PM

377 posts, read 1,082,322 times
Cool 2 cities, want I want mine to be, and San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
My fantasy city is what I would want my city to be. Not really what was intended in this thread but I day dream about this all the time.

City Name: Pueblo, Colorado

Population: City: 1 million people. Metro: 2.5 to 3 million Million people (and growing)

Demographics: Good mix, melting pot, with a great gay part of town with thousands of people.

Education: Most people over 18 have the equivalent of a Master's Degree or greater.
I would like Colorado State University - Pueblo to be the largest university in the state with over 40,000 students and Pueblo Community College have over 25,000 students.

Crime: Very low for a city its size.

Sports: All the major sports teams and CSU Pueblo a division 1 school.

Airport: Pueblo Memorial International Airport with a airline based here preferably United. I want it to be like O'Hare with non stop flights to many of the large cities not only in the United States but the world.

Hospitals: I would like CSU Pueblo to work with the State Hospital and a local hospital to have one of the best teaching schools in the country and have its own hospital as well, CSU Pueblo Medical Center. Then it can work with the regional hospitals to make Pueblo the regional medical center for the southern part of the Rocky Mountain Region.

Downtown. I would want downtown to rival any major city in the world with sky scrapers just as tall as any city in the United States and many fortune 50 and 100 companies headquartered there. I want our Riverwalk to connect the historic train depot to the lake going past the convention center and arena and football and baseball stadium as well as the art district. I would like the Sangre De Crist art center to be just as large and impressive as the Disney theater in LA and attract the large Broadway shows from NYC and shows from London. I want the art center to be just as impressive as any in NYC with major art shows all year from all over the world. I would want all the major sports teams (NFL, Hockey, Baseball, and Hockey) to have arenas and stadiums in downtown drawing thousands of people to sold out games. (Forget soccer!)

Mass Transit: I would want Pueblo to have a combination of subway, light rail and bus system centered around the historic train depot in downtown. I, also, want the train depot to be the southern hub for the HSR network connecting Colorado to New Mexico with Amtrak going there connecting points east and west.

Now is this too much to ask for.......

Now that is not bad, asking what you want your city to be .

I want San Diego be like this.

Area: 292.4 sq mi (less than the real 324.3)
Population: 2,000,000 (come on man, 600,000 left )
Education: 99.4% of students learning, 87.6% of that like school
Crime: low (less chance that I can get murdured)
Sports: all 4 major teams in US (we already have Chargers and the Pads)
Downtown: tall buildings to be 1,000 feet tall

What San Diego is:
Area: 324.3 sq mi
Population: 1,400,000
Crime: extremely low
Sports: 2/4 (Chargers and Pads)
Dowtown: building to 500 feet tall

Old 08-27-2010, 01:34 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post

If everybody has a master's or greater (or equivalent) wouldn't that drive all thier income down? IE make master's a dime a dozen?

Old 08-27-2010, 09:01 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
If everybody has a master's or greater (or equivalent) wouldn't that drive all thier income down? IE make master's a dime a dozen?
Good point. I put that because it sounded good and was not giving much thought to the unintended consequences. Plus to be honest not everyone needs a masers degree or better so I should put most people over the age of 18 have a associates degree or some kind of technical degree or better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning