Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 09:06 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,592,348 times

Advertisements

should there be non-profit organizations for the middle class to help prevent various messes, e.g.: cities turning into only 2 classes (poor and rich)? (that's just one example)

i ask this because there are so many non-profits aimed at low-income people and the seriously poor, yet when it comes to the middle class, the middle is left to their own devices. it crossed my mind briefly that it might behoove the country as a whole if there were some non-profits aimed at helping the middle class.

there was a thread awhile back in the nyc forum saying the middle class is leaving nyc and that's where the thought crossed my mind. (i.e.: wow, i'm unaware of any nfp's that specifically help the middle class)

anyway, i read the welcome sticky for this forum and after doing so, imo, this thread is okay to be here. i didn't want this to be in the politics forum, where neuroses fly violently around like cinders in hell, making it feel like "anger city" or hades itself. this thread isn't negative enough to get more than 3 responses there, so here it is ...i hope to get interesting comments.

also, do you feel non-profits are just more government in disguise? in theory, nfp's have local insight into local issues and because of this can solve problems much better than big distant government.

Last edited by grimace8; 05-24-2012 at 09:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 09:11 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,518,729 times
I am middle classed and received assistance from a housing nonprofit to buy my home. Stuff is out there, especially for mortgages.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:41 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
should there be non-profit organizations for the middle class to help prevent various messes, e.g.: cities turning into only 2 classes (poor and rich)? (that's just one example)

i ask this because there are so many non-profits aimed at low-income people and the seriously poor, yet when it comes to the middle class, the middle is left to their own devices. it crossed my mind briefly that it might behoove the country as a whole if there were some non-profits aimed at helping the middle class.

there was a thread awhile back in the nyc forum saying the middle class is leaving nyc and that's where the thought crossed my mind. (i.e.: wow, i'm unaware of any nfp's that specifically help the middle class)

anyway, i read the welcome sticky for this forum and after doing so, imo, this thread is okay to be here. i didn't want this to be in the politics forum, where neuroses fly violently around like cinders in hell, making it feel like "anger city" or hades itself. this thread isn't negative enough to get more than 3 responses there, so here it is ...i hope to get interesting comments.

also, do you feel non-profits are just more government in disguise? in theory, nfp's have local insight into local issues and because of this can solve problems much better than big distant government.
1. HUTD is right, there are assistance programs for the "middle class". There are also programs available for health care, especially for kids, e.g. SCHIP, for which the maximum income is pretty high.

2. Non-profits are neither better nor worse than the government, or some for-profits, IMO. I have worked for all three types, neither has a corner on organization, employee policies, etc.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:14 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
There used to be more of them--they were called "unions."

Old 05-24-2012, 07:49 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
By current standards people needing any kind of assistance are not middle class. Doctors, lawyers and others that own homes, have secure jobs considered professionals are the middle class. They are people with boats and vacation homes. Anything less is considered working class or poor. Middle class used to be a lot bigger percentage than it is now.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:07 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Doctors/lawyers would be the upper middle-class, many would be upper class. There are no firm boundaries, so defining anyone who makes less than $250,000 a year as working class would certainly be a way of shrinking the "middle class" for shock value. Most would correctly call that sensationalism.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:36 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Doctors/lawyers would be the upper middle-class, many would be upper class. There are no firm boundaries, so defining anyone who makes less than $250,000 a year as working class would certainly be a way of shrinking the "middle class" for shock value. Most would correctly call that sensationalism.
There's a poster on P&OC whose argued that since certain regions of the country (such as Long Island) had high housing costs, people making under $250k could be considered working-class.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:39 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
New York is so expensive that some 80/20 buildings have a cut-off as high as $120K a year. There are lawyers who qualify for what is technically subsidized housing. However, it's still a for-profit building. I don't think there is much non-profit, non-governmental housing in New York. There are some Habitat for Humanity-style developments on the fringes, but doesn't make a huge impact.

On the other hand, is there really a need outside of New York, Boston and San Francisco?

Old 05-25-2012, 07:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Most states cover SCHIP up to 46K for a family of four; some go up to 69K.

CCF - About CHIP

Old 05-26-2012, 12:54 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,592,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
There used to be more of them--they were called "unions."
at least nobody said "oh, there are lots. they're called credit card debt counseling services!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Most states cover SCHIP up to 46K for a family of four; some go up to 69K.

CCF - About CHIP
thank you. when i next speak to my brother i will mention this. right now we're not getting along so great. ah, family
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning