Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2012, 04:41 PM

8 posts, read 53,398 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this really fits in this forum... but I didn't get any responses in Employment and work, and I figured some of you may have experience regarding my question.

I have a little less than two years left on an Environmental Science BS with a concentration in Hydrogeology. I just found out the university I attend added a degree program offering a BS in Environmental Policy and Planning (concentrations in either). The program director mentioned this degree would be a great springboard into grad fields like environmental law or urban planning.
However... grad school is not really on my radar at the moment, so speaking undergrad only- which degree will work out "better"? My original BS in Environmental Science, or a BS in Environmental Planning?
(I actually figured out I could potentially complete the BS in Env. Planning, with a minor in Env. Science and a Certificate in Sustainability in the same amount of time it would take to do the Env. Sci BS.)

What kinds of jobs would I most likely find myself doing with either of these degrees? Which is more employable and what is the earning potential if you know?

Thanks so much to anyone with any knowledge on the subject!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 10:16 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,793,315 times
From what I can tell in environmental and allied fields more of a hard sciance background is sellable than a broad based planning background. It's easier to do planning from a science background than vice versa. If you can meet the educational background for professional geologist registration with your concentration for at least some states you might have interest working in (P.G. registration is very variable by state, much more so than other fields), all the better. PIA prerequisites are always a lot easier to get when you're in college than chasing around later.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:02 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,481,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swannys View Post
Environmental Planning or Science?
What kind of work do you want to do, where do you want to work, and with what entity (private sector - developer, environental consultants, engineering firms, etc. or public sector - city, county, state, federal, etc.) do you want to work?

If it makes a difference, at the city I work for, the planners I work (or worked) with don't/didn't all have the same type of degree. The mix includes/inlcluded urban planning, geography, history, environmental science, political science, historic preservation, business, and landscape architecture.

[you really don't need a planning degree to do what planners often do]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning