Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 09:27 AM

303 posts, read 579,126 times

Advertisements

What are the US most urban cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 09:35 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Boston, New York, Philadelphia, DC, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:42 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
yup

Old 05-08-2012, 11:10 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,266,628 times
Quote:
Yeah, I really need to get to Chicago. I have been to all of the others and they are all of my favorite cities (+ Miami)

Old 05-08-2012, 12:24 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,757,657 times
Quote:
How come nobody considers Baltimore urban? Does decay or under investment in the form of retail etc. take away from urbanity? I would think it takes away from amenities but Baltimore is still one of the densest built cities in the nation at least when it comes to the built environment. It's an interesting subject because I never see anybody list it on these kind of lists. I have often wondered why.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:10 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,253,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
How come nobody considers Baltimore urban? Does decay or under investment in the form of retail etc. take away from urbanity? I would think it takes away from amenities but Baltimore is still one of the densest built cities in the nation at least when it comes to the built environment. It's an interesting subject because I never see anybody list it on these kind of lists. I have often wondered why.
Because its small. Cant speak for anyone else but its more impressive when 'urban' cities hold their form for a vast area, having a huge population is just that much better.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:16 PM

814 posts, read 1,475,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
Because its small. Cant speak for anyone else but its more impressive when 'urban' cities hold their form for a vast area, having a huge population is just that much better.
Well isnt Baltimore about the same size as DC(in terms of population). But I dont know how large of an area the urbaness extends for compared to DC, so that might make a difference. I will say that cities like DC are much better well known than a city like Baltimore, and that just leads to Baltimore beeing overlooked or maybe misunderstood.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:19 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post

Would agree Baltimore is definately urban, some others are Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cleveland etc.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:23 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,253,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
Well isnt Baltimore about the same size as DC(in terms of population). But I dont know how large of an area the urbaness extends for compared to DC, so that might make a difference. I will say that cities like DC are much better well known than a city like Baltimore, and that just leads to Baltimore beeing overlooked.
Yes the population of the cities are similar but their construct is different. Baltimore has about 25 more miles of land area than the district does. Plus when you factor in the former areas of DC proper like Arlington and Alexandria it would put DC at 100 miles and a population of 1 million. These areas formerly were apart of the district but were taken back by Virginia at a time when DC was seeing its worst days. Their areas are different sizes Baltimore is about 3 million to DC's 6 million in similar land area although these days its hard to define which areas each city has an influence on.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:26 PM

868 posts, read 1,427,019 times
"Urban" is pretty vague.

Do you mean most populated, most culturally diverse, most afflicted by crime, or something else?

Most jobs? Best restaurants? Best public transit?

Urban means different things to different people. Some of them are good, some, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning