Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 10:12 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times

Advertisements

I know people who not only won't do these things but are scared of these things. They are scared it will destroy their lifestyle if a bike lane is built or public transit gets better?

As sprawl and the suburbs die these things are going to grow.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:15 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
see this example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Here's an article on the mastermind behind New York City bike share:

Nazi Islamic Bikes From Hell - NYTimes.com

more on the Nazi-Muslim connection:

Citi Bike Is a Nazi-Muslim Plan to Firebomb New York City

Old 06-07-2013, 10:16 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
The fallout from the implementation of Citibike has been rather stunning and completely hilarious.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...citi-bike.html

But to your point, most people fear what is unusual to them.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:27 AM

Sometimes a complaint is cost but people forget that roads aren't free.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:04 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
I do not see why you state people are scared of them, scared like being shot at? Or jumping out of an airplane? Seeing a ghost?

People do not like mass transit because it is not the convenient for them, and some places it is not even low cost.

DC area for example; during peak times it is $4.20 round trip. That is more than a gallon of gas in price just to go a couple of miles. The metro works because the traffic is horrible (external factor) and parking availability/price (external factor). If not for these external factors, a person would be better off driving. Not even factoring in the time it takes, delays, dead animal smell twice a month, no AC during the summer, smashed with people, etc.

A place like DC lacks tiered pricing; it is the same cost no matter where a perosn goes. This causes a lack of motivation to use the metro when not having the externalf actors in place. A person has no incentive to use the metro if it is going to cost them $4.20 to go to the grocery store and back when it is just a quick drive.

I use mass transit a lot, I did when I lived in DC and London. However, it is not without its faults, and the mass transit in Miami is plain garbage. I tried to use it when in college, but a 15 minute car trip was always a 45 minute bus trip, so no thanks. Plus the bus cost jsut as much in gas anyway, if not more.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:08 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
If mass transit was so great and offered a great substitute for a car, you would not have people getting on here complaining every other post why do people not like mass transit.

Instead of addressing faults with mass transit, it seems that the method of acceptance is to just shove down people's throats, and resort to ridicule if someone does not share a person's pro-mass transit views.

You will not find on the car forum "why are people scared of cars?" or "how can we get more people to drive cars?"; because cars sell themselves, they are great, and the equivalent of having your own horse back before cars.

So, how about people actually address the faults of mass transit and take the complaints seriously instead of dismissing them?

Old 06-07-2013, 11:16 AM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
I know people who not only won't do these things but are scared of these things. They are scared it will destroy their lifestyle if a bike lane is built or public transit gets better?

As sprawl and the suburbs die these things are going to grow.
I'm sure there's someone somewhere in the same way there's someone somewhere that is scared of suburbs.

I've personally never met anyone who is scared of public transit. I don't use it much at all anymore because it's inconvenient, but when I lived in San Francisco, Prague, and Seoul, I used it quite a bit.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:17 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Nobody's going to take mass transit unless it's convenient over any other method of transportation - and that includes cost.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
If mass transit was salready and offered a great substitute for a car, you would not have people getting on here complaining every other post why do people not like mass transit.

Instead of addressing faults with mass transit, it seems that the method of acceptance is to just shove down people's throats, and resort to ridicule if someone does not share a person's pro-mass transit views.

You will not find on the car forum "why are people scared of cars?" or "how can we get more people to drive cars?"; because cars sell themselves, they are great, and the equivalent of having your own horse back before cars.

So, how about people actually address the faults of mass transit and take the complaints seriously instead of dismissing them?

You do and you don't have to use it.

See already you get defensive as if cycling and public transit is a threat to you.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I'm sure there's someone somewhere in the same way there's someone somewhere that is scared of suburbs.

I've personally never met anyone who is scared of public transit. I don't use it much at all anymore because it's inconvenient, but when I lived in San Francisco, Prague, and Seoul, I used it quite a bit.
You can see posters on this thread complaining we should drive. People in new York are accusing bike lines of being a Nazi Islamist plot to destroy america. People are more afraid of public transit and cycling than they are of cancer, crime, disease, terrorism, etc. I don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning