Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 11:47 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,962,835 times

Advertisements

Some clips that feature the best of both. Great architecture, pedestrian bike and transit-friendly development.

ERFURT TRAMS JUNE 2010 - YouTube

A tram gliding on grass?
(the rails can be laid on many surfaces not just pavement)

Straßenbahn Würzburg 1/2 - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 12:14 AM

London doubledecker bus + the opentop bus. The best inventions since sliced bread.

BORISMASTER NEW BUS FOR LONDON APRIL 2012 - YouTube

Notice anything special about these French trams?

REIMS TRAMS MAY 2011 - YouTube

Old 04-19-2012, 12:20 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,952,694 times
Growing grass around the tracks seemed pretty popular in Germany. Several stretches of surface track in the Munich area was through the grass. It cleans up the whole area, and makes it look greener.

Quick google image search of "gleis auf gras" (German for "tracks on grass") found this image:

The difference, you'll find, between places like these, and implementation in America, is social responsibility. Notice the first video, the trams go on the streets, with traffic. There's no bollards or fence to keep people from walking in front of the tram. No dinging, lights, or anything as the tram glides through a crosswalk. In our sue-happy society, something like this won't exist. There's too high a risk of someone hurting themselves, so the system would be near ruined.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:00 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,616,332 times
Barcelona does a good job with its grass tracks:

One of Boston's light rail lines (http://www.flickr.com/photos/awwoodruff/6224604968/ - broken link) runs on it's own right way through a strip of parkland; all road intersections are grade separated. A nice contrast to the city, and faster than the street running line. Within a half a minute walk you're back in developed land.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:05 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,545,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Barcelona does a good job with its grass tracks:
Quite nice.

We have a "test section" of grass track here in Baltimore. The Red Line, which is expected to be operational by 2019 or so, may a significant amount of grass track.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:52 PM

Nice looking train but I don't know why the city of Baltimore refers to it as light rail, which might be stretching the definition a bit. It looks more like a heavier commuter train than light rail. The width of it looks substantially wider than an LRV or tram, indicating commuter rail. Probably too wide for it to make a left or right turn around a street corner like trams are capable of doing. Correct me if I'm wrong. If it passes through the downtown area at all I'm guessing it probably goes straight through without making any right angle or sharp turns.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:59 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,616,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
I don't know why the city of Baltimore refers to it as light rail, which might be stretching the definition a bit. It looks more like a heavier commuter train than light rail. The train looks substantially wider than an LRV or tram, indicating commuter rail. Probably too wide for it to make a left or right turn around a street corner like trams are capable of doing. Correct me if I'm wrong. If it passes through the downtown area at all I'm guessing it probably goes straight through without making any right angle or sharp turns.
That is not commuter rail. Commuter rail uses much larger heavier stock and cannot run on the street. A hybrid that performs a similar function is an interurban; which isn't too common these days. The baltimore light rail is short can run on the street; it's light rail. You don't want commuter rail interacting at intersections. Here are two examples of commuter rail:

File:MNCR M7A Univ hts.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Electric; can be up to 12 cars long (one in photo is shorter). Grade separated usually. When not, there are crossing guards.

here's a diesel pulled one (engine not visible):

west coast (Caltrain):

File:Caltrain train 1.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by nei; 04-19-2012 at 08:03 PM..

Old 04-19-2012, 05:10 PM

It's definitely smaller than Caltrain. More comparable to BART in size which is also commuter rail but smaller than Caltrain. A better term might be medium rail.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:52 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,545,263 times
It can run in two car sets, So it's light in that regard. I think these are common cars for its age (about 20 years), no?

It operates in all three categories of grade separation.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:56 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,892,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
It can run in two car sets, So it's light in that regard. I think these are common cars for its age (about 20 years), no?

It operates in all three categories of grade separation.
It looks no different than any other light rail I've ever seen - different style but same general dimensions.

In fact, to me it even almost looks identical to the Green Line in Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning