Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 06:37 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,952,731 times

Advertisements

Anyone like to ride? After researching and shopping around a couple months for a bike, I decided to go with an electric. Nice way to get around when you don't need a car. When you get tired of pedaling press the button and go up to 30 miles in electric mode. Which lets you to bike to work or school without arriving all tired and sweaty. Also folds up quickly for storage. Had mine for three months now. This thing is pretty awesome and super-fun.

Mariner 7 | Catalog Products | Shop | Prodeco Technologies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 07:04 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
I don't own an electric bike, but I can certainly see the appeal. I'd like to see someone make a lightweight, small plug-in electric "car", with a bicycle drivetrain for back up if you run out of charge. I put the word car in quotation marks because what I'm envisioning might have four wheels and perhaps a body/shell, but otherwise would have more in common with a recumbent bicycle, but for two people.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:18 PM

A covered bike? Might be handy if you live in snowy or rainy area.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:21 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Cheater! Real men pedal.

I had fun trying to race against one; kept up for almost a mile.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:34 PM

lol. That's the cool thing about it. You can pedal whenever you want,
or not if you don't feel like it. The magic of hybrid technology.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:42 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
They're too expensive for a commuter bike... I've had a few old road bikes I've used as commuters, but those have shot up in price recently. You used to be able to pick one up for $25-50. They usually need a bit of work, maybe a new cassette and usually a chain and tires, but you could get one for under a hundred. Hipsters drove the price up though. Most aren't very fast, ~15 mph which I can cruise at easily. The other problem is they weigh a ton... like 50 pounds. I'd kind of like a folding bicycle for taking on BART... or I would if I still lived in San Francisco anyway. Probably not electric. 50 pounds doesn't sound fun to lug down to BART or contort onto a bus.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:44 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

What speed do they get? Is the benefit mostly less work up hills and no sweat, or they actually faster?

Old 05-18-2012, 08:02 PM

The top speed on this one is 18 mph. It hasn't given me any problems on some moderate inclines. Goes up moderate hills without slowing down much. I weigh 160. Don't know how well it would do in a very hilly area like San Francisco or in the country. You might want a beefier motor for the more hilly areas. Maybe five or six hundred watt. Taking your weight and the weight of the bicycle into consideration.

What kind of bike do you have? I came very close to getting this one but at the last minute wanted to take a quick peek at the electrics, just out of curiosity, and ended up buying one.

http://www.origamibicycles.com/files/gallery/25.jpg

Old 05-18-2012, 08:04 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Anyone like to ride? After researching and shopping around a couple months for a bike, I decided to go with an electric. Nice way to get around when you don't need a car. When you get tired of pedaling press the button and go up to 30 miles in electric mode. Which lets you to bike to work or school without arriving all tired and sweaty. Also folds up quickly for storage. Had mine for three months now. This thing is pretty awesome and super-fun.
That's a lot money.

[the idea has merit but I wouldn't do it]

Old 05-18-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
The top speed on this one is 18 mph. It hasn't given me any problems on some moderate inclines. Goes up moderate hills without slowing down much. I weigh 160. Don't know how well it would do in a very hilly area like San Francisco or in the country. You might want a beefier motor for the more hilly areas. Maybe five or six hundred watt. Taking your weight and the weight of the bicycle into consideration.
I can see a purpose in an electric bike, but I'm not really interested. I sit a lot, so for me part of the point of bicycling is to be moving my muscles around (unlike sitting on the bus or car). And I like the idea of being self-propelled.

Quote:
What kind of bike do you have? I came very close to getting this one but at the last minute wanted to take a quick peek at the electrics, just out of curiosity, and ended up buying one.

http://www.origamibicycles.com/files/gallery/25.jpg
I have a road bike but it's a heavier frame than most with wider tires. Called a "touring bike" it's good for commuting, carrying loads or just any long riding where top speed isn't the goal. It's a Jamis Aurora. My odometer has 17896 miles but 2500 is on an old bike. Most of my car miles is for road trips rather than local trips (usually by foot, bike or bus).

Here's a link about it:

City Bikes DC Blogoganda Corner: "The Jamis Aurora bores me, Alice."

And here's two photos of it. One local:

and I took it out west once:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning