Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 10:43 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,850,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Duly noted. While I disagree that riding a bus is inherently more dangerous than driving, I will not try to persuade you onto any public transit
Hi HandsUpThumbsDown--

Riding a bus, by itself, isn't inherently more dangerous than driving. But when you pack thirty people into an area the size of your living room, you get stuff like this

VIDEO - Gunmen shooting into a Philadelphia Septa Bus | 2 Video Newscasts FoxPhillyNews - YouTube

And this:

VIDEO - Woman pulls pistol on loud mouthed girl on SEPTA bus - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 01:44 AM

5,899 posts, read 6,104,862 times
Philadelphia does have a pretty high homicide rate though, 4-5 times higher than the US average, and 10 the homicide rate of Canada (the Toronto area is around average). Around here, it's quite possible the increase in traffic related safety from being in a bus instead of a car is greater than the decrease in safety from being around people who ride the bus.

Although the homicide rate in the US is around 4.5/100k/year, for traffic related fatalities, the death rate is 12. In Philadelphia though, the homicide is around 20. It's more complicated than that though, the risk of getting killed is much lower if you're not involved in crime, and it is lower still if you're in a car, separated from the public, but how much lower/how low was it in the first place if you're not involved in crime? You're also probably going to be safer in a bus than a car if there's an accident. The traffic related deaths also include pedestrians, which you don't have to worry about driving. I guess I just think it's interesting how people rarely consider the amount of people who die on the road when they drive.

Anyways, I biked home at midnight today and thought I'd keep an eye out for whether there were any females walking outside. I didn't see any alone, but these was one pair walking together, plus two male/female pairs. The only vehicles I saw around campus were a few taxis, I was able to spot females in two of them. So I guess women here might be uncomfortable walking home alone at midnight... although it's a small sample and midnight is quite different from 6pm (when it's already dark), or even 9pm.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:53 AM

389 posts, read 470,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi HandsUpThumbsDown--

Riding a bus, by itself, isn't inherently more dangerous than driving. But when you pack thirty people into an area the size of your living room, you get stuff like this

VIDEO - Gunmen shooting into a Philadelphia Septa Bus | 2 Video Newscasts FoxPhillyNews - YouTube

And this:

Whew that is some crazy stuff, sadly you can tell what part of town that stuff occured in or where the bus is headed or coming from. One bad apple can cast a negative image for otherwise normal people.

With that said, those women on the bus in that video, didn't fit the description of the women I saw late night Chicago. Specifically north of downtown near Arlington and Lincoln park.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:07 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,518,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi HandsUpThumbsDown--

And this:

Yes Ive seen videos like this before. I've never experienced it however. I have been in car accidents though. No matter though - it's not really the sort of thing that should be examined anecdotally. I'm certain that fatal car accidents occur at a rate far higher than incidents like above.

I also disagree that people in a crowded space is the cause of violence.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:32 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
My aunt doesn't drive, and this is not a good city for public transportation. She was very careful to select a neighborhood where she could safely walk to the grocery store, bank, drugstore, etc.

I would take public transportation, but the routes just don't work for me so I drive everywhere.

The biggest dangers here for the pedestrians and bus riders are the idiots who keep plowing into bus stops or hitting people that are trying to cross the street.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:26 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Anyways, I biked home at midnight today and thought I'd keep an eye out for whether there were any females walking outside.
I did a walk around the neighborhood around midnight and saw one female walking alone. Still rather quiet.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:27 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:

If that were true, the Lexington Avenue line in Manhattan (4/5/6) would be more violent. But of course it isn't.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:38 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,850,853 times
Quote:
Hi HandsUpThumbsDown--

I'm going to have to stick to my original statement. Saying that people don't become more aggressive when it gets more crowded flies in the face of just about every scientific experiment out there. A quick Google search of the phrase "crowding causes aggression" reveals a whole wealth of articles that have been written on the subject. Here's one, which accurately states that crowding is a major factor (but not the only one) that causes it.

Environmental Stressors and Violence
Quote:
There are three environment stressors that have been found to increase aggression: (1) Temperature (2) Crowding and (3) Noise. Stress is cumulative. It builds over time, growing in strength, causing frustration, anger, feelings of powerlessness and the inability to relax...

There have been several studies on crowding, from subjects in cities to housing projects to rooms. Where there is overcrowding, there will be not only increased aggression, but also depression. In other words, as living space shrinks, tempers, aggression and depression are likely to follow.

And here's the link they cited on crowding causing aggression: link

Old 12-04-2012, 03:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I did a walk around the neighborhood around midnight and saw one female walking alone. Still rather quiet.
And if you had come up and talked to her, she probably would have jumped out of her skin!

Old 12-04-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
And if you had come up and talked to her, she probably would have jumped out of her skin!
Next time I see a woman walking alone late at night in my neighborhood, should go up and talk to her to see if you're right?

In recent memory, the weirdest person I saw late at night near my place was an odd looking man in his 30s who seemed to be talking to himself. Turned out he was using a handless cellphone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning