Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 10:10 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,201,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

LOL. If someone calls you hip, you're not.
Nope I wear baggy clothes, nikes, listen to rap, drive a car, etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 01:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I don't remember stating Target was hipster.

And I still see health conscious counter culture people shopping at Whole Foods regardless of the CEO or company does.

And besides non-union companies are good. Trader Joes is non-union too.
That's the beauty of the internet. You can't say, "I never said that". See below. From the OP:

Quote:
Something I noticed the other day from driving my community all the way down to UCLA along the 101 freeway and taking the Pacific Coast Highway back is that communities are starting to end all development on the outskirts and re-develop current projects. And it's amazing in the past twenty years how some communities that were undesirable have created desirable neighborhoods. Examples in Southern California are Oxnard, Long Beach, and Claremont. Long Beach which has created a hipster neighborhood downtown and has also changed the port to a hip place. Claremont's downtown added a mixed-use center called the Claremont Village Square with offices, downtown apartments, shops, restaurants, and a hotel. Oxnard has added a movie center and other shops in the downtown and is also developing a large master planned mixed-use center with residential apartments, a lifestyle shopping center aka open-air mall, and an organic grocery market.

But this seems to be happening all over the USA with the "green" movement. More Whole Foods, Trader Joes, and Sprouts Organic markets opening up as people get healthier. More gyms. More Starbucks and coffee shops. Now people are moving away from wanting enclosed malls and boxy shopping centers and moving towards downtown development. Now people still like enclosed malls, lifestyle shopping centers, and large shopping centers because they offer affordability to consumers. And Target is also expanding into downtowns and building in shopping centers that aren't in a sprawl area. Also, the trendy clothing stores are starting to cator to the hipster crowd. American Apparel makes clothes in the USA and cuts down on globalization and also pays its workers an okay wage which is attracting hipsters. Urban Outfitters and Gap support certain organizations that many hipsters support. And it's in downtowns we see these stores opening up.

Malibu now has an American Apparel and is getting a Whole Foods soon. Trader Joes recently opened up there.

The college town of Davis recently got a Target.

The college town of San Luis Obispo recently got a Target too and has plans for a Whole Foods to come to town. And recently got a Fresh N Easy. And the locally owned grocery market just expanded to a larger location. And the downtown has several major redevelopment projects which will add a hotel, downtown housing, offices, and high-end retail stores.

And also, is cities like Tokyo and Paris you can see the increase in more organic markets, trendy clothing stores, more concern for the environment in cities, and more development in downtowns.
Target is mentioned not only once, but twice!

Old 10-26-2011, 04:19 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,763,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That's the beauty of the internet. You can't say, "I never said that". See below. From the OP:

Target is mentioned not only once, but twice!
And where did I reference in those bolded sentences that Target and hipsters go together.

Maybe I was referring to Target was apart of smart growth developments.

Where Wal-Mart and certain other big box stores will demand tons of parking, be in sprawling large shopping centers, and has a negative impact on local businesses.

I'm sorry your daughter got screwed by Whole Foods, but that is the price of working in a company who pays well and doesn't require the pesky union dues. Not many high schoolers are privelageded to work for a job that pays more than minimum wage, so ya deal with it.

And Target also sells higher-end products than Wal-Mart and also has done many environmental conscious renderments to their buildings which Wal-Marts usually don't know.

And Whole Foods being non-union AND selling locally grown products is a plus for them.

Costco sells products to local businesses at a reduced price and selling products in bulk doesn't directly compete with local businesses.

Sear's and Kohl's sell discounted clothing as locally owned clothing stores are usually higher priced.

Sak's Fifth Avenue, Bloomingdale's, and Nordstrom's sell discounted designer clothing.

Home Depot, Lowe's, and OSH sell home improvement products that local stores usually don't sell.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:24 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
What supermarkets are unionized?

I know of the ones in NYC/Long Island (esp the more local chains) are but I'm curious what it is in the rest of the country.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
And where did I reference in those bolded sentences that Target and hipsters go together.

Maybe I was referring to Target was apart of smart growth developments.
Maybe I can't read your mind. It was in the OP.

Quote:
Where Wal-Mart and certain other big box stores will demand tons of parking, be in sprawling large shopping centers, and has a negative impact on local businesses.
And Target doesn't! What a joke!

Quote:
I'm sorry your daughter got screwed by Whole Foods, but that is the price of working in a company who pays well and doesn't require the pesky union dues. Not many high schoolers are privelageded to work for a job that pays more than minimum wage, so ya deal with it.
It wasn't my daughter it was a friend of hers, which I stated in my post. I don't know what WF pays in comparison to the job she had coaching gymnastics, my guess is less. DD was making $10/hr and this was 2005. I'm not aware that WF pays so well. And refusing to schedule someone's work days so they can attend their own high school graduation is just plain mean.

Quote:
And Target also sells higher-end products than Wal-Mart and also has done many environmental conscious renderments to their buildings which Wal-Marts usually don't know.
Wal Marts don't usually know what? If you think Target is some model of environmentalism, you've got another think coming. They portray an image that they're so great, so does Wal Mart. We have both in our community. I don't really believe either one of them.

Quote:
And Whole Foods being non-union AND selling locally grown products is a plus for them.
I'm not super pro-union, but the major grocery chains in our area are unionized. As for locally grown products, that's another scam. Most of the stuff they sell is not grown here in Colorado.

Quote:
Costco sells products to local businesses at a reduced price and selling products in bulk doesn't directly compete with local businesses.
You actually believe that? Are you serious? If I buy it at Costco, I'm not buying it at "Mom and Pop's".

Quote:
Sear's and Kohl's sell discounted clothing as locally owned clothing stores are usually higher priced.
Sear's isn't all that cheap, and their clothing is frumpy. Kohl's is cheaper and more than just in price.

Quote:
Sak's Fifth Avenue, Bloomingdale's, and Nordstrom's sell discounted designer clothing.
Big whoop. I guess I'm not a hipster. I have no need for designer clothing, discount or otherwise. I remember well a conversation a friend and I had about how silly it is for people to buy these pricey items "on sale".

Quote:
Home Depot, Lowe's, and OSH sell home improvement products that local stores usually don't sell.
I don't know who/what OSH is. As for the other two, who cares? Most people buy what they need where they can get it. My DH goes to Home Depot about once a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
What supermarkets are unionized?

I know of the ones in NYC/Long Island (esp the more local chains) are but I'm curious what it is in the rest of the country.
In metro Denver we have three big chains, Safeway (national), King Soopers (part of Kroger's which has a fairly large market) and Albertson's, which is national. They are all unionized.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:39 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
Nei: On the west coast, large chain supermarkets are generally unionized while independent and specialty stores are not. The only one that comes to mind immediately is Safeway (whom I think also own Vons and Dominick's) because that's about the only major supermarket I visit regulrly. I think it is also common in the midwest. As union power and presence in generl has declined, I'd surmise that fewer supermarkets are union shops these days.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:19 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
In Minnesota, I believe most, if not all, of the local supermarkets chains are unionized, and I believe that is typical for the Midwest. Some of the newcomers, like Targets with grocery departments, Aldi's, etc., are not unionized, and that has caused some tension and picketing.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:35 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,763,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Maybe I can't read your mind. It was in the OP.

And Target doesn't! What a joke!

It wasn't my daughter it was a friend of hers, which I stated in my post. I don't know what WF pays in comparison to the job she had coaching gymnastics, my guess is less. DD was making $10/hr and this was 2005. I'm not aware that WF pays so well. And refusing to schedule someone's work days so they can attend their own high school graduation is just plain mean.

Wal Marts don't usually know what? If you think Target is some model of environmentalism, you've got another think coming. They portray an image that they're so great, so does Wal Mart. We have both in our community. I don't really believe either one of them.

I'm not super pro-union, but the major grocery chains in our area are unionized. As for locally grown products, that's another scam. Most of the stuff they sell is not grown here in Colorado.

You actually believe that? Are you serious? If I buy it at Costco, I'm not buying it at "Mom and Pop's".

Sear's isn't all that cheap, and their clothing is frumpy. Kohl's is cheaper and more than just in price.

Big whoop. I guess I'm not a hipster. I have no need for designer clothing, discount or otherwise. I remember well a conversation a friend and I had about how silly it is for people to buy these pricey items "on sale".

I don't know who/what OSH is. As for the other two, who cares? Most people buy what they need where they can get it. My DH goes to Home Depot about once a week.

In metro Denver we have three big chains, Safeway (national), King Soopers (part of Kroger's which has a fairly large market) and Albertson's, which is national. They are all unionized.
Well maybe I shouldn't say Wal-Mart doesn't know how to build environmental friendly projects, they just don't or people force them to.

Look, Target is better than most big box retailers in how they build. Targets are building two story stores to reduce on space, energy-effecient lighting, parking lots with spots for energy-effecient cars, and they are building in locations like large city downtowns and in towns in areas that are already developed versus building in sprawl areas.

Wal-Mart just wants to build and they don't care how.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:08 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,518,729 times
Quote:
That's somewhat true, but Wal Mart is attempting to enter the core of cities now, at least in mine. I'm sure it is much harder than putting one up on ol' Mr. Robinson's field out by the bypass highway.

25th street station

I think Wal Mart knows that they've got to get the design right because while our city council happily invited them in ("Oh let me get that door for you Mr. Walton sir"), if they put up something ugly that doesn't integrate well with the neighborhood, folks around here will hold the council members accountable.

However, lawsuits have slowed the plan, and the Lowes has pulled out completely (one of its many stores that was cancelled or closed last week).

I don't think it's going to happen.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Well maybe I shouldn't say Wal-Mart doesn't know how to build environmental friendly projects, they just don't or people force them to.

Look, Target is better than most big box retailers in how they build. Targets are building two story stores to reduce on space, energy-effecient lighting, parking lots with spots for energy-effecient cars, and they are building in locations like large city downtowns and in towns in areas that are already developed versus building in sprawl areas.

Target is in business to make money. All the Targets out here in CO, including the newest ones, are one story. Anyone is welcome to go to the Denver forum and start a thread on this if they are so inclined.

Parking with spots for energy efficient cars, what a joke! So these Prius owners don't like to walk a few extra feet in the parking lot? (I don't believe any of our local Targets have such spots).

Wal Mart is also in business to make money.

Obviously, both their business models work.

target superior co - Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning