Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 08:57 PM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times

Advertisements

Because it creates criminals!

Wal-Mart's arrival in District looks like welcome advance for shopping, jobs

Addressing a small, anti-Wal-Mart rally at City Hall on Monday, Speaks said young people would get criminal records when they couldn't resist the temptation to steal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 07:27 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,871 times
So, even assuming that every last person in the city is a thief, wouldn't they just head to suburban stores and steal there? Or perhaps we can just build a wall around the city, and airlift supplies in once a month?

Old 03-01-2011, 07:29 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Just read Walmart is about to announce new stores in NYC, Philly, and Chicago and in the cores

Old 03-01-2011, 07:58 PM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Another strange quote was from a woman living in a NYC housing project. The city wanted to replace some green space and parking with another building that was going to be subsidized housing for the elderly and the residents didn't like the change. One of the residents protesting said, "Old people shouldn't live here; it's not safe". But at least she wasn't completely serious.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Because it creates criminals!

Wal-Mart's arrival in District looks like welcome advance for shopping, jobs

Addressing a small, anti-Wal-Mart rally at City Hall on Monday, Speaks said young people would get criminal records when they couldn't resist the temptation to steal.
Some poeple will do anything to get rid of Wal Mart. Say what you will, they have low prices, including on groceries. WM has a pretty good anti-theft program; I wouldn't worry about it too much!

Old 03-02-2011, 08:29 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
They are gung-ho here for our promised center-city Wal Mart. City Council approved the plan unanimously. I have mixed feelings about it. It's in sort of an underserved neighborhood. But then again, there are a lot of people here who schlep out to the suburbs for Wal Mart so I guess the city figures at least it will be getting some of that money back.

Wal Mart is here to stay. They don't get much of my money because I absolutely hate to be in one, such an unpleasant store. I expect that nothing will take down Wal Mart in the next 100 years.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:40 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
You could have said the same thing about General Motors not so long ago. I predict another decade before Wal-Mart comes to the federal government for a bailout.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:57 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Just read Walmart is about to announce new stores in NYC, Philly, and Chicago and in the cores
Are they planning to build massive parking lots to accompany them? I would have to imagine that they'll be in more remote locations, or they'll have to change their floor plans.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:00 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
They are gung-ho here for our promised center-city Wal Mart. City Council approved the plan unanimously. I have mixed feelings about it. It's in sort of an underserved neighborhood. But then again, there are a lot of people here who schlep out to the suburbs for Wal Mart so I guess the city figures at least it will be getting some of that money back.

Wal Mart is here to stay. They don't get much of my money because I absolutely hate to be in one, such an unpleasant store. I expect that nothing will take down Wal Mart in the next 100 years.
I feel exactly the same way. In my home town, Walmart just abandoned their original piece-of-crap building to build another one across the street, leaving the old one behind to let nature have at it. Such a waste.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:29 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
You could have said the same thing about General Motors not so long ago. I predict another decade before Wal-Mart comes to the federal government for a bailout.
And gets it?

I dunno. WalMart never promised anything to it's employees but $7/hour and a blue vest. GM had a lot of obligations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning