Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 07:46 AM

315 posts, read 652,501 times

Advertisements

[I would like to exclude logging in this thread such as the rainforest and the forests of asia since they tear that down for logging purposes]

Why does the US tear down acres and acres of land just to rebuild acres and acres of sprawling strip malls and suburbs? Is this only a US thing? I have never been to Asia but in Europe this phenomena is not the case. Why does this happen here, it upsets me as I would rather look at a nice natural landscape than acres of Subways and Applebees.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 07:57 AM

21,142 posts, read 19,722,567 times
The populated areas of Europe were once forests.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:02 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
France doesn't too many "strip malls" — lines of attached small stores with parking in between the street, but it does have big box stores:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=carre...40.47,,0,-6.53

The built up landscape isn't natural in Europe or America, but there's more lightly developed land outside urban areas in the US than most of Europe, though you may have to pass through sprawl and strip malls to get to it.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:02 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
The populated areas of Europe were once forests.
Yea, Europe has far less forest left than the US. Mostly cut down for farmland or grazing land though, rather than cities and suburbs. Went to Wales and the mountains were denuded because of sheep everywhere. Sheep on the summit, really? And the locals think it's fine. My mother thought the landscape was rather bleak.

Also, if there's a herd of sheep blocking your car, scare one sheep and the rest follow like sheep.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:09 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Forests? I don't see too many strip malls in previously forested locations. Mostly because the forests were cleared first for agriculture.

What about the landscape that has been altered for agriculture? Is that bad, too?

Old 12-07-2012, 11:13 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
^^Wish I could rep you again!

These comparisons with Europe amaze me. Europe was "developed" long before the US. Western Europe is incredibly dense. I didn't see any forests that could be cut down to build strip malls, with the exception of a national park in Germany, which is probably off limits to development (as it should be).

Old 12-07-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

What about the landscape that has been altered for agriculture? Is that bad, too?
Yes. I think some portion (at least 20%) should be left as natural habitat. (See my complaints about the UK)

Old 12-07-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^Wish I could rep you again!

These comparisons with Europe amaze me. Europe was "developed" long before the US. Western Europe is incredibly dense. I didn't see any forests that could be cut down to build strip malls, with the exception of a national park in Germany, which is probably off limits to development (as it should be).
Germany is 31% forested

List of countries by forest area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Same as the US, but the US has large sections of the country that can't support forests. As to being incredibly dense, parts are, but subregions of the US (especially where people live) may have similar densities. France has the same population density as Pennsylvania. Massachusetts is denser overall.

While of course Europe was developed before the US, except for the oldest sections of cities, most cities were built up in the 19th and early 20th century. And Europe has built newer development in the last century, where the majority of residents now live. With far less strip malls, though they do have big box centers as I showed above.

Last edited by nei; 12-07-2012 at 11:44 AM..

Old 12-07-2012, 11:41 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,903,068 times
Save the whales man. Its like a total bummer when a whale gets killed and a forest gets cut. It makes me real sad when I see a mall cuz like a tree used to be there, know what I mean? Why did those trees have to die just so we can have malls and parking lots and all that other stuff my teacher was telling me sucks? I hear europe doesn't cut their trees, or kill their whales either, its like all sophisticated over there.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:02 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the awesomee View Post
[I would like to exclude logging in this thread such as the rainforest and the forests of asia since they tear that down for logging purposes]
Well, that's convenient for your theory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning