Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 03:55 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times

Advertisements

The boston area seems to have a pattern to its devlopment that is unique
first there is a center city with old streetcar suburbs.
second is satilite cities of Newton, Woburn, and Quincy about 10-15 miles from DT boston
then suburban densities drop off to 1500-2500 ppsm.
then about 20 miles out there is another set of satilite cities of Haverhill, Lowell, Framingham, and Brockton,
then the suburban desities are between 1000-1500
then about 40 miles from boston there is another set of cities, Providence, Worcester, and Manchester, NH.
then the suburbs are of those cities and drop off considrable afer that.
any other metros that share that pattern, or is boston Unique.
and what other metros have seeable patterns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 05:13 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
I don't think other metro areas have such steadily declining density going out from center city. If you were to draw a graph of population density as a function of distance in Chicago, it would be very jagged. Some unincorporated areas have higher density than adjacent suburban villages because the County had looser zoning. Of course many have unbuildable areas as well. Boston is almost unique.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:20 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
No, it's generally pretty common to have steadily declining intensities and densities from a city or regional center to outlying areas. They're not totally uniform, especially if there are intervening physical features or other reasons why a particular area got built up more or less than its neighbors, but in general it's a fairly common pattern of development, especially in older metro areas. Newer cities, or cities that didn't grow to large size until later eras, have some differences (cities that suburbanized after the late 19th century generally don't have close-set row houses, for example) and recently-expanded (post WWII) cities tend to drop off in density far more quickly.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:33 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The boston area seems to have a pattern to its devlopment that is unique
first there is a center city with old streetcar suburbs.
second is satilite cities of Newton, Woburn, and Quincy about 10-15 miles from DT boston
then suburban densities drop off to 1500-2500 ppsm.
then about 20 miles out there is another set of satilite cities of Haverhill, Lowell, Framingham, and Brockton,
then the suburban desities are between 1000-1500
then about 40 miles from boston there is another set of cities, Providence, Worcester, and Manchester, NH.
then the suburbs are of those cities and drop off considrable afer that.
any other metros that share that pattern, or is boston Unique.
and what other metros have seeable patterns.

Philly would be the most similar to Boston (Maybe NYC on a much larger scale)

Philly has a similar core setup though a little larger but very close

Then many streetcar suburbs (Mainline, Abington, Jenkintown, Cheltenham, Media, Norristown etc.

Similar old town core/low density sorrounds for the burbs then a set of larger towns just outside Reading, Wilmington, Allentown/Bethlehem, Trenton etc.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:28 AM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Philly would be the most similar to Boston (Maybe NYC on a much larger scale)

Philly has a similar core setup though a little larger but very close

Then many streetcar suburbs (Mainline, Abington, Jenkintown, Cheltenham, Media, Norristown etc.

Similar old town core/low density sorrounds for the burbs then a set of larger towns just outside Reading, Wilmington, Allentown/Bethlehem, Trenton etc.
But it seems to me as a New Yorker that most other cities that would see this pattern (the northeast) are pushed together, while boston is more spaced compared to the others so to me it has a more obvoius pattern.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:10 PM

528 posts, read 1,185,514 times
I find cities that grow in a certain direction over another without any regard to geographical limitations interesting. For example: the NYC area can't grow to its southeast, because then you hit the Atlantic Ocean. But DC can grow in all of its directions, because it is more landlocked. Then why doesn't it grow in all directions evenly? There is much more sprawl to the west into Virginia than to the East in PG county MD. I suppose that's where socio/political factors come into play rather than geographic ones.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toredyvik View Post
I find cities that grow in a certain direction over another without any regard to geographical limitations interesting. For example: the NYC area can't grow to its southeast, because then you hit the Atlantic Ocean. But DC can grow in all of its directions, because it is more landlocked. Then why doesn't it grow in all directions evenly? There is much more sprawl to the west into Virginia than to the East in PG county MD. I suppose that's where socio/political factors come into play rather than geographic ones.
The Denver area can't grow much to the west, due to the mountains. Most of the growth of the last 10 years or so has been on the east side.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:15 AM

531 posts, read 1,146,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The Denver area can't grow much to the west, due to the mountains. Most of the growth of the last 10 years or so has been on the east side.
And to the north and south.

Development in the front range is interesting as it is all pretty much North-South, along the I-25 corridor.

I expect that fifty years down the road, the entire I-25 corridor will have been developed from Cheyenne to Pueblo.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:10 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
Cities and metro areas often have a "favored quarter," a specific direction where the wealth in a community migrated. The direction of the favored quarter can have a strong effect on subsequent development, and it also shapes and sometimes limits development in other directions even if there are not necessarily geographic reasons for the shaping. The direction of the favored quarter is often upwind, upstream, away from waterfront or industrial areas, or away from ethnic populations. As practical distances from a city center increased (due to changes in transportation) the leading edge of the favored quarter has moved farther and farther out in many cities--until the practical limits of transportation and geography are reached.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechMike View Post
And to the north and south.

Development in the front range is interesting as it is all pretty much North-South, along the I-25 corridor.

I expect that fifty years down the road, the entire I-25 corridor will have been developed from Cheyenne to Pueblo.
More south than north. The northern limits of the metro are about at 160th Ave (Highway 7), and it's pretty sparse north of 144th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning