Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 10:34 PM

546 posts, read 1,176,537 times

Advertisements

Has NIMBYism prevented any development in your town or city where you live?

If you don't know, NIMBY stands for "Not in my back yard" and that means that people who live in an area oppose something that might be built for any number of reasons. Sometimes people protest to the government to not allow a developer to build something, and sometimes they win and whatever it is the people who live there doesn't want does not get built.

What was it that NIMBYs in your town/city wanted to block and did you agree with them?

If the development project was successfully blocked, did you personally think it was good or did you wish the project went through?

If the project still went through despite protests, are you happy or not happy that it went through?

I will start by saying that in my suburban neighborhood, the government wanted to build a highway about 20 years or so ago that would pass through there, and we got a house on a lot for cheap because it was expected the highway would be built in back of the house. However, 20 years later the highway was never built, and recently within the last few years the government finally cancelled it. So we have this somewhat large but less than an acre lot that is empty and growing wild grasses in back of our house that is owned by the village, then more subdivisions of houses. I can see a large patch of grass on a strip where the highway would have gone. From what I heard, many rich households up further from the potential highway complained and they had a lot of power to prevent the highway from being built yet we got our house for cheaper when we first bought it 20 years ago because at the time we thought it would be built. Then the village decided they wanted to build a park in that patch of grassland in back of my house a few years back since the highway was cancelled, but it never got built probably due to the 2008 housing crash. I don't know if they're still gonna build it but I am sorta glad neither a noisy highway or a park has been built in back of my house.

Oh and happy holidays everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 10:47 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,730,784 times
The question shouldn't be whether it has or not, but rather, how much it has.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:26 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,898,097 times
Sure has. A developer wanted to build a new mall on the edge of town and it was stalled for years. Still don't know if or when it will go up. Right-of-way for a new State highway left a big swash of open space the High School wanted to use for athletic fields, but local residents stopped it.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:15 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Everyday it seems

People who live in these buildings have blocked multiple projects for fear it will block their view; I say we put a huge mirror up so they can look at themselves

Philadelphia::The Sterling Apartments | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mike_s_etc/6388643463/ - broken link)

And this next door

DSCF0348 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/goingstuckey/347981456/ - broken link)

Old 12-27-2011, 08:31 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,807,624 times
The NIMBY's (mostly old retired folks) blocked a trolley system from downtown practically to my front door before it ever got off the ground. I'm still steaming over it.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/salt-...uth-davis.html

Old 12-27-2011, 10:15 AM

5,888 posts, read 6,091,347 times
Here there was some opposition to the airport rail link because the trains would pollute, although I think most people whose homes it would pass by would have been ok with electric instead of diesel, it would have mostly just amounted to more diesel trains on an existing rail corridor. Generally though, it would be very rare for people to oppose the creation of public transit that would stop in their communities or to oppose parks.

Regarding specific projects, there was a proposal to build a luxury condo (13 stories) next to the river of my suburb's downtown, replacing a relatively well liked 3 storey restaurant. Some people didn't like that the restaurant would go, that it was so close to the river and the height (they would prefer height limits in the 3-6 storey range) although it was built anyways. I personally don't mind much since I think the building looks alright and there are older apartment buildings of 12 and 17 stories right next to it anyways. It's the building on the left in red brick:
Oakville, ON, Canada - Google Maps

There was also a proposal to build a gas power plant in Oakville. People were quite strongly opposed to it because there were some reports saying the air quality was already not too good due to a major highway, refinery and a couple other industries. The power plant would have been quite large and only a couple blocks from residential neighbourhoods and schools. The government wanted to build it there because Oakville was a pretty big suburb, and being well to do, the average resident consumed more than average, and they wanted to put the power generation close to where the consumption to reduce the amount of energy lost in transmission. I do wonder if it wouldn't have been possible to build the power plant a little further from town. The idea of holding a drive-thru petition for clean air wasn't a very good one though... In any case, with the recession power consumption wasn't as high as initially expected so the project was cancelled.

There was also a proposal for a 1400 unit condo project of 6 high rises on about 4 acres next to a commercial plaza, rec centre, library, park and bus stop in a single family neighbourhood where I grew up. Unsurprisingly it drew a lot of opposition, especially since the site was zoned for only about 400 units and smaller/fewer buildings. The suburb's council opposed it too, so the developers tried to appeal to a provincial board. The neighbours most opposed it because they thought it would bring in poor people and crime... which seems unlikely and also citing the usual traffic concerns. They were thinking of doing a roadblock on the highway but changed their minds. I think the project was approved at 800 units and 6 highrises up to 20 stories or so. Usually opposition to dense developments will be based on traffic concerns and height though, not on the make-up of residents (unless there's subsidized housing included).

Old 12-28-2011, 03:53 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,566,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Everyday it seems

People who live in these buildings have blocked multiple projects for fear it will block their view; I say we put a huge mirror up so they can look at themselves
Philadelphia::The Sterling Apartments | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mike_s_etc/6388643463/ - broken link)

And this next door
DSCF0348 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/goingstuckey/347981456/ - broken link)
I never could understand these people. So you move the fifth largest city in the United States and you're upset that they're going to be tall buildings around you?

Old 12-28-2011, 03:57 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Pontmercy View Post
I never could understand these people. So you move the fifth largest city in the United States and you're upset that they're going to be tall buildings around you?
This project was significantly reduced in height because of them

[CENTER]

[CENTER]

[CENTER]

Philly Shark: 1900 Arch Project Checks in to Center City Apartment Boom

Though honestly not sure it is all that much more attractive, the plus is far better street connectivity and bottom floor retail[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]

Old 12-28-2011, 04:04 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,566,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
This project was significantly reduced in height because of them

[CENTER]

[CENTER]

[CENTER]

Philly Shark: 1900 Arch Project Checks in to Center City Apartment Boom

Though honestly not sure it is all that much more attractive, the plus is far better street connectivity and bottom floor retail[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
It's also ironic because they themselves live in a highrise.

I'm glad the project is going ahead though, even with the slightly reduced height. In the bad old days they would have killed this thing and we'd have a parking lot for all of eternity instead.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:06 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,938,804 times
Baylink would connect the densely populated and internationally renowned South Beach to Miami's Metrorail (which goes to the airport starting this spring), but the NIMBYs out in Miami Beach are worried about undesirables (as in no yacht or country club membership) using the system to come to the Beach in droves. Here is one rendering of what Baylink could look like: Miami/Miami Beach Monorail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning