Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 03:04 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,873,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
like i told nei, getting into a car drunk is personal responsibility, not car dependency. If they would have been more responsible, they wouldn't be having these accidents. You simply choose to blame the car and the suburbs, I put 100% of the blame on the person.
Let the record show that the word(s) "suburb" and "suburbs" has been used by this poster for the past God knows how many posts... no one else that I can remember is using that word(s).

Like I said before, I lived in Indianapolis... HAVE YOU????

I KNOW Indianapolis is car dependent.

Does that pop a hole in your argument?

Not yet?... Okay then... let me think...

Chicago offers $0.01 rides on the CTA during New Year's Eve (quite possibly the most nationally drunk holiday) to not give people an excuse to even THINK about driving drunk that night. In actuality they don't even charge a penny. They just make people use the turnstiles.

Because the city WAS PLANNED TO INCLUDE OTHER MODES OF TRANSIT OTHER THAN CARS they can do such a thing and throw the book at drunk driver offenders...

What does you area of residence do for that night/day?

Free taxi rides? Free bus rides? What?

Or do they expect you to drink at home and not leave your house?

Old 09-18-2012, 03:04 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,568,079 times
Quote:
The problem with this thread is that urbanist in their blind hatred for cars and the suburbs, choose to sink to a new low and blame the suburbs for DUI's because that's what urbanist do, just blame the suburbs, and I as a surburbanite am blaming personal responsibility. This is no different than politics. We're are simply taking the same topic and arguing from the way we live our lives. Urbanist simply hate cars and car dependent neighborhoods, and want to see them burn to the ground along with cars. I'm a surburbanite, and former resident of the urban life who never drank the urban kool-aid of suburban hatred, recognizes that blame falls 100% on the person who drove drunk. You guys hate the suburbs, I don't so I'm defending it, and you are ripping it.
The problem with this thread is the suburbanists believing that drunk driving is not affected by the amount of driving!

Old 09-18-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Pretend? What the heck am I pretending? I know the law in Colorado. You're the one who tried to say DUI is different that what the legal defintion is in this state.
I thought you were a "nurse" or something, right?

If you have one drink, then get in your car and drive, you are driving under the influence of alcohol, correct?

Old 09-18-2012, 03:05 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
Chicago offers $0.01 rides on the CTA during New Year's Eve (quite possibly the most nationally drunk holiday) to not give people an excuse to even THINK about driving drunk that night. In actuality they don't even charge a penny. They just make people use the turnstiles.
I haven't heard of that idea. NYC on new year's eve I observed someone smoking a cigarette on a subway train. And someone drinking a beer on the train. Was loud. And 4 am.

Another friend said he saw someone puking onto the subway tracks (around midnight).

Old 09-18-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
what about them? We're talking about the person who gets into the car who is drunk.
we are? you are, I dunno why, why do you care so much about the drunk driver? I'm not; I'm talking about the incidence of drunk driving in general.

Isn't the person who gets hit worth worrying about more?

Old 09-18-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I haven't heard of that idea. NYC on new year's eve I observed someone smoking a cigarette on a subway train. And someone drinking a beer on the train. Was loud. And 4 am.

Another friend said he saw someone puking onto the subway tracks (around midnight).
It's true.

CTA again offers penny rides New Year

The evil "urbanists" of Chicago know that people WILL drink and drive on a certain day, no matter the punishment, and try to stop them by offering monetary incentives. Consequently, some of the most packed trains/buses are on NYE from 1-4 AM

Old 09-18-2012, 03:11 PM

NYC subway train, NYE (11 pm?)

Old 09-18-2012, 03:11 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,077,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
Let the record show that the word(s) "suburb" and "suburbs" has been used by this poster for the past God knows how many posts... no one else that I can remember is using that word(s).

Like I said before, I lived in Indianapolis... HAVE YOU????

I KNOW Indianapolis is car dependent.

Does that pop a hole in your argument?

Not yet?... Okay then... let me think...

Because the city WAS PLANNED TO INCLUDE OTHER MODES OF TRANSIT OTHER THAN CARS they can do such a thing and throw the book at drunk driver offenders...

What does you area of residence do for that night/day?

Free taxi rides? Free bus rides? What?

Or do they expect you to drink at home and not leave your house?
Why would my area need to do anything? Taxis don't disappear after new years eve or some other holiday, the trains don't stop working, nor does the bus. My city offers other modes of transportation 365 days out the year, if you don't use it, they will throw the book at you. As far as my use of "suburbs", that is what this entire thread is about, bashing the suburbs.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:16 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,077,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
we are? you are, I dunno why, why do you care so much about the drunk driver? I'm not; I'm talking about the incidence of drunk driving in general.

Isn't the person who gets hit worth worrying about more?
Because even if you manage to get more environments like manhattan, you are still going to have drunk drivers, because they are irreponsible.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Why would my area need to do anything? Taxis don't disappear after new years eve or some other holiday, the trains don't stop working, nor does the bus. My city offers other modes of transportation 365 days out the year, if you don't use it, they will throw the book at you. As far as my use of "suburbs", that is what this entire thread is about, bashing the suburbs.
So you don't live in the suburbs?

And for your information, you could replace the word "suburbs" with "Indianapolis" in all of your posts, and I don't think we would disagree.

Many people bash Indy for being a suburb. And one of the things that gets railed on is the transit and how you HAVE TO USE A CAR to be a part of the city. I've done it myself. Check out the Indianapolis forum. I have two threads devoted to it.

Would you care to rethink your suburbs=martyr position now that you know that "cities" get bashed for being car dependent as well?

Or are you still getting a high off of knowing that "everyone is bashing the suburbs"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning