Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 08:02 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
This thread reminds me I should check out my local park. It has pedal boats, bumper boats, a little zoo and a steam miniature railroad. And paved walking paths and big fields.
I want to go here ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 08:12 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Remember the movie " LA Story" where they had stationary exercise bikes in the park?

Old 05-17-2011, 11:14 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,838,334 times
One thing to keep in mind is the rise in overweight people and young people and parallel increases in diabetes. It may be a public health priority to get people into the parks and other recreation venues. The problem is for the parks to be attractive enough. Many years ago parks and playgrounds had staff, like playworkers who worked with kids as summer camp counselors do. Now the only staff in most places are the maintenance people. Many big cities continue to have well used parks, and a lot of these city parks are benefiting from local advocacy groups. Some of the more established ones actually operate the park, not just advocate for it. The Central Park Conservancy, in New York, operates that park, and has raised 100s of millions since the early '80s to fund improvements in facilities, landscapes, and programs. In a place like NYC, of course, people are going to use the parks because relatively few have any private outdoor space. But as places become more spread out, gated, car dependent, and so on, there are more and more people with their own yards but far from any park worth traveling to. Parks like Central Park, Golden Gate Park, Fairmount Park, and many other big city parks have beautiful landscapes and waterscapes--as people have been saying, they're not just a ballfield--and that's important. Something unimaginative is going to have a harder time attracting people. The Boston parks commissioner who died a few years back commented that Boston's parks were in danger of being "loved to death", or something like that. Some of them, maybe so, but the huge and beautiful Franklin Park in Roxbury, which is an Olmsted production like Central and Prospect Parks in New York/Brooklyn, is in no such danger. I'm not sure it's even drug dealing or crime, just sketchy neighborhoods, fears, and lots of other nice parks to visit.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:27 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
What irritates me about parks, and planning for parks, is the instant a space is made available for a public park, this group wants soccer fields, that group wants a paved walking trail, and of course you have to have bleachers and a concession stand and rest rooms. That's fine for some parks, but does every new park have to be overdeveloped? Why not lots of trees, benches, a couple of picnic tables, and maybe a grill?
I have nothing wrong with trails. The rest, I would prefer not having if possible.

Now in the county that I live in, Fairfax County, the park authority here has bought some undeveloped land to save it from sprawl. I suppose having that is also better too in some ways.

Last edited by Joke Insurance; 06-13-2011 at 02:08 PM..

Old 06-13-2011, 01:51 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Parks are still popular out here in suburban northern Virginia.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Parks are also popular here in suburban Denver, as are the walking/biking paths.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:20 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Parks are still popular out here in suburban northern Virginia.
That is true. Some think of them as a place of refuge from the congestion and sprawl in our area.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:34 PM

896 posts, read 1,853,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
That is true. Some think of them as a place of refuge from the congestion and sprawl in our area.

That definitely applies to Toledo, Ohio where im at.

And I absolutely disagree that parks are becoming obsolete. I think kids might not be utilizing them as much, with numerous factors such as technology/media and obesity, but I think adults still appreciate them, and that their children will as well, as they become young adults, and can separate themselves from Facebook.

Im searching for a new home right now and proximity to a park is high on my priorities.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:45 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
I went to NYC on Sunday. I was great to see Central Park bustling with activity and people enjoying the holiday season. What a wonderful experience!

Old 12-25-2012, 11:11 AM

1,018 posts, read 1,850,657 times
Most of the parks here are well used. The mild Bay Area climate lets you use them year round. Berkeley also passed a tax override after Prop. 13 for park maintenance, so we get people from other cities where the parks are more rundown, maybe less safe (not a problem, just a fact). Some parks have bad environmental situations, like being next to the freeway, that one doesn't get much use. A tot lot in a middle class neighborhood gets enormous use, people drop off toys there for everybody to use. Playgrounds get used, soccer fields get used, passive recreation areas (grass) get used. Parks that are shared with schoolyards get used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning