Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 04:48 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
Have you ever been to Chicago?

Serious question. LOL because if you have then you wouldn't be arguing Baltimore above Chicago

I agree with munchitup those are the 5 most urban cities once you remove D.C. and LA. D.C. isn't there yet and LA feels very suburban imo
Neither of those cities were Gwilly's top 5.

It's pretty obvious it is East-Coast centric but IMO it's not that far off. The one I would argue most is Boston at #3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 04:48 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,946,082 times
Quote:

Serious question. LOL because if you have then you wouldn't be arguing Baltimore above Chicago

I agree with munchitup those are the 5 most urban cities once you remove D.C. and LA. D.C. isn't there yet and LA feels very suburban imo
Then get out of the Valley man!

Old 05-08-2012, 05:14 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:

I've visited Chicago a couple of times and of course everyone has there own opinion but I wouldn't say that Chicago is leaps and bounds ahead of Baltimore in terms of urbanity. If anything they are close. I know it may come off as a little east coast bias to some but it is what it is IMO.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:23 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,720,490 times
NY
SF
LA
Chicago
In that order have the top 4 spots locked

Philly
Boston
DC
Next group in that order

Seattle
Miami
Detroit
Houston
Dallas
Atlanta
Round out the major cities in that order.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:14 PM

303 posts, read 578,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
NY
SF
LA
Chicago
I have not been to DC before but I know it deserves the top spot. Even though LA is urban, trade LA with DC.

Most Urban in order
NY
SF
DC
CHI

Old 05-08-2012, 07:25 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,272,320 times
1) New York
2) Chi/Philly
3) San Fran
4) DC
5) Seattle
6) Atlanta
7) Baltimore/Detroit (maybe a slightly different definition of urban :/)
8) LA (go downtown, echo park, wilshire, westlake, westwood, century city, Hollywood...pick one).
9) And all the rest...here on Gilligan's Island

Old 05-08-2012, 07:27 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,949,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Chaser View Post
I have not been to DC before but I know it deserves the top spot. Even though LA is urban, trade LA with DC.

Most Urban in order
NY
SF
DC
CHI
I cannot think of any aspect in which DC is more urban than Chicago. All things considered, Chicago is easily the second most urban city in the country, EASILY!

Old 05-08-2012, 07:40 PM

303 posts, read 578,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
I cannot think of any aspect in which DC is more urban than Chicago. All things considered, Chicago is easily the second most urban city in the country, EASILY!
I haven't been to DC yet so it was a assumption.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:54 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,713,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
"Urban" is pretty vague.

Do you mean most populated, most culturally diverse, most afflicted by crime, or something else?

Most jobs? Best restaurants? Best public transit?

Urban means different things to different people. Some of them are good, some, not so much.
This.

To most people on this forum, "urban" is defined by population density, cultural offerings, diversity, shopping amenities, nightlife, world class city status, whether or not the city is regional hub etc.

For many others, "urban" is a euphemism for anything pertaining to the vibrant but often insular culture of younger Black people born and raised in a big city. This use of the word "urban" is a popular buzz-word in the entertainment and fashion industry. By this account, cities like Baltimore and Detroit are epitome of urban. Ironically, Baltimore's urban culture is not popular or influential across the country. Most people in the Bay Area, or anywhere else, have never heard Baltimore Club music or probably have never drank a half-and-half or ate lake trout or had a chicken box unless they have been to B-More. I know people from DC who are oblivious to this world of culture that exists in Baltimore. Baltimore's urban culture, by this definition, is not nearly as influential as the much more ubiquitous urban cultural contributions of cities like NYC and L.A.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:58 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,883,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
NY
SF
LA
Chicago

Philly
Boston
DC
Next group in that order

Seattle
Miami
Detroit
Houston
Dallas
Atlanta
Round out the major cities in that order.
Seattle
Miami
Detroit
LA
Houston
Dallas
Atlanta

The layout of Houston and Dallas plus the density and the homes makes it seem sort of suburban compared to some of the other cities, which is not really that bad considering they are fairly new growing cities, plus in the southwest. But nowhere NEAR as bad as Atlanta's neighborhoods. That's another story. The largest maze in the world. I have never seen so much suburban like sprawl inside of a major city. Just look at a map of Atlanta with the side streets and all. It would be pretty hard to find 1 street in Atlanta to drive down for 10 miles and still go the same direction. Downtown Atlanta and a few other neighborhoods are ok though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning