Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 08:56 PM

34 posts, read 94,491 times

Advertisements

I like it but I bet people will show me on here why its so bad (and thats good I want to know) but I dont understand why everyone is against it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 09:00 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,727,278 times
Because it's wasteful and environmentally selfish, not to mention more costly.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:01 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,594,298 times
Inefficient land use, leading to inaccessibility, waste of natural resources and wasted time due to long commutes and/or traffic congestion.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:04 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,421,104 times
I have no problem with sprawl.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:48 PM

739 posts, read 1,188,973 times
I've been wondering this too. Especially since, in the not too distant past, people were flocking to surburban/sprawled out areas, away from the urban areas.

IMO, I think it's some kind of leverage used (on here) to bash certain cities....

Old 03-14-2011, 09:59 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,428,987 times
I was recently in Vancouver, BC which is very densely built, more so than most US cities. It had a great atmosphere, tons of people out and about (despite the weather) and tons of things to do in a short area. It was never boring, everything was in walking distance and there was always something going on. This is what dense development creates: a vibrant, engaging community.

sprawl...well, it's all the same. it can be nice to live in, you have everything you need and plenty of space usually. but it lacks uniqueness or things to do and seems to create a more isolated culture where people don't get out in their community and choose to drive everywhere or go elsewhere for entertainment. People will drive to their jobs, drive home and sit in their home, and then maybe drive to a friends or restaurant or something. fine for them, they can do what they want, but it doesn't really add anything to the community as a whole.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:05 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,960,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Palm View Post
I've been wondering this too. Especially since, in the not too distant past, people were flocking to surburban/sprawled out areas, away from the urban areas.

IMO, I think it's some kind of leverage used (on here) to bash certain cities....
Bingo!!!

Old 03-14-2011, 10:15 PM

7,529 posts, read 10,266,897 times
Because it's ugly, a waste and land and energy, discourages entrepreneurial start ups in favor corporate behemoths and ultimately leads to a vapid way of life.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:16 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,421,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
I was recently in Vancouver, BC which is very densely built, more so than most US cities. It had a great atmosphere, tons of people out and about (despite the weather) and tons of things to do in a short area. It was never boring, everything was in walking distance and there was always something going on. This is what dense development creates: a vibrant, engaging community.
Vancouver has it's sprawly suburbs, too. There's Surrey, Burnaby, White Rock and Langley. You could even include Blaine, Washington in Vancouver's sprawl, despite the border.

Quote:
sprawl...well, it's all the same. it can be nice to live in, you have everything you need and plenty of space usually. but it lacks uniqueness or things to do and seems to create a more isolated culture where people don't get out in their community and choose to drive everywhere or go elsewhere for entertainment. People will drive to their jobs, drive home and sit in their home, and then maybe drive to a friends or restaurant or something. fine for them, they can do what they want, but it doesn't really add anything to the community as a whole.
True. But you can say the same thing about urban areas. Personally, I think small towns offer the most unique lifestyle.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:22 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,008,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Because it's ugly, a waste and land and energy, discourages entrepreneurial start ups in favor corporate behemoths and ultimately leads to a vapid way of life.
I'm with you on the first half, but the second half is not connected.

Just off the top of my head Google, Apple and Facebook all began operations in San Francisco's sprawl aka Silicon Valley. That's just a short list.

And, as city dweller, I can assure you there are plenty of vapid people in urban areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning