Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do natural features like mountains and beaches make a city better?
Yes 110 79.14%
No 13 9.35%
Could care less and go either way. 16 11.51%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 03:57 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,527,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Please explain? I was talking to another Denverite who seems to think that people going up to the mtns on the weekends somehow takes away from city activities. This person could not, however, say just which activities are suffering b/c of this.
It's an overall trend. DT is relatively dull in Denver, lots of chain stores. There isn't a sophisticated city culture there that sometimes develops in cities such as Denver's size. There is not a burgeoning art/music scene there, or any other creative scene really. People are not into the same things as one might find in say, Boston or Chicago.. A lot of it is due to so many people moving there and Colorado in general for outdoor activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 04:00 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
It's an overall trend. DT is relatively dull in Denver, lots of chain stores. There isn't a sophisticated city culture there that sometimes develops in cities such as Denver's size. There is not a burgeoning art/music scene there, or any other creative scene really. People are not into the same things as one might find in say, Boston or Chicago.. A lot of it is due to so many people moving there and Colorado in general for outdoor activities.
but Denver is a smaller city than Boston or Chicago so maybe not the best comparison.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
What a crock of compost!

Yes, we're all a bunch of hicks who just want to go up to the mountains and shoot deer, or maybe start a campfire that will burn up the state!

Oh wait, that deer hunting stuff is Pittsburgh, right!

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 10-31-2012 at 04:40 PM..

Old 10-31-2012, 04:32 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,521,960 times
My friend lived in Denver for a few years and came back to Balto; lack of an arts scene was one of her reasons. I have no idea if it's just her opinion or not, but in keeping an ear open for "up and coming" bands as I do, very few come out of Denver. I'd say more come from Boulder.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:34 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Yes, we're all a bunch of hicks who just want to go up to the mountains and shoot deer, or maybe start a campfire that will burn up the state!
I though they were hippies that hiked and mountain biked a lot.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I though they were hippies that hiked and mountain biked a lot.
Nah that's Boulder. Trustafarians.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
My friend lived in Denver for a few years and came back to Balto; lack of an arts scene was one of her reasons. I have no idea if it's just her opinion or not, but in keeping an ear open for "up and coming" bands as I do, very few come out of Denver. I'd say more come from Boulder.
Boulder is a suburb of Denver, though they don't like to think so. I'm not into bands, clubbing, etc, so I can't speak directly, but just about every town around here has a "First Friday" arts walk, including Denver itself. There are many theater groups around here, including one in both my town, Louisville and the one next to us, Lafayette. The arts offerings in Boulder revolve around CU. Denver has the professional symphony, ballet, opera, etc.

https://www.google.com/search?q=arts...ient=firefox-a

http://www.denverpost.com/recommended/ci_21894627

Old 10-31-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Boulder is a suburb of Denver,
Are you sure? Didn't you refer to it as the city earlier when you cited the cars pouring out of it to work every day? Now that you say it is a suburb, that would make sense.

Quote:
I'm not into bands, clubbing, etc, so I can't speak directly, but just about every town around here has a "First Friday" arts walk, including Denver itself. There are many theater groups around here, including one in both my town, Louisville and the one next to us, Lafayette. The arts offerings in Boulder revolve around CU. Denver has the professional symphony, ballet, opera, etc.
Yes, the boilerplate arts offerings, all very well and good, and I enjoy them. But I'm talking about something different.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:47 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,527,896 times
Quote:
What a crock of compost!

Oh wait, that deer hunting stuff is Pittsburgh, right!
You are obviously super defensive about your city but I don't take anything I said back, I mean, those aren't particularly BAD things, having an outdoor lifestyle can be good.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
I mean, those aren't particularly BAD things, having an outdoor lifestyle can be good.
Yes it can, and Denver is awesome because of it, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning