Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 04:35 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,958,993 times

Advertisements

But of course! Anyone who dares to criticize the system should pack up and get out of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 04:41 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,562,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
There was a thread in city vs city where posters determined that the densest continous 47 square miles of LA, centered around Koreatown had a population of at least 1.1 million. So the core 47 square miles of LA are about 20-30% denser than San Francisco's 47 square miles. Aside from NYC which was obviously much denser, Philadelphia and Chicago were similar or less dense than LA in their core 47 square miles and all other cities were far behind LA.

LA also has the densest urban area in America. If you want to look at an area smaller than 47 square miles, LA has some very dense census tracts too, only barely behind SF and Chicago if I remember correctly. By American standards, LA is dense, no matter how you look at it. The difference between LA and SF though is that the overall feel of LA is more autocentric and that due to its large population, it has a more expansive urban area.
Yep. I posted a bunch in that thread and remember it well. The post calculating LA is here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/18192639-post30.html

Still, I get the impression that San Francisco flows better from the downtown to its residential neighborhoods. But calling LA a sprawling suburban city is a bit inaccurate.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:10 PM

546 posts, read 1,178,465 times
It surely feels like San Francisco is the only "city" in California, I wish it had more.

I think that LA in the past before the 1940s may have had more "city" like atmosphere but how it developed after WWII it turned much of LA into sprawl. Another bad thing was that during the 50s and 60s many buildings were demolished to make way for cars and I saw old pictures of LA's central core, it could be confused for any walkable dense urban area but I looked at a current picture and many were turned into parking lots.

LA has a small walkable core in downtown and like others said here, Korea town too is walkable. They have a walkscore of 92 and 90, which is very good, but unfortunately the walkable areas of all of Los Angeles represent only a small portion of LA's total population. A truely walkable area would be like 80 and above on walkscore.
Downtown, Los Angeles - Restaurants, Hotels, and Landmarks on Walk Score

Old 10-23-2011, 05:18 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,016,309 times
What makes San Francisco unique is that it is the only in the entire western half of the country that is built like an Northeastern city. Its understandable for someone who is from San Francisco to go to another city in California and feel like they are in a more of a suburbanized city rather a more urbanized city. But to say that San Francisco is the only actual city in California is extreme.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
What makes San Francisco unique is that it is the only in the entire western half of the country that is built like an Northeastern city. Its understandable for someone who is from San Francisco to go to another city in California and feel like they are in a more of a suburbanized city rather a more urbanized city. But to say that San Francisco is the only actual city in California is extreme.
You need to go to Denver and Omaha.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:33 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKFire108 View Post
I think that LA in the past before the 1940s may have had more "city" like atmosphere but how it developed after WWII it turned much of LA into sprawl. Another bad thing was that during the 50s and 60s many buildings were demolished to make way for cars and I saw old pictures of LA's central core, it could be confused for any walkable dense urban area but I looked at a current picture and many were turned into parking lots.

Here's a photo of a downtown LA (Pershing Square)

from wikipedia:

File:Los Angeles, CA 1909 close-up 1.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

couldn't find a good photo but here's a streetview:

pershing square, los angeles,ca - Google Maps

Old 10-23-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Denver and Omaha are built as densely as San Francisco?!

Old 10-23-2011, 05:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Denver and Omaha are built as densely as San Francisco?!
Probably not, and I'll let someone who cares look up the stats. However, I did not think we were talking about density. Here is the sentence I responded to:

What makes San Francisco unique is that it is the only in the entire western half of the country that is built like an Northeastern city.

Both Omaha and Denver are built like a northeastern city, if you mean by that a downtown area, small lots, fairly dense housing, some multi-family housing, small neighborhood business areas and so forth.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Are you suggesting that Denver and Omaha are just as urban as San Francisco?

Old 10-23-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Both Omaha and Denver are built like a northeastern city,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning