Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2012, 02:02 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,871,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I haven't kept up with every post but it seems like this thread is getting a bit too personal.
My bad.

I was given a circumstance in which the poster willingly exposed that they hadn't knowingly driven with a BAC above .08.

I didn't mean to say they had done such a thing.

I just meant to illustrate the point that they could have driven with a .07, .06, .05, .04, .03, .02, .01... but didn't feel they were part of "drunk driving", at least not "knowingly".

Old 09-18-2012, 02:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
No, but anything under the "legal limit" is still "under the influence".

So you may have, is that correct?

But that doesn't matter. If you drove to Applebee's and had a martini (appletini?) and drove home, you were guilty of DUI.

Plain and Simple.

When you drove in you had 0 (ZERO) alcohol in your system. After you had that one drink, doesn't matter if you had "too much" or were "drunk" you were UNDER THE INFLUENCE of alcohol when you drove home.

Maybe if you weren't relegated to getting to Applebee's by car, you wouldn't have had to have driven home in your car after that drink.
I don't know what kind of a game you're playing here, but I'm getting highly annoyed. DWAI in this state is generally presumed to be driving with a BAC of >0.05 but less than 0.08. Your ability is not impaired at lower levels. You can go to church and have a shot glass of communion wine and drive home and not be DWAI in this state. There is no Applebee's in my town. Surprised? Aren't all suburbs full of chain restaurants?

The legal definition of DWAI in this state is impaired driving. In fact, if your BAC is <0.05, it is presumed it is NOT the alcohol that is impairing the driving. (Posted in a link previously)

Old 09-18-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
i haven't kept up with every post but it seems like this thread is getting a bit too personal.
n/m

Old 09-18-2012, 02:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
My bad.

I was given a circumstance in which the poster willingly exposed that they hadn't knowingly driven with a BAC above .08.

I didn't mean to say they had done such a thing.

I just meant to illustrate the point that they could have driven with a .07, .06, .05, .04, .03, .02, .01... but didn't feel they were part of "drunk driving", at least not "knowingly".
Right, like I believe that! You were goading, goading, goading. It's all my fault. LOL!

nei is right, you are getting highly personal. You are also lying. I did not say I had never driven with a BAC >0.08. I said I had not driven with a BAC above the legal limit, which is a presumptive 0.05 IN THIS STATE!!!!

Old 09-18-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't know what kind of a game you're playing here, but I'm getting highly annoyed. DWAI in this state is generally presumed to be driving with a BAC of >0.05 but less than 0.08. Your ability is not impaired at lower levels. You can go to church and have a shot glass of communion wine and drive home and not be DWAI in this state. There is no Applebee's in my town. Surprised? Aren't all suburbs full of chain restaurants?

The legal definition of DWAI in this state is impaired driving. In fact, if your BAC is <0.05, it is presumed it is NOT the alcohol that is impairing the driving. (Posted in a link previously)
Maybe you've never lived in a small town in Indiana.

If you get pulled over with a BAC of .03 you could get a DUI... depending on if you were buddy-buddy with the cop.

If you weren't from the county (they can tell by the plate tags) you would get a ticket.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:11 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,073,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
You did not answer the question in the manner I presented it. I said to go strictly by the numbers. How can you know how many responsible people are there?

Without knowing the responsibility of all drivers, are you really going to sit there and tell me that it is likley that each will produce the same number of drunk drivers?

Laughable.
What I'm simply saying is the bar with the most irresponsible people will produce the highest probability of DUI's. You simply want to frame a question a way that will give you your desired answer so you can rip the suburbs and cars because of your hatred for them. Thats all you urbanist are doing.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:11 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Maybe you've never lived in a small town in Indiana.

If you get pulled over with a BAC of .03 you could get a DUI... depending on if you were buddy-buddy with the cop.

If you weren't from the county (they can tell by the plate tags) you would get a ticket.
Massachusetts is 0.08 for those above the age of 21.

Massachusetts DUI Laws | Drunk Driving Penalties, Fines, and SR22 | drivinglaws.org

I think New York state is as well. Re: Montana, I don't think Montanas drink more than parts of New England, but car accident deaths in general are higher. More driving, more rural than say, a car dependent urban/suburban location.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Right, like I believe that! You were goading, goading, goading. It's all my fault. LOL!

nei is right, you are getting highly personal. You are also lying. I did not say I had never driven with a BAC >0.08. I said I had not driven with a BAC above the legal limit, which is a presumptive 0.05 IN THIS STATE!!!!
Two quotes from you:

"I am saying that in the last 30 years or so, I have not drunk to excess in such situations."

AND

"I have not knowingly driven with a BAC above the legal limit in at least 40 years."

In my home state anything ABOVE A 0.00 CAN BE CONSIDERED A DUI... because it is.

If you get in a crash with a BAC of 0.01 YOU ARE AUTOMATICALLY AT FAULT, even if the person ran a red light while texting and tying their shoe.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:15 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,073,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
You do realize your the only one discussing suburbs, don't you?
You do realize the laws of probability (and thermodynamics) do appy even if you don't understand them?

And did you know Denial is not a river in Egypt.
I understand the law of probability, if you have alot of irresponsible people who drive to the bar, chances are, you'll have alot more opportunity for DUI's. I completely agree with that with the theory of probability. I know denial is not a river in egypt, and its sad that you deny they fact that lack of personal repsonsibility is the reason for DUI's and you want to blame where a person lives.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:18 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
I understand the law of probability, if you have alot of irresponsible people who drive to the bar, chances are, you'll have alot more opportunity for DUI's. I completely agree with that with the theory of probability. I know denial is not a river in egypt, and its sad that you deny they fact that lack of personal repsonsibility is the reason for DUI's and you want to blame where a person lives.
Again, no one has said drunk drivers are not responsible for their choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning