Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 09:33 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times

Advertisements

Like many subdivisions throughout the country, this subdivision in the Cincinnati suburbs was left half-finished. A developer is offering to buy what's left but he would reduce lot sizes and build cheaper houses. The neighbors who already built 500,000+ McMansions, oppose the plan, saying it isn't what they signed up for.

Is this a legit complaint or classism? I think we'll see this situation repeated throughout the country. A developer can replat a subdivision with local approval and part of that process involves public input. In this case, the input will be neighbors concerned about property values.

Personally, I would prefer living in a mixed-income neighborhood or subdivision, but the people who bought into this one in the first place clearly do not share that attitude.

I thought this might be an interesting topic for discussion

Here is the newspaper article: Cheaper home plan fought | cincinnati.com | Cincinnati.Com
Here is commentary from one of the Cincinnati blogs: Cincinnati Blog: Classism in McMansionville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 12:24 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
The enxt move for thosw where the 100,000 price levl is meantioned is aprtments moving in then they will be the ones up in arms.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:40 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
I don't know where some of you folks live but I've never lived anywhere that was just one income level. Except for when I was stationed at Pensacola NAS I've lived in small towns or rural areas my whole life.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:44 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I don't know where some of you folks live but I've never lived anywhere that was just one income level. Except for when I was stationed at Pensacola NAS I've lived in small towns or rural areas my whole life.
Small towns and rural areas are not the suburbs, generally. Part of the problem is the idea that American urban forms are of two basic types: high-rise, hyper-dense urbanist cities, and suburbs/rural. This assumes that suburbs, small towns and remote rural areas are all identical, which is obviously false.

Small towns generally have a lot of the characteristics that "new urbanists" tend to like: walkability, a clearly defined neighborhood center (the town square), nearby civic functions (the county courthouse/library/city hall), a traditional, walkable downtown (typically street-fronting retail buildings with apartments or offices above), transit orientation (or used to be, back when every small town was based around its railroad connection), and mixture of economic classes and residential uses close to the town center (the residential districts usually right next to the small-town downtown.)

Suburbs tend to feature noticeable income stratification, both because suburban tracts tend to feature a very limited number of differing lot and house sizes--there may be some variety, but seldom do you find mansions and economy apartments in close proximity. The modern suburb is very, very different from small towns, despite the efforts of suburb developers to emphasize their "small-town feel." A car-centric "power center" shopping district does not resemble a small-town downtown at all.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:59 AM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
I'm glad you did the differentiation, I was hoping someone would, since many of the posters here don't know what they're talking about when it comes to zoning, building codes, urban/suburban/rural distinctions, etc.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:42 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Actually, many suburbs started out as small towns. They usually started zoning out lower land uses after development took off. And the transformation of wealthy areas to mixed or even lower income areas is not new. As the well-off moved on, sometimes their old homes were divided into apartments.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:41 PM

Small towns that become suburbs typically means the end of that small-town character, though: the downtown goes empty because the new freeway interchange isn't nearby, everyone shops at the new mall or power center near said freeway interchange instead so downtown goes broke, the income diversity goes away as lower-income residents get priced out, the walkability suffers as suburban zoning limits or outright bans mixed use--those "lower" land uses.

And yes, some suburbs degrade into low-income suburbs over time, but they remain economically segregated, just with a new demographic. When a neighborhood starts going downhill, there is often a quick exodus by the well-to-do to the next suburb. Suburbs are basically the ultimate consumer product, with a certain element of planned obsolescence. In some ways, what we call "gentrification" is just that same process in reverse.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:50 AM

a lot of small-towns-come-suburbs have come a long ways to restoring their downtowns in the past five years. the townships are who really struggle.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:14 AM

But "restored" small-towns-turned-suburbs don't function as small towns anymore: government functions like city hall typically move to a much bigger, modern building with an expansive parking lot to serve the needs of the now much larger community, the downtown stores that sold essentials and hardware become boutiques that sell tchotchkes and antiques, the inexpensive neighborhood diner becomes a fancy restaurant for the newly affluent--or a Chili's. The old courthouse or city hall, if it's lucky, becomes a museum or other secondary public space. If it's not so lucky, it gets demolished to make room for the new Chili's or something in the interest of eradicating "blight." The town square gets demoted to the role of a secondary city park instead of the focus of small-town life. Walkability, mixed use and mixed-income neighborhoods are still lost.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:19 AM

wburg - good post, solid analysis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning